Glastonbury 2016

Cost sounds ok to me. Beautiful Days cost near on 400 quid for me, mrs g and kid. Not that bothered about watching headliners as the sound is usually shit and it’s too much of a crush.

Festivals are about finding unexpected gems on the smaller stages for me. That and watching the nutters.

2 Likes

Well last Glasto was the concert that I finally decided that I no longer gave a fuck about seeing the artist live that much. Our spot is just by the path that cuts through the middle of the Pyramid. We set the deckchairs up and chill. The kids can find us anytime they need to, and getting in and out for food and whatever is a piece of piss.

I was hesitant to post this, as I am aware that I have painted myself as something of a hipster of late. But I actually hope for headliners I don’t want to see.

Like you say, i like finding those hidden gems. There’s something so exciting about hearing a new act live for the first time.

The pyramid is amazing, and the sound is surprisingly good considering. But yeah, for me at least, the excitiement is in all the smaller stages. And then, you can talk about how you saw all the acts on the mainstage before anyone else heard of them, and before they got all mainstream, and changed, and stopped being cool. :cool:

*KRG rides off on his unicycle, twiddling his 'tache and eating a bowl of £7 cereal*

3 Likes

Green Man for me again next year. Going to do the full week this time. Kids still go free (or as good as dammit)

1 Like

Will probably do another festival, as well next year.

Green Man is high on the list. Problem is, there are so many now. Secret Garden Party is meant to be fun too, perhaps a slightly less emphasis on live bands? Which is fine, but perhaps not great for me.

That said, I’ve got a group of mates that always do Bestival. Going this year reminded me how much fun that place is.

I paid for a Reading ticket for my daughters 18th birthday present this year and that wasnt much less than a Glasto ticket.

Decent present, tbf. I’d have been chuffed with that.

I was probably harsh before. Reading is not without it’s merits. Especailly when you are 18, i.e. it is full of other 18 year olds drunk, horny and away from their folks for the first time (sorry SoG - not a comment on your daughter specifically, I mean the festival generally**). Christ, did I feel old when I was the for the day this year.

I still think if you consider how much it would cost to see all the acts you see at their own shows, it’s a bargain. But, you just get so much more at Glastonbury.

**Yes, I am referring to me when I went aged 17.

We’ve got an odd number of people going (five), and we’re glamping again, but doing the popup motel thing instead of getting a campervan. We’ve booked two big pitches, and this raises a couple of questions with the site. They think we’ve overpaid.

I explain that there are five of us, and that two are sixteen, and that I just booked them in as adults to avoid any bother. The lady was very helpful, trying to get me a cheaper deal. She’s like “do your daughters look like children?”.

“Put it this way”, I said. “When they go out, I worry”.

Giggles were had. Original tariff was maintained. Looks a decent setup. Hot showers, optional power hookup, decent security and best of all, a flat walk into the festival, excellent for unwieldy penguins like myself that fall on their arses three times as they go to see Metallica.

3 Likes

Good lord. First time i went to glastonbury i never even had a tent.

3 Likes

In the sorta words of Sgt Murtaugh, I’m getting too old for that shit.

I’d like to go to a festival, know that I can have a civilised shit, wash all the crap off each night, and not worry about valuables, etc.

Charlie Brooker once wrote “You’ll regret going fucking camping the moment you arrive”. That’s normal camping, btw, without the horrors of the long drops. I am simply trying to mitigate that regret :slight_smile:

Overnight 8 hour flight, straight on to a Stag day Saturday. Totally forgot the sale.

So luckily my mate got through. Glampervan Saints made it this year!

1 Like

Didn’t get tickets this time :cry:

We’ve had good luck in the resale a couple of times before, but my run of consecutive Glastos since 2007 may be coming to an end…

PS: £228 is a fucking bargain for Glasto. I implore you to go, SoG, it’s worth every penny!

My interwebs bff & I are destined to never share an irl beer

:cry:

1 Like

Tbf, as discussed in several places online and a text I sent pap during Glasto 2014, it’s unlikely I’ll be in any fit state to meet people for the first time.

2 Likes

Without wanting to sound like a dinosaur from the hit parade era…sharing a campsite with the general public, in the next county to the stage, and then standing at the back of a field of drunks, ankle deep in strangers’ piss, mud and plastic glasses, just to see Kayne West fumble his way through a dull back catalogue of lift muzak that is less edgy than a wheezy tortoise, really doesn’t appeal to me as a bargain at over £200.

Billy at The Joiners, Carter at Brixton, Numan at the Forum, good gigs at the Brook - yeah, but a festival?..not for me thanks.

You young people go enjoy yourselves.

2 Likes

5 Likes

That made me chuckle, but I stopped myself immediately.

3 Likes

Very true RB. I have never nor would I try & camp inside Glasto. Camper van every time.

Next year? One up on everyone. My best mate in Dubai “retired” back to UK last July to put his kids through Secondary school (fee paying)

He bought a converted farmhouse with 8 acres of land & a studio apartment over the garage. Next to the village Pub.

In Pilton.

I booked the studio :slight_smile:

Loo & shower Cooker & king size bed are nice but the true beauty is NOT having to walk up that damned hill every night to the Van park.

(Oh & limo to the door as he has the VIP helicopter pad in his garden

:verysmuggrin:

:lou_lol:

We’ve got a walk, and while it is fifteen minutes, it is flat and paved. Camper van hill was a complete pain in the arse.