šŸ“½ Films I have seen

2 Likes

I like Ian McShane. A good interview with him at the weekend, has some interesting things to say. His thoughts on Jack Whitehall and Michael McIntyre were on the money i reckon. He looks bloody good for 77 thatā€™s for sure. And he was married to Sylvia Kristel, (Emmanuelle), lucky sod.

3 Likes

Highwaymen.
Netflix.
10/10
Kevin Costner & Woody Harrelson as the 2 Texas Rangers dragged out of retirement to hunt down Bonnie & Clyde.
Superbly filmed, paced, and set in 20ā€™s Depression America.
We all know the main story, this was gripping. A real old fashioned Thriller classic. No gimmicks, no CGI just great acting cinematography and great period locations
Brilliant

2 Likes

I finally watched Dallas Buyers Club which got a few Oscars. Based on a true story with a little bit of Hollywood extra in there I thought it was really good. I donā€™t know what Dallas in the mid 80s was like but feel they probably got it close. Interesting and thought provoking and still wonder why theyā€™ve not got universal health care yet!

1 Like

Good film that.

Itā€™s been on the list for ages. I havenā€™t been able to get my partner to watch so just went ahead. I was trying to explain it to him the other night and said it had Matthew McConaughey. I have to say he was in Mud (also a nice little film) but even with a pretty good description of Mud he was at a loss. I gave up.

I have finally seen The Rocketeer, many years after its release and before I tucked into the whole of the re-View. As @gavstar knows, Redlettermedia really shape my views too much, so I clicked off after finding out it was released around the same time as Terminator 2, and watched the film.

If you havenā€™t seen it yet, itā€™s like a present. A charming little gem that sparkles in this very cynical age of destruction to the point of boredom. That last Avengers film had to kill half of everyone in the multiverse to keep people from nodding off. The only reason people will go to see the next one is because theyā€™ve spent years theorising on how everyone is coming back.

Anyway, The Rocketeer. Itā€™s a little sunbeam poking out of the 1990s lighting the darkness. Itā€™s a grounded movie that keeps things close to home throughout, yet never fails to increase its scope. From an airfield in California, we get to Los Angeles, and from there, we eventually get into a whole load of Nazi shit.

Itā€™s an Indiana Jones movie done entirely in Southern California, and you donā€™t mind. Itā€™s that fun, and the denouement, where the main villain is taken out by an over-abundance of his own ruthlessness and a complete lack of chewing gum is not just delicious. Itā€™s spearmint.

OK I was impressed. Wonder Woman is a damned good film.
Itā€™s on Netflix obviously but we enjoyed it, well done as an origin story well set in WW1.

Netflix

Final Frontier. We were looking for something different, clicked on this. All starts off as a bit Narco, moves into Buddy Heist/Sylvester Stallone Expendables land.
And then keeps on going.
Enjoyable way to fill a couple of hours and much more of a ā€œladā€ movie than that Beyonce thing.
Which is impressive just horrible music.
Only a couple of weeks until back in UK and can go to the actual cinema for Avengers End Game. And no I havenā€™t seen Captain Marvel and yes I read the what you need to know if you missed xxxx guides.

I guess @pap might find this useful. Gonna try see it when back in a couple of weeks.

http://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/film-and-tv-when-you-should-go-for-a-wee-during-avengers-endgame-20190424?c=1556135943202?source=facebook

Been some publicity about a new film on Netflix Wandering Earth.
Chinese SciFi has apparently long been a thing with some classics for the movies.
Wandering Earth is a big budget dubbed effort that the Chinese rather love.
Sun is expanding, earth will die so turn earth into an interstellar lifeboatā€¦
It has plot, dubbing and scientific issues a plenty.
It pays homage to 2012, 2001, Gravity, Interstellar (musically) and Armageddon to name a few.
It is a bit grating with whingeing young female.
But.
It is gripping, it is very well filmed, decent sets and effects and generally a surprisingly entertaining movie.
Worth a watch with some beers.

7/10 for ripping off every scifi classic & putting the pieces back together well.

Watched Hereditary on amazon prime a few weeks ago. Intense and incredible. Then afterwards I found out my grandma had a stroke. Bummer.

2 Likes

Upvoted - not for your grandma obviously.

Have heard very mixed reviews so havenā€™t seen it yet - too many other films to watch.

1 Like

Apollo 11.

Iā€™m old enough to have sat in the Science Lab at school to watch them land.

But the ā€œdocu-movieā€ is edge of the seat stuff, the restored 70mm & photos are stunning on TV let alone what they must have been like at IMAX.

9.5 out of 10, they didnā€™t explain the tictac shaped UFO that was clearly seen

:wink:

1 Like

Gosh, what a very good film Creed 2 is.
A really impressive move forward of the Rocky franchise, even if weā€™ve seen it all before

Any other Das Boot fans here?

Iā€™ve seen it several times. The most memorable was the long version while on a ferry trip across the Irish Sea.

TV Series out now. May be the perfect palate cleanser for the post GoT world.

2 Likes

The original series or the update?

One of the daftest B Movies of recent years was Iron Sky - the whole Moon Nazi thing.
Well, they made a sequel. Iron Sky, The Coming Race.
Itā€™s awful.
And brilliant in a Plan B from outer space kind of way

When I say awful.
It has Moon Nazis. Russians.
Maggie, Adolf, Kim, Dinosaurs, Putin, Osama
And a Star Trek Red Shirt
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
And the Holy Grail
Oh and Steve Jobs
ā€œDude you trying to do a deal with Hitler?ā€
No, I need him to sign an end user agreement
A man is only as good as his exit strategy
Open PowerPoint, I need to dictate some slides.
Awful and perfect after 1/2 a bottle of vodka on a Friday
Hitler riding a T Rex
Sarah Palin
Absolute shit and Iā€™m grinning like a loon at its stupidity