šŸ“½ Films I have seen

But they still used CGI though Ted. I am not knocking it for that by the way. My initial point was that they could have used CGI to give a greater feel of scale. It all seemed so small. If you take something like Saving Private Ryan, not only did you get up close and personal with the action so that you felt that you were on the beach with them, but you were also very aware of the scale of the landing force. Given the number of craft involved and the number of troops lifted from the beach, I didnt come away from the film with any sense of the massive size of the operation. I just thought, oh well, Harry Styles and his mate survived. The sound effects were good. You got a real feel for how terrifying it must have been to be on the receiving end of a Stuka attack (the Germanā€™s fitted sirens to the dive bombers to scare even more shit out of those on the receiving end) and the sound of the bullets coming through the shipā€™s hull really added to the tension. But go back and look at movies like The Battle of Britain where they didnt have anything like the special effects we have today but achieved so much more than this film in terms of giving you a lasting impression of what those poor souls lived through. Atonement achieved so much more with much less screen time in terms of giving you a feeling for what the beach head was like. I just think that Nolan missed a trick.

1 Like

Bloody whingeing Pomsā€¦

Judging by the box office and critical response, I think Soggy has missed the boat somewhat.

Now, anyone been to see The Dark Tower yet?

Now, now Phil. Itā€™s just an opinion! How many films with good reviews have you seen that have disappointed, and vice-versa?

Going off at a slight tangent, I saw my three daughters the other day and all three have seen the movie. Two of them said that they hadnā€™t been taught about Dunkirk at school. WTF?

Denis Villeneuve directing and Roger Deakins on the camera, I wonā€™t lie iā€™ve got a semi in advance

2 Likes

But thatā€™s over a 30 year wait, Ted. You might have lost your semi by then.

1 Like

I actually read the follow up books to Blade Runner. Donā€™t remember the details now but do remember them taking the story forward and leaving me wanting to see them as sequels.

Not followed much of 2049 & the origins of itā€™s story but do recommend the books if you find them at a car boot sale no doubt these days.

Looking forward to the film

Iā€™m out then.

1 Like

I got round to watching trainspotting2 tonight. I enjoyed it, particularly the last half an hour.

Spent two days doing nothing but sitting in a cinema.

Valerian and the city of a thousand planets- stunning to look at, boring to watch.

Dunkirk - almost ruined by the group of teenagers who took a photo of me(!?) during the film, luckily I showed the true Dunkirk spirit and told them to fuck off.

Baby Driver- little depth but great dialogue, music.

England is Mine - Heaven knows Iā€™m in a shit film now.

A Ghost Story - hauntingly beautiful/beautifully haunting. Existentialist grieving.

2 Likes

Double post.

I watched a strange little thing yesterday called ā€œDave made a mazeā€. Itā€™s a quirky comedy/ adventure/fantasy. I was hoping it would be brilliant and the opening sets up so many possibilities, but in the end it wasnā€™t. Itā€™s ok but even the 80mins running time itā€™s pushing it. Anyway, Itā€™s maybe worth a watch. Itā€™s definitely different.

Been watching Edgar Reitzā€™s ā€˜Heimatā€™ again on Sky Arts - 13 hours and some 60 years of German social history seen through the eyes and live of villagers of a small German hamlet . I first watched this in the 80s and had forgotten how good it wasā€¦ stunning performances, amazing production and rightly lauded as an epic. If you have not seen it, you do need patience to let yourself be absorbed, not by action, but pace that is slow to reflect reality. Many of the actors were amateurs from the village where it was filmed and the way they aged the main matriachal charater Maria from 20 something to 80 is perfect as it can be.

Stunning piece of film

Is it wrong not to be interested in 'another 'WW2 film?

1 Like

Behind the scenes on The Shining

1 Like

Not in 2017 I guess, huh boring, Not another one of those historical movies, when we got Iron Man and The Batman and Hulk bloke.

Is pretty much what I know about Star Wars

Heimat is one of the greatest series, and one of the longest :slight_smile: Iā€™m so glad someone on here has experienced it :slight_smile:

Iā€™m going to stop being so flippant :lou_facepalm_2: Sorry ā€¦

Heimat was brilliant, just there were so many episodes. For years ā€¦ It was groundbreaking and emotional. Nothing like it on TV now. Iā€™m just lazy now and like to watch shit like Game of Thrones and dragons and stuff sorry. Ice Javelins and romantic bullshit

Some fantasy that a hero will score (Shane Long) Arf :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like