šŸ“ŗ GOOD SHOWS (no capeshit pls)

Truth and lies.

Funny Bazza put up Narcos first and it got slated, the sheep are well on it now though, I moved on baby, moved on.

Yo TedMaul, this is television, not movies.

I actually feel for you. You must go to cinemas expecting to see Eastenders or summat. Disappointed every time.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Funny Bazza put up Narcos first and it got slated, the sheep are well on it now though, I moved on baby, moved on.

It was very well received once people had watched it. Stop being a meff.

2 Likes

River seems to have potential - Sixth Sense meets Swedish Noir

Chabuddy G is one of my favourite TV characters in ages. Love PJDN, though watched 1 ep with the gf and she just did not get it. Perhaps it just doesnā€™t work as well for people that didnā€™t grow up in (North-) West London, listening to pirate garage radio stations. Who knows?

Also, fair play Bazz. You called it. Narcoā€™s is pretty darn good. Brutal right from the offset.

People judge a book by its cover, a bit racist and judgemental if you ask me.

No-oneā€™s asking you, Baz :lou_lol:

1 Like

Digressing have you flogged that ticket yet?

For Leicester? Nope, but Iā€™m probably not going to now. I did ask some of my mates if they wanted the ticket.

For the Liverpool one?

Iā€™m not flogging my Liverpool ticket, and donā€™t know why you thought I was, mucker.

You coming out for beers with GB and myself?

Nah my Mrs grew up in Tokyo and loves it. I think you do need to have a bit of exposure to that type of people. She had plenty when we lived in Brixton and streatham.

So your Missus likes exposure and had plenty of it in Streatham and Brixton and she loves it, arenā€™t you concerned?

Is GB Great Britain?

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Originally posted by @pap

Iā€™m not flogging my Liverpool ticket, and donā€™t know why you thought I was, mucker.

You coming out for beers with GB and myself?

Is GB Great Britain?

Yes, correct, and its your round, for being wrong about JWP.

Watch the Shane Meadows film ā€˜This Is Englandā€™ in preparation for this post, if you havenā€™t already.

Done? Good. Youā€™re now set to watch the TV extensions, This Is England '86, TIE '88 and TIE '90.

I can recall few shows where Iā€™ve given more of a toss about the people it depicts (theyā€™re more than just fictional characters, donā€™t try to convince me otherwise!) As much as I liked Richard Linklaterā€™s film ā€˜Boyhoodā€™, you can stick your over-indulgent real-time filming because this got there first (and is far less pretentious).

I donā€™t like the term ā€˜grittyā€™ so Iā€™m not going to use it. Instead Iā€™ll say that the This Is England series feels real. The drama may demonstrate extremes but rarely does it edge towards implausibility. In fact I hope itā€™s true that TIE has concluded with '90 because in my opinion the creators have never put a foot wrong.

As a social commentary it ought to be studied in schools, if it isnā€™t already.

1 Like

Time will tell on this natural goalscorer and tacklerā€¦

Do you not find Shane Meadows at all pretentious? Iā€™m not knocking him (well, only a bit) as I think his stuff is usually really great. But it is a tad pretentious and self-indulgent at times.

Agree on TIE though, it is really good. Havenā€™t watched '90 yet, missed '88 and need to catch up. But the film & '86 had the amazing qualities of being almost unwatchable and yet utterly compelling at the same time. Some scenes were so brutal to watch, yet you couldnā€™t not watch. That is an exceptional skill, the balance of getting those scenes right most be a monumental task.

I dont think pretentious or self indulgent are the right words, but appreciate where you comming fromā€¦ and sadly my vocabulary is a little short of offering a suitable alternative. Some of the scenes were harrowing, yet as you say compelling and the final episode of '90 once again delivers this in spadesā€¦ exceptional TV. Left me emotionlly drained.

1 Like