šŸ•¹ Games I am playing at the moment

Itā€™s still taken very seriously in our house :slight_smile:

Juvenile Unit #2 is far more consistent than I at getting victories, but sheā€™s a motion control merchant. I keep it old school on the control pad. The key is drifting. Once the nippers get that, theyā€™re good to go (one of the reasons Juvenile Unit #1 is not good at MK).

Many would dismiss it as a clone, and Iā€™m not going to pretend itā€™s better than MK, but you should check out Sonic Transformed (the second karting game). Came out a few years ago, dirt cheap now.

A total celebration of the Sega universe (the Afterburner track is superb) and just full of the drifty mechanics that tend to characterise their racers.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @pap

Originally posted by @Sussexsaint

My 3 year old sat in the lounge with me last weekend and I taught him mario kart - had fun on time trials to start with but eventually put him in a game - finished middle of the pack a couple of times totally un-assisted.

These are the life skills we need to be passing on

Itā€™s still taken very seriously in our house :slight_smile:

Juvenile Unit #2 is far more consistent than I at getting victories, but sheā€™s a motion control merchant. I keep it old school on the control pad. The key is drifting. Once the nippers get that, theyā€™re good to go (one of the reasons Juvenile Unit #1 is not good at MK).

**Many would dismiss it as a clone, and Iā€™m not going to pretend itā€™s better than MK, but you should check out Sonic Transformed (the second karting game). Came out a few years ago, dirt cheap now. **

A total celebration of the Sega universe (the Afterburner track is superb) and just full of the drifty mechanics that tend to characterise their racers.

+1 on this. Think it may actually have been pap that recā€™d it to me. I really enjoyed it too. Obviously itā€™s no MK, but itā€™s still good fun.

Plus I am still a sucker for Sonic, so it is nice to have a game with him that doesnā€™t make me want to burn my childhood memories.

1 Like

Originally posted by @KRG

+1 on this. Think it may actually have been pap that recā€™d it to me. I really enjoyed it too. Obviously itā€™s no MK, but itā€™s still good fun.

Plus I am still a sucker for Sonic, so it is nice to have a game with him that doesnā€™t make me want to burn my childhood memories.

Thereā€™s loads to love about it. The risk vs reward boost mechanic is better than MKā€™s. No fucking blue shell! And it can be played at 4K on a PC. Quite surprised it never made the jump to current gen.

Lovely, harks back to the Ultimate Play the Game (Knight Lore, Alien 8 etc) genre of games on the spectrum in the late 80s, used to love playing those even though I wasnā€™t the good at them.

Only Ā£14.99 on Steam too, I might just get me some of this action.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @pap

Heā€™s been wanting to do a game like this for as long as Iā€™ve known him. Left a firm to setup on his own and did the damn thing. Love seeing his game outscore stuff from major studios like Gearbox. Eat shit, Battleborne :slight_smile:

Itā€™s something Iā€™d like to do one day. In the future though.

For now, whilst still learning my trade as a designer Iā€™m happy where I am. Thereā€™s a lot of talented folk around me, in lots of disciplines whose skills I can leech off for the time being.

Plus, yā€™know, life n that. Girl wants us saving to buy a place, taking that leap isnā€™t really an option at the moment.

One day though, even if it does nothing, Iā€™ll get something out on my own :lou_smiley:

1 Like

Gotta say, itā€™s a weird old experience playing something so personal to someone I know. The opening section has got a load of arcade games. Neutrino is a game that he and pals were working on in the 1990s. Ooh Aar Kung Fu is a farm-based fighting game that heā€™s always been daydreaming about.

1 Like

** Extremely geeky gamer voice **

Someone shared this at work tā€™other day. Itā€™s not a new game, or anything Iā€™m playing atm (that said, an HD remake would make me open my wallet double fast).

More just a really nice, well put together deconstruction of the Crash Bandicoot series. Iā€™m sure folk will have noticed the pattern, I 'kin love a platformer. Plus, ya know, Iā€™m generally a game geek and found this really interesting. Sharing here, as someone else might also enjoy it.

:lou_lol: :lou_lol: :lou_lol:

Crash Bandicoot Getting Remastered For PS4

The old Crash Bandicoot games are getting remastered for PS4, Sony just announced.

Thatā€™s Crash, Crash 2 and Crash Warped. Crash will also be appearing in Skylanders Imaginators in October.

Have you seen Yooka Laylee Kickstarter KRG ? looks liek it would be right up your alley as it were.

Thsi week I am mainly playing hearthstone

1 Like

I have, and it does indeed. I considered backing it, but wasnā€™t really sure how wise that was. Will be following itā€™s development, and hopefully picking it up when it does come out.

Ha thereā€™s a lot of people in the office that are Hearthstone obsessed. Itā€™s never really done it for me. Went to a talk by Eric Dodds a few weeks ago, the Lead Designer on the game, was **really interesting ** - heā€™s a very intelligent, and very engaging dude.

Another new game I am really looking forward to is Inside - from the makers of Limbo (also a cracking game, if you havenā€™t played it).

1 Like

I loved Hearthstone when I first started playing it, but itā€™s too much of a min/max game these days and too many people know what theyā€™re doing. When it works, itā€™s beautiful - itā€™s the sort of game that makes you feel clever.

When it doesnā€™t, itā€™s horrible.

Some of my favourite decks are the ones that let you completely take the piss (when dealt out the right way). Unfortunately, itā€™s crushing if you come up against someone with the right cards to counter it.

Iā€™m only just learning it as a game, luckily there are a couple off offline adventures to whet the appetitie ( both of which are amazingly engaging ) goes well beyond a normal ā€˜card gameā€™ in may ways.

Spent a bit on packs and am slowly learning the ropes. Only up to lv 21 in the online thing - trying to work out who is the best fit hero for me to use at the moment

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

** insert fapping furiously emoji **

1 Like

Iā€™ve literally been waiting for this day for years. Love the trailer! Canā€™t wait.

1 Like

Meh. I hope itā€™s still Zelda. Looks like every other open world game.

https://media.giphy.com/media/ogXyb5GCbInBu/giphy.gif

1 Like

Iā€™m slightly perplexed by some of the internetā€™s (not so much yours, mind) at the game being ā€˜open worldā€™.

Pretty much every Zelda has been an open world game. Perhaps not on the same scale as your GTAs, but Iā€™d argue they are still open world.

A Link Between Worlds, for example, is probably one of the most ā€˜openā€™ games I have ever played. It pretty much starts, drops you in the game world, and from there on you can go in any direction, tackle any dungeon or use any item.

Iā€™m back on the Civ 5. Young Adult Unit #2 expressed an interest in the game last week, so I bought her a copy and gave her a bit of a primer during her first game. Young Adult Unit #1 has finally deigned to re-emerge from the expensive clutches of the capital. She has been a keen player for years. This is not a warm Chez pap gaming story, though. Itā€™s a true Sotonians tale.

Last night, I am playing single player and our own MLG says ā€œHallo. Do you want to play multiplayer?ā€. Now MLG is sadly much better at this game than I am, and much more committed. I say I cannot commit to a huge amount of time, so he starts a Quick game (3-4hrs) on a Tiny map. The map is some real flat earth shit. It doesnā€™t wrap around, like it does in the regular game, and Iā€™m right up against the left edge, playing the Venetians. MLG, my ally (weā€™re playing against the AI) is playing as the Indians.

The Venetians are a weird race in Civ. They cannot found new cities, but they can use their immense wealth to buy city states. The Indians are also a challenge to play. They donā€™t mind having shitloads of people in a city, but they do mind having shitloads of cities. Neither MLG nor I can build much in the way of new real estate. I can only buy existing city states. I eventually snaffle two up.

The port city I took over had a serious problem. It was supposed to address the lack of a navy, but thereā€™s a mountain blocking all the ships in. At best, I can deploy six ships in a closed lake. MLG is on the coast, exposed and worried about the Polish, lining up on the other side of the ocean.

Although allies, weā€™ve gone about things in different ways within our own empires. I donā€™t know what MLG specifically went for, but it was quite clear that he didnā€™t choose piety, which focuses on developing religious power. I did, founded Sikhism and sent my missionaries out to convert the heathens. Out of respect for MLGā€™s militant atheism, I do not send my missionaries to his cities, but it matters not. My religion spread to MLGā€™s cities regardless, such is the fervour with which it is observed.

MLG gets increasingly worried about the Polish, looking ever more likely to start something, and asked what my plans were, militarily speaking. I informed him that he was essentially acting as a shield for my monument based theocracy, what with my empire being completely unreachable unless they came through him first. I might have even called him ā€œbuffer boyā€.

We shall resume play at some point in the future. Affairs persist in this state of tension. But yes, trolling MLG with religion and half-hearted military commitment in Civ 5 is quite the experience :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

MLG plays anal control freakery games online. What are the odds on that?

As Iā€™m in Japan at the moment Iā€™m restricted to mobile games - primarily FM16 Mobile and have built a rather good Saints team as always.

Currently have regen Pirlo and Tielemans in centre mid, regen Ronaldinho, Max Meyer and Julian Brandt attacking mid and a lone regen Del Piero up top (regen Zlatan is on the bench as he respawned quite young). Full backs remain Cedric and Targett though as itā€™s always a bitch to get good fbs so Iā€™m waiting for Lahm and Alves to retire.

Looking forward to playing No Manā€™s Sky and Horizon Zero Dawn later this year, might pick up the rebooted God of War too but will wait for reviews as I didnā€™t love the combat on the old ones.

My name on PSN and Steam is mr_joejangles (I was 13 and thought it was funny) if anyone wants to add me - I play FIFA, Civ, FM and Battlefield mainly online and Iā€™m mediocre at all of them :slight_smile: