šŸ•¹ Games I am playing at the moment

Primal will be good, they need to pick up the franchise after the samey Far Cry 4. Far Cry 3 has the best storyline and adventure of FPS in the last 10 years, truly interesting and captivating storyline and characters.

Poor mans Skyrim - I got stuck at point where i had this massive monster to kill and a pea shooter to do it, I calculated it was going to take around two hours to kill him and there was no way of getting out out the dungeon I was in without killing him.

Dumped and moved on

Woop! Spent quite a while on Amplitude yesterday evening; think itā€™s been about 7 hours spread across 2 days. :blush:

Anyway, I probably I underestimated the ā€˜one more goā€™ appeal. To unlock all of the tracks you need to have played 60 times, and Iā€™ve already done that. Forgot to get the screenshots off my PS4 but my cumulative score is currently in the top 500 (top 2%) in the world, with several individual song scores in the top 300 in the world.

(And for good measure the bastard catchy music is well and truly lodged in my head).

At Ā£15.99, Iā€™d say this is a must-buy for any music game fans.

I have heard good things about it, what is the concept?

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

I have heard good things about it, what is the concept?

Hereā€™s a review of the original, by yours truly.

http://www.wayoftherodent.com/reviews/rev_amplitude.htm

I was still in my twenties when I wrote that review.

Like the review, seems a lot like guitar hero.

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Like the review, seems a lot like guitar hero.

The Guitar Hero DNA is present and correct - the first Amplitude was the game Harmonix created before Guitar Hero. I genuinely prefer the gameplay.

I prefer Amplitude to the guitar based games, I reckon. Both offer the same state-of-zen like thrills, where you donā€™t quite know how youā€™ve done what youā€™ve just done (and if you stop to think about it or mentally self-congratulate, youā€™re fucked). There is slightly more to Amplitude, what with the track switching and all, and I like it for being more ā€œgameyā€ than the guitar stuff, which is partially designed to appeal to non-gamers.

Like most games with a multiplier as a key scoring mechanic, it can be crushing if you miss a note, especially when thereā€™s no good reason to do so (such as not finishing off a section). It can throw you off the rest of the song if you let it.

I got it yesterday for PS4 and finished the Intermediate campaign last night. The biggest complaint that Iā€™ve got is that the soundtrack isnā€™t as good as the last one. If youā€™ve never played it before, thatā€™s not going to be a bother. In all other respects itā€™s better, refined or the same; I just donā€™t know if any of those songs are going to get as much love as Dopenose or Kimosabe ever did. Iā€™d happily pay another Ā£20 for a decent song pack as DLC.

Think youā€™ll like some of the non-career) bonus tracks, pap. Only annoying thing is that some of them take a lot of plays to unlock (around 60 I think, as I said above) but youā€™ll churn through them quickly enough Iā€™m sure.

The weirdest thing Iā€™ve found is what you touched upon there - often I complete phases without having any idea where I did it. Combination of muscle memory and deeper consciousness. Bizarre. If I start thinking, I lose the plot.

Add me up if you wanna compare scores - amplifiedAnt.

I tried Magic Piano once, I was crap and gave up. Could do the one and two point touches, 3 at a push anything beyind that and my fat, inflexible fingers refused to work.

Iā€™m embarrassed to say Iā€™ve some whose got myself addicted to Dragon City. A game designed for 5 year olds. :lou_sad:

1 Like

Rise of the Tomb Raider is out for PC today.

Donā€™t really know why MS spent so much cash on making it a timed exclusive. A three month wait certainly didnā€™t get me to buy an XBox One.

Trust me, it isnā€™t.

Without any want of sounding rude, you are probably their exact target market.

Picked up Arkham Knight, having heard good things from some mates at work.

Probably going to grab The Witness next month as well.

Happy I waited :lou_sunglasses:

Originally posted by @KRG

Please god, not for PC?

Iā€™ve put about an hour into Rise of the Tomb Raider. Iā€™m not someone that has really been that interested in the series before; the 2013 reboot was the first I ever bothered to complete. I was never really convinced by the originals; they were ultimately a bit tile-based, pretty much the opposite to what you want in a game of this sort. When MGS came along and defined what cinematic games could be; fluid with very decent production values, the Tomb Raider series was confirmed as a bit of an also-ran. I know people disagreed with me in their millions and that it did gangbuster sales.

I got the 2013 reboot on a whim during a Steam sale for six of your sterling pounds, and expectations being what they were, was blown away with what that game was. It generated a lot of controversy at the time because Lara almost gets raped. Having played the scene in question, I didnā€™t see any problem with it. Not only did it convey the terror and injustice of what was about to happen, but it was also a moment of empowerment; a crossing point which fit the narrative. Sure, that moment is eventually diluted when Lara murders a whole island full of bad guys under your direct control, but the game did an excellent job of putting her through the wringer, leaving her vulnerable enough to raise the stakes, but competent enough to overcome it.

The second game builds on that. Sheā€™s a little bit more seasoned and a lot better prepared, but still relatively green. The plot setup is barefaced larceny from Last Crusade; Lara is chasing her fatherā€™s obsession - everlasting life. They stop short of her going after the actual Holy Grail, probably because they are scared of lawyers, but itā€™s pretty darn close. Canā€™t really moan too much. Uncharted, the series that once ate Tomb Raiderā€™s lunch, also borrows from movies rather heavily. It is going to have a hard act to follow.

If thereā€™s one thing I love about the new series of Tomb Raider games that really sets it apart from its peers, itā€™s the level of environmental destruction that Lara wreaks on her travels. Very little she steps on is stable, it all falls apart with alarming frequency and it all looks fucking gorgeous.

Favourable first impressions, then.

Downloading The Division beta. Ready to play for the weekend.

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @KRG

Please god, not for PC?

Is it on Mac? Rarely play games on Mac/pc unless necessary.

Certainly not these AAA style games. Much prefer a console for that.

But nah, heard more than enough to avoid that!

Yeah, the PC version was such a disaster that they refunded peopleā€™s money and took the game off sale while they fixed it the best they could. That version still carries a product warning now.

Buyers beware!