Glastonbury 2016

it’s mainly flat and grassy through a carpark. Potential for mud at the gate (which is a on a bit of a hill). Too late to back out now :wink:

That’s how it starts pap. Then before you know it you’re rolling around in your own shit and sleeping in the healing field.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Intiniki

it’s mainly flat and grassy through a carpark. Potential for mud at the gate (which is a on a bit of a hill). Too late to back out now :wink:

If memory serves, I have precisely 3,978 acts of violence I can legitimately get you back for from our teenage days*. Mostly pinches, but I remember a few light slaps.

How many steps on this Yellow Shit Road have I been jipped on? Is it less than 3,978? :lou_smiley:

*Tit-for-tat methodology duly employed

I was sad last year and wore a pedometer. 30,000 step a day.

Really it’s not that bad. Generally flat and just through a car park 10-15 mins depending on how fast you walk to Gate D. Then Arcadia area is next point realy or head to Silver Hayes. It’s the walking around the site that takes longer!

Legendary Australian rockers AC/DC have announced some European tour dates, including two in the UK in June.

Of course, June is, as most of you probably know from the headline, the month of Glastonbury Festival.

The Worthy Farm bash always brings in the big name acts, with an AC/DC appearance being thrown around a lot over the last two years, particularly since Metallica’s headline slot.

Forget those rumours, you are off to see Little Mix and Murs.

4 Likes

Last went in 1990 when it only cost £65… Am with rallyboy on this now. For a very similar experience this summer, do following:

1. Pitch small tent in back garden

2. Dig hole to shit and piss in

3. Move speakers to face out from back windows

4. Buy a load of random tunes from iTunes

5. Sit on grass in back gardedn and turn up the sounds on shuffle

6. Induce the shits by eating something dodgy form the fridge washed down with 8 pints ofwarm cider

7. Get the kids to set up hose on sprinkle and pretend its raining… constantly - if you forgot to take your wellies to the tent, pay kids £300 to go buy some

8. Send kids back out with £20 for a toilet roll - you will have run out by now as your arse has exploded into the dirt hole on multiple occasions

9. At midnight turn music off - go to tent - its not there/cant find it. sleep in mud careful to avoid shit hole which is now overflowing

10. Repeat x 3

11. Burn £255

:lou_surprised:

i am sure its not that bad… but in 1990, there were 35,000 and it was easily big enough.

2 Likes

Do love folk who don’t go telling those who do all about how not fun it is. Keep telling yourselves that. If you’re going to bed at midnight at Glasto, you are wasting your ticket.

Anyway, @pap. Last week it was ‘confirmed’ as Coldplay, Foo’s & Muse. They are all just plucking names at random based on who is playing any shows next summer. I’d be up for ACDC, certainly more so than Coldplay or Muse, but I’m not paying too much attention just yet.

I’m just officially an old fart now KRG - having done it 3 times when it was already getting too big for my taste, both in sweltering heat and mud bath and still manged to have a great time without sleeping for 50 hours… I think I can say I would no longer really enjoy when it get that big and that corporate… just no longer for me, prefer Cambridge or similar as for me it was always more about the music - and too many competing stages when you cant be in two places at once is irritating… as is the shear size of what it has become.

Did Reading five years on the spin back in the 90s. Started as a enthusiastic young chap with a plan to see as many bands as possible. By year five, managed to see only 3 songs on account of being getting too drunk in the morning only pass out for the afternoon and waking up just as the last band finished every night. Figured there were better ways of spending £80.

The only reason I saw those three songs was because the only flushable loos on the site were by the stage - after the first day, the chemical khazis were no go zones.

Sadly it may be Coldplay as they’ve kind of announced the end of their time together. I also have muse and foos on my list of possibilities but ac dc fit the old band headliner slot.

Anyway I am looking forward to it. Mud or no mud. Bands I don’t want to see? Bugger off around the site and just see what takes my fancy. Enjoyed chilling in the circus area last year.

Apart from the hugely sexist lyrical content, AC/DC are almost the perfect next rock band to play Glastonbury. Their stuff is very bluesy, surprisingly dancey and many of their riffs are just baked into public consciousness now, not that they were ever that inpenetrable to begin with.

Glastonbury should suit them too. The only criticism I’ve got of them live is Angus’ overlong guitar solos. I’d expect them to rock through as much of their set as possible. Think they have the same management as Metallica, too.

I still don’t the corporate jabs either. Compared to others it’s noticably less corporate. Certainly compared to other ‘bigger’ festivals.

I get the size thing, I’ve said many times myself that is a both a strength and weakness of the place. It’s awesome how much there is going on, and it’s also why I really don’t give a flying one about who headlines. There will ALWAYS be something on, somewhere, that I’ll enjoy. But, yeah, clashes are killer. And you are going to miss some people due to just not being able to make it across the site.

1 Like

Yeah, hence why they have been rumoured for a while.

There was an Eavis comment that was along the lines of “we booked a headliner at the side of the stage, whilst watching another headliner”, that really sent that one into overdrive.

1 Like

Just seen that Rihanna is at Wembley on the Friday night so she’s about.

My Birthday present 3 years ago was a Front Pit ticket for Rihanna in Abu Dhabi.

Tbh for the first 45 minutes I thought it was so sh1t I would have preferred to watch a Kanye West gig, But then she stopped singing her woeful new stuff and played about an hour of her hits and was superb.

Anyone else thinking we might have to fight with the “other half” and see Adele this year? Also worried that Rod Stewart is out & about on tour…

To the whingers like RB.

1. We have mini festivals here these days. They are perfect for those who hate the mud and camping and you can see the stage and they are around 90 quid to see between 4 and 5 bands a day. They serve a purpose in life, in the same way that you can buy a Bottle of 15 year old Chateau Neif Du Pape from a Vinyard for 50 Euros or a 2 year old bottle from Lidl for 9.99. Both a Red Wine but the experience of drinking them is a world apart.

2. We live in a plastic sanitized goldfish bowl, We hate it’s utter falsness and the falseness of 95% of the people here. We also see sunshine 360 days a year. For us the UTTER JOY of being reduced to stinking unwashed grovelling sh1t food eating masses covered in mud is an unbridled JOY. Glasto is a total Detox from everything about our “real life”. The ONLY fear I have ever had while at Glasto was the possibility of finding myself standing in the field next to Wayne & Colleen Rooney, other than that, every damned minute of it is FANTASTIC.

Still think if not AC/DC then Guns & Roses are a shout on their reunion tour

3 Likes

I was offered a guestlist ticket for the Saturday the year The Stones headlined. I turned it down as it was a single ticket. Just too old without a chaperone…the prospect of parking 5 miles away, finding the main gate on my own, finding the right stage, my car afterwards, getting home possibly cold,wet and hungry didn’t appeal.

The last festival I went to I saw, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Santana, The Byrds, Doors, Canned Heat, Jefferson Airplane, Dr. John, Frank Zappa, Steppenwolf, Johnny Winter, Hawkwind, Fairport Convention, John Mayall with Peter Green and a few others…all on a single stage over 3 days…what could Glastonbury offer?? :lou_wink_2:

I don’t like wading about in stranger’s piss while listening to badly-written excuses for hip-hop - if that make me a whinger then I wear that badge with pride.

1 Like

We once did spend 2 hours trying to find the car at Glastonbury. Not fun. But I discovered an app for locating your car. So alls good.