Glastonbury 2016

Olly Murs has just been freed up by the return of Dermot O’ Leary to X-Factor, so he should be able to slot in there somewhere…

I’m looking through that line up thinking

a) I’m fucking old.
b) I need to listen to some more music in the next three months.

A) Please do not let Kurt Vile clash with someone good

B) Please put Kurt Vile on at The Park

Epic lineup now they’ve added ZZ Top!

1 Like

I’ve never seen them live, so will be looking forward to that.

I recognised loads of them bands, and I thought, woah, some of them might’ve been worth watching 15+ yrs ago.

have Elbow split up? Why is Guy Garvey performing on his own?

the only band I’d want to see out of that lot is the Syrian orchestra, just so I could throw bottles of piss at them and tell them to fuck off back to Syria and defend their country. Fucking liberal elite with their violins.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Fatso

have Elbow split up? Why is Guy Garvey performing on his own?

Nah, Guy is just pratting around doing a bit of solo stuff for a while.

the only band I’d want to see out of that lot is the Syrian orchestra, just so I could throw bottles of piss at them and tell them to fuck off back to Syria and defend their country. Fucking liberal elite with their violins.

I bet the fuckers come on stage in sandals n all.

1 Like

And some sort of ID I bet!

I am a bit meh about the line up. I’ve seen most of the bands that I recognise or have wanted to see bat St Etienne. But it’s fine I can walk around and discover other things.

1 Like

For me that is a lot of the fun of Glasto. Our Radio stations here are way behind UK in terms of range of stuff they play

Our normal trick is that when we are pootling around instead of having Sky News we have MTV on the box and that helps us hear a lot more in the months until we head back to Europe!

Also, some on that list I have seen and would STRONGLY recommend

Earth Wind & Fire - gave a FREE concert here 2 years ago, only one of the original members left - can’t remember his name - but the Vocalist was astonishing and there was a Vocal Sax solo in the middle that was one of the greates things I have EVER seen live. We danced like lunatics (even our pet Syrian Refugee danced and sang to them)

Of Monsters & Men were different and good chillax music - great sound with the strings etc - not worth missing someone great for but well worth it

So yeah so far so good plenty to see in there and research to do

Of the people on the bill at the moment, ones I’d tip say check out are:

Savages

Stromzy (G’warn, give Grime a go)

Daughter

Richard Hawley

Explosions in the Sky

AlunaGeorge (first album was decent, dunno what the imminent one will be like)

Hinds

LCD Soundsytem!!! (I am going to go completely insane as soon as the intro to All My Friends comes in)

PJ

Grimes

Skepta (More grime)

Grimes (not actually grime)

M83

Kurt Vile

Unknwon Mortal Orchestra

Santigold

Mac Demarco

St Etienne

Maybe, Blossoms? I know they are shite, like really not good. But, I kind of like their songs. For shame.

Get. It. Signed.

I know it’s not the point, but i’m not really very enthusiastic about that lineup. Only a handful of acts i’d like to see from there and none of the headliners really appeal.

Wolf Alice, St Etienne, Savages, Years and Years and Disclosure are about the only bands i’m excited about seeing - although there is the small matter of not actually having a ticket for this year yet! Have to wait and see what the re-sale brings…

years & years?

What you doing to me bezza?

Also is it too much to ask for The National to make an appearance? There’s a nice Glasto-sized hole in their tour dates so they could pop up on Saturday/Sunday…

I think I confused them with Tapes & Tapes…move along, nothing to see here…

Yea, I thought they were nailed on.

Had a youtube session listen to all the above that I don’t know. So far Grime is coming up as something I’d go see over most of the rest of it. I hppe to catch M83, Santigold and St Etienne.

I’ll have to check out some of the rest of the line up but so far I am not hopeful. Nothing’s grabbing me. But maybe I am listening to the wrong tracks.

The National would be good on the Other Stage. I wanted Bloc Party too.

If all else fails you will find me in Glasto Latino with a mojito or the comedy tent.

The comedy tent?

Are you slagging off Adele’s wardrobe?

That’s harsh, she’s cool.

1 Like

First stage of the pre Glasto prep work done.

Have retuned my Car Radio to Radio One (No not your version, our version!)

So while being flooded with annoyingly awful RnB & Hip Hop, plus non stop Taylor Swift & Bieber, it does mean that I am getting to hear songs from bands that are less than 30 years old (which is what Radio Two (our version) and karaoke nights give us)

Kind of hoping Mrs D_P doesn’t discover Jake Bugg or James Blake but then she won’t have a vote as we will miss New Order for Adele - that is a fight that I simply won’t win and a glorious and self sacrificing surrender will pay long term dividends :wink:

Meanwhile I like to start with filling in a range of “oh they won’t be shit” bands for when we wander aimlessly around in the afternoons. So far

The 1975 don’t sound awful and checking round not one of the DJ crew I know down here has even heard of them!

Bat for Lashes is the first “who the fark” from the efestivals A-Z list that I have decided sounds decent.

Monsters & Men will be a pleasant chillax afternoon in the sun with a few pints of Brothers Festival Cider (and yes, I have actually seen them before! Not bothered to see them again but worth checking out if it is sunny gang)