šŸ•¹ Games I am playing at the moment

Big fan of the Lego games.

Really want a go on Dimensions, which is meant to be really good fun. But, the price is a bit off-putting. Keep trying to work to buy a copy for ā€˜researchā€™, alas no luck.

The gfā€™s brother-in-law also works for Travellerā€™s Tales, who make a lot of the Lego games. He wonā€™t hook me up either :lou_angry:

On a vaguely related note, my two kids (aged 10 and 8) have taken to watching countless, tedious youtube clips of some guy recording himself playing games like minecraft etc. and jabbering on continuously while he plays them. They sit, fixated by the inane spoutings of this guy. This seems to me a bit bizarre. Why watch this chap playing games when they could, after all, simply play said games on their own devices.

Incidentally, it transpires that Youtube is awash with characters like this chap although this one seems polite and doesnā€™t contiuously swear.

So, can anyone explain this behaviour my children are exhibiting?

My kid has it and played it solidly for 72 hours - brilliant game - what console have you got ? he may be happy to part with it

travellers tales made my avourite game of the 90ā€™s - Puggsy on the Sega CD

Over my head but totally normal mate - is it Dan TDM ? heā€™s a decent bloke and isnā€™t objectionable - its amazing how much media has changed insuch a little time. As they get older it will all be about twitch - watching older people play video games and ā€˜tipping themā€™ for doing it - bizarre

Thatā€™s the lad - Dan TDM. Mind you, right now one is out playing football and the other is playing some racing game on the XBox so Dan can screw himself.

So Iā€™ve been playing more of this Forza demo. Iā€™m going to post some screenshots up in a bit but graphically, itā€™s something else, and the amount of content Microsoft have just given PC owners for nowt is very generous.

The rain is probably the loveliest Iā€™ve seen in a racing game, particularly from the cockpit. You can see individual beads of rain hitting the windscreen, raindrops on the outside of the cars. Itā€™s stunning. Iā€™m off to get a few screenies.

Been all over the PS4 version of Ratchet & Clank this past couple of weeks. Playing ā€˜pass the controllerā€™ with mā€™lady.

Quite possibly the prettiest videogame Iā€™ve ever played and also one of the most _pure _videogame-y videogames. Platforming and adventuring and blowing shit up and levelling up andā€¦ Oh god, I need to go and play some more right now.

1 Like

Driveclub is still (somehow) half a generation ahead though. Almost makes Forza look flat and untextured at times (which is unfair, but only relative). The weather doesnā€™t seem to affect the car or its lighting in Forza either.

1 Like

Is DriveClub worth the punt? I can honestly say Iā€™ve never tried it. Got crappy reviews at launch, although I hear it has been made much better with updates.

It was a 6/10 at launch; itā€™s a 9/10 now. Absolute night and day. Itā€™s as if Evolution worked on it solidly from the gameā€™s release to the studioā€™s closure.

Recommend picking up the base game as a tester (generally Ā£10 now, second-hand or on the PS Store when on sale, which is often). If you like that thereā€™s the Season Pass which gives 20+(!) DLC packs and Driveclub Bikes, which is priced like a DLC pack but is good enough to be a standalone game.

The handling model took 4-5 hours to fully ā€˜clickā€™ for me but I reckon Iā€™ve put a good 50 hours in now. Still coming back to it because Iā€™ve nowhere near finished everything and itā€™s a brilliant pick-up-and-play game.

1 Like

One of the Gran Turismoā€™s went exactly the same way, if I recall correctly.

Totally lambasted at launch, with premium cars and standard cars (ported from previous console with no texture upgrade).

I do love this tiny taster of Forza PC though. It really isnā€™t anything more than a Gran Turismo prologue in terms of content. A big change of direction for Microsoft to give it away for nowt. There are paid upgrades you can get, but Iā€™ve not bothered. Canā€™t wait for the full fat game to arrive. I became a Forza convert the minute it came out. Will price Driveclub and potentially give it a go.

I loved the original. Slightly put off by the 30FPS on the PS4 for the remake, but will definitely pick it up when it is cheap.

On that note, thereā€™s a huge sale going on with PS4 right now in the PSN store. Plenty of decent stuff there.

Iā€™ve held off buying a PS4, but Uncharted 4 does look quite lovely

There is supposed to be more powerful, compatible hardware coming out. Be aware that it is on the horizon.

Decided to take argonā€™s advice and take a look at Driveclub. Bastard thing hasnā€™t finished downloading yet. No idea why. Got a fast connection but it reckons another five hours (on top of the 11 it has already been going).

Had a blast on Trials Fusion instead.

1 Like

Finished ratchet and clank 2 days after release, nicely done nod to anyone who has played all the others as its done as a flashback.

weapons are stunning as always and the clank puzzles arenā€™t as hard as they have been.

immersive, beautiful and a ton of fun

Originally posted by @pap

Decided to take argonā€™s advice and take a look at Driveclub. Bastard thing hasnā€™t finished downloading yet. No idea why. Got a fast connection but it reckons another five hours (on top of the 11 it has already been going).

Weird. If they havenā€™t changed it, I think once the initial file has downloaded/installed you can start playing the game. It fills in the rest of the content in the background.

This did actually finish downloading on Sunday night, so some thoughts on Driveclub. Itā€™s initially disappointing. Jumping from 4K Forza @ 60FPS to HD Driveclub was always going to be, and I would suggest that it is frame rate, rather than handling, that probably takes the most getting used to. I am over it now, but am still not entirely comfy in cockpit view.

Although itā€™s structurally a similar game to Forza - an overarching career mode in which you unlock new cars and stuff, the on-track implementation is completely different. As far as I can make out, thereā€™s no rewind facility, now a staple of the Forza games. Instead, youā€™re supposed to drive your way out of trouble, which tbf, has been more than possible on some of the events Iā€™ve messed up on.

The driving is a lot of fun, and I do like the sensitivity of the accelerator. A lot of corners you can take by easing off and letting momentum do the work. The scenery is also stunning, even at 30FPS :slight_smile:

Had another blast on Trials Fusion tonight and saw some strange stuff after a crash.

Now you might say ā€œwell, this isnā€™t really part of the game. Itā€™s an afterthoughtā€. And on some problems, like the riders arm not appearing to be connected to his shoulder, I have some sympathy. Quite why the rider ends up masturbating, shagging the floor, or both, is a mystery.

1 Like

Bloody love the trials games.

I might be able to get online in a bit if the gf and her mum (staying with us this w/e - joy) go to bed at a decent hour.