šŸ•¹ Games I am playing at the moment

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Level 34 in Fallout 4 and loving it, not too sure whether to get Star Wars or the Witcher next, heard brilliant things about the Witcher but not so about Star Wars.

Lot of folks in the office have been playing Star Wars. It is, apparently, able to appeal to those not traditionally into shooters. Still not convinced enough to by it myself.

From what Iā€™ve heard Iā€™d go with Witcher out of the two.

Just brought Undertale over the weekend. Looking forward to jumping into that whilst Iā€™m off. Heard really great things about that.

Got another PC last week, so have been playing Saints Row IV in a bid to get somewhere near my daughterā€™s character (we plan on playing co-op). Perhaps fittingly for a game with a crime theme, itā€™s a fucking thief. It steals things from games, movies, anything it can get its hands on, really. The most obvious cinematic influence is the Matrix. It was always a GTA derivative, but it borrows particularly heavily from the Crackdown series for this instalment.

The one differentiator Saints Row does have is the humour, which is no way as subtle as GTAā€™s, but damn is it funny. You have the option to romance all of your NPCs, clearly a nod to Mass Effect. I was almost crying with laughter when trying to romance a robot chum (hey, I wanted to see what happened - and Iā€™m glad I did!).

Great series of games in general. This one is a lot of fun.

Amplitude.

Doesnā€™t look like much, does it?

I Kickstarted this more than 18 months ago and it was finally released on the PlayStation Store for PS4 yesterday. The original Amplitude was developed for the PS2 and released in 2003 by Harmonix (they were later the Guitar Hero guys, now the Rock Band guys). At the time it was the most pure and perfect rhythm action game imaginable, somehow nailing ā€˜easy to play, hard to masterā€™ mechanics, having the ā€˜one more goā€™ factor and being one of the most videogame-y looking videogames in existence.

I donā€™t think any form of media has ever put me into such a perfect flow state.

On first impressions (and despite lacking almost any licenced music), this new iteration is probably even better. Smoother, certainly. A few tidied gameplay mechanics. Extra features and functions that respect the balance of the original whilst innovating enough to make it feel fresh. Solid online leaderboard integration and *gasp* couch co-op/competitive modes (why is this such a rarity now? I primarily want to play multiplayer with friends whilst theyā€™re in the room).

The weird thing is that a good 11 years since I last played it, the muscle memory is still there! I can see this being my go-to game for a very long time. Doubt Iā€™ll ever complete all of the songs on the highest difficulty but will have a damn good go regardless. If Harmonix have any sense about them theyā€™ll absolutely rinse the DLC. Iā€™m buying.

1 Like

Fallout 4 and Battlefront, even though there are few maps and the content is bollocks and it will be an absolute rip off to get the other maps DICE have the multi player spot on, its really easy and engaging and very realistic.

1 Like

I am then going onto the Witcher which I can not wait for.

2 Likes

Still playing Destiny,mainly PvP now but its still a great game with great game interface. Occasional Battlefront but there is no cohesion in the multiplayer like there is with other Ops and I wish it had a decent campain /story mode

The boy got Lego dimensions for Xmas and its a cracking game - the Portal 2 levels are great and have Steve Merchant as the voice again, lots of humour and infinitely playable, not cool but there you go

1 Like

Nah, Lego games are AWESOME *does Lego dance*. I really enjoy most of them, really well made. And Iā€™m not just saying that because the gfā€™s Bro-in-Law works for Travellerā€™s Tales. Would love to work on one of them, one day.

Lego doesnā€™t offend anyone as well KRGā€¦

Fallout 4 and Battlefront, even though there are few maps and the content is bollocks and it will be an absolute rip off to get the other maps DICE have the multi player spot on, its really easy and engaging and very realistic.

Youā€™re a big fan of the Fallout series, right? How are you finding 4?

Iā€™m really struggling to get into it (reasons here, no need to type it out again). Dunno if itā€™s because itā€™s the first one I have played.

Re: Witcher, have heard really great things. Think I might get on that soon as well.

Another game Iā€™ve seen recently is Pony Island. Sounds really intriguing. Considering it is basically the price of a pint, pretty tempted to check it out.

Lego doesnā€™t offend anyone as well KRGā€¦

Youā€™ve obviously never stepped on the fucking stuff in bare feet. Pretty offensive then.

2 Likes

Yeah, I accidentally taught said Bro-in-Lawā€™s young lad a new word having done that. I wasnā€™t v popular for a few hours. :lou_eyes_to_sky:

Fallout 4 is brilliant but it is simply an extension of Fallout 3 which is no bad thing in my book, the gun and armour upgrades work great but the base and crop growing is still a bit rough and wil need a lot of work to actually be of any use, you dont need it at all so why is it there?

I highly recommend.

Star Wars as well to be fair.

Hmmm, fair enough. Maybe itā€™s just not for me.

I really havenā€™t seen any great impact from the weapons upgrades, and generally find the weapons a bit underpowered. I get what you mean about the base building thing, though I kind of feel that way about the entire looting/crafting system.

Havenā€™t played Star Was, so canā€™t really add much there.

Originally posted by @KRG

Another game Iā€™ve seen recently is Pony Island. Sounds really intriguing. Considering it is basically the price of a pint, pretty tempted to check it out.

Just sent this round to a few folks in the office. One of them commented it reminded them of this free brower game, Frog Fractions.

Curveballs ahoy, beautifully bonkers and a wicked soundtrack. Not very long, but would certainly reccommend having a little play around with it if you get the chance. Stick with it for a few rounds, the upgrades _ really _ change the game.

SW Battlefront mainly. Desperately trying to get my KD above 1.0 so I feel like Iā€™ve still got it. Currently languishing around 0.93.

Occasional forays into Alien Isolation which is (still) genuinely scary.

Massive fan of Skyrim how does Fallout 4 compare ? never had a game occupy me the same way Skyrim did. Shame I broke it with the restoration loop glitch and ended up punching dragons to death. They kinda lost that thrill when the music stirred after that .

Well that and the fact I couldnā€™t marry Lydia

RE :Star Wars - it is beautiful. The most stunning graphical environment Iā€™ve ever been in. Potential for it to be massive. Unfortuntaley there are some balancing issue. The guns donā€™t ā€˜feelā€™ a lot different from each other and there arenā€™t many of them. The hecticity of combat is nailed, explosions everywhere, ship battles going on etc. Sitting in the cockpit of an At AT is awesome. However you donā€™t really get much of a feel for teamwork ( at least i donā€™t) even on walker assault. Its basically run around and try and shoot stuff as an individual. Its great fun but it doesnā€™t draw you into endless hours of gameplay and after the first day or so me and the kids drifted to other games. If it had had a good story mode it would have been 10x the game.

I got the pre order wih the DLC so Iā€™m hoping it will evolve

2 Likes

True. On Supremacy etc. itā€™s chaotic. I have 3 or 4 companeros online and that helps when playing Dropzone etc with small teams.

I donā€™t have endless hours to commit fortunately but as a pick up and go shooter it is great fun and, as mentioned, looks and sounds stunning.

They are similar yet completely different, the same in the sense of looting, shooting, go here go there and level up but it doesnā€™t feel as much as a whole World as Skyrim does and did BUT I donā€™t think that was Bethesda intention, they wanted you to be part of a World as opposed to roaming a whole one.
Skyrim will always be everyones favourite and for good reason.

Very late to this thread but see there are some wicked games being promoted.

Played Witcher 3 and it was ok but I couldnā€™t get into the magic but my missues is addicted to it full time.

Love Far Cry and cannot wait for Fry Cry Primal when it comes out on 23rd Feb.

Played all 3 Uncharted games on the PS4 over the last 3 weeks, pretty good but I am finding I like the open world stuff more and more.

Played Destiny which I really liked althought didnt get the expansions but it has good ratings.

Currently playing Fallout 4, never played any other fallout before so not got a point of reference but I am loving it. The vastness of the game is immense and the things you can do can go on for ever. This is will defo keep me occupied until Fry Cry comes out and I can get all cave dweller on some sabretooth tigers.

Would also add my missus is addicted to Skyrim and likes Fallout but prefers magic in her games cos Iā€™m magic in bed :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: