📽 Films I have seen

1 Like

Not a film but not sure if there is a thread for stage shows? I went to see The Book of Mormon last night. What an amazing show. Laughed all the way through. As a friend of mine said, it takes the piss royally out of religion and Americans (sorry Red) so what’s not to like? Go see it if you have bad taste and like to laugh.

SS outfit again?

Interesting article about the state of the Summer Box Office in the US and the impact of Superheroes and sequels on the Movie Industry.

“Peak Superhero” - I like that - but as they say at the end, the Marvel Franchise are simply bloody great films, well made. Some of the other dross that Hollywood pumpls out really should go straight to Netflix

1 Like

But Gerhard said I looked so beautiful in it.

4 Likes

The were apparently made by Hugo Boss back in the day so I wouldn’t expect you to look anything but stunning @morris-chutney-lawyer

:lou_is_a_flirt:

1 Like

Watched Dunkirk at the imax this week.

It was alright. Had a bit of an old school war film vibe about it. Not enough gore.

Soundtrack was good and made me grip the seat a bit tighter. Liked the air scenes.

Largely agree with soggy though. All felt a bit day out on the dunes for me. When all the desperate soldiers started cheering the arrival of the small boats I thought " what the fuck are they cheering about there’s only nine of the fucking things. they’ll be waiting months."

Not seeing the Germans didn’t create a constant menacing threat in my head. I just thought they’d probably run out of money/time.

Gutted Harry styles survived to ‘act’ another day.

6 out of 10 from me.

Oh , and the dolby atmos sound at the showcase cimema is miles better than the sound at the imax.

Ok, not sure what “old school war vibe” you’re referring too? It’s nothing like any previous WW2 movie, or any film i’ve seen about war. Apocalypse Now or Paths of Glory maybe?

I can understand why people didn’t like it. As it just didn’t bother with any character development. If Spielberg, or most Hollywood directors had made it, then you would have your scene where the leading man cries over a photo of his sweetheart and another character says how he will have a hot dog when he gets home. It was a pure piece of cinema and it’s becoming rarer as cinema struggles against TV. It was a serious and, even if you didn’t enjoy it, film that should be made because these films won’t be made.

Unless you’re happy with watching endless Disney/Marvel films again and again, explosions, no dialogue and pretty colours to get that Chinese audience.

1 Like

I agree with “A Ghost Story” though, hauntingly good :smile:

Seriously, was one of the films of the year for me, almost hypnotic.

2 Likes

Broadcast TV has had it’s time, HBO, Netflix, Amazon are putting millions into new content, most of it drama. Disney are slightly ahead of the game with Star Wars and the Marvel universe. I’ll shut up now :zipper_mouth:

Amazing, isn’t it? Some will always be in thrall to it, but the emergence of proper choice elsewhere means that’s a dying demographic. Complete sea change from when I was younger.

Folk, including me, had their lives dictated by TV schedules. Even when video recording took off, it had constraints, such as space, that would ultimately have people going back to their televisions once the content had run dry.

That’s not really an issue anymore.

btw, Netflix and co didn’t really take anything over. The commitment to quality scripted television has waned since TV executives reality TV and its stars were a shitload cheaper than actually making stuff. I’d argue that streaming services are filling a gap as much as anything else.

1 Like

Was thinking this as well.

Once upon a time we had shared experiences Cinema Theatre and TV.

Theatre has stayed really strong, the Mama Mia style musicals suck in the cash and allow quality and experimentation to thrive.

Cinema in the new era has become grim in many ways morons on phones and sheer bad manners which we avoid by going at 09;30 at weekends to empty theatres.

But TV. It may well be that GoT was the first and last truly global shared experience. Almost a death knell for fixed time slots.

Sure Netflix & Prime run shows but with so much else to binge many like us prefer to wait for 3 or 4 episodes.

Maybe that will change. Maybe the web will fill with The Expanse memes next week, or Klingon gags in 24 days?

Broadcast free to air TV is in a strange place now, but not as much as global Satellite bouquet aggregators like OSN, Star and probably even Sky.

As technology to block dodgy streams expands will those of us who used to pay stupid money to keep them going with sport packages bother?

I’ve come to terms with missing most sports I miss it but I no longer value it worth £60+ a month

For what it’s worth I’m not a Marvel or a Disney fan. My superhero bollocks is limited to Split/Unbreakable/Deadpool. That’s about it.

My ‘review’ was a bit flippant but there you go. The story of the evacuation of Dunkirk is one of the most remarkable in modern history and I just don’t think this film captured that. I wasn’t looking for character development (though avoiding this doesn’t really encourage the viewer to become emotionally involved imho). The human element to this film just seems to be missing altogether. I was looking (as I usually do) to exit the cinema feeling purged of my emotions. I just came out thinking the soundtrack was good.

If I view it as an exercise in creating tension then I suppose it’s successful. But what’s the point? If that’s ‘pure’ cinema you can keep it. How tense can you get when you know how the story ends? Ticking clocks and heartbeats? Hardly groundbreaking is it? Not showing the foe? A staple device of the horror genre.

As I said before, I came out of the film wondering if they ran out of money/time rather than thinking wow, what smart film making.

In the past few days I have watched:

“Hail, Ceaser!”: it amused and entertained me and I liked it. 7/10

“Colossal”: it was a bit odd but interesting. Didn’t think I’d see Anne Hathaway in a film involving alcoholism and domestic abuse. 6/10

“Toni Erdman”: German film that is beautiful. It made me laugh and cry and think about my relationship with my father, life, family, work. Just great. 9/10

2 Likes

Victoria and Abdul. Barry won’t like it because of the Muslim element, but it is a quality movie and Judi Dench turns in her usual brilliant performance.

Judi Dench as Paula Abdul? She’s quite the method actor.

3 Likes

Get Out - that was time well spent. A good film.

3 Likes

Icarus.

Blimey Bryan Fogel can’t possibly have imagined what would come out when he started making that.

I’m not a documentary fan and tbh only followed much of the "story from Matt Slater on Twitter, but having now seen it and read Brian’s tweet tonight it just shows what utter mugs we are to "believe in elite sport

Utterly epic work recording the events of last year and 4 minutes after we finish watching it this tweet pops into my timeline.

It’s going to all be washed under the carpet. UnbelievableIf you’ve seen the movie read this. If you haven’t seen the movie watch it then weep when you read this

1 Like

Sorry, just read this, I can understand why a lot of people were maybe expecting a more human drama and in hindsight, I came across as a jackass. The only point I was trying to make is that, even if you didn’t like Dunkirk, it’s maybe one of the last of the big studio films that has complete creative control by a director. And it will soon become a rarity which is a shame.

1 Like

Watched it yesterday and highly recommend. Bryan Fogel is the luckiest first time film director, though the way it spirals ou of his control is more interesting.

1 Like