1 Like

You’ve cropped the picture :joy:

1 Like

Nobody’s stopping you from posting the original uncropped… :joy::joy:

1 Like

I’m not doing your dirty work for you :joy:

1 Like

It’s a start I guess

Part of the problem is that some market players are operating on such thin margins that they cannot stand any kind of volatility- maybe some regulation to say you cannot sell fixed prices unless you have a matched wholesale price at a lower rate to stop shit like Bulb

Exactly.

Why were they allowed to set up in the first place. To offer “competition”?

They can stand it quite happily when they’ve got loads of punters with credit balances, which they keep when they quit. And which the punters collectively then have to pay twice for.

1 Like

I did about half a politics A level. It was very interesting but unfortunately, not much else at Tauntons was. One of the things our politics teacher used to always say was that elections were ultimately about self-interest.

Floating voters will vote for the incumbent if they feel they’re doing alright and will continue doing alright.

Stuff like nationalisation has been seen as an ideological conceit. If things continue the way they do, it’ll be a pragmatic move.

72% of Tories surveyed said they favoured temporary nationalisation if the energy firms can’t keep their costs down.

I think we’re through the looking glass.

3 Likes

Given the shenanigans of private energy suppliers it would seem to make some sort of sense for the Government to underwrite the full cost and keep private companies well away

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-08-21/boris-johnson-approves-funding-for-sizewell-c-nuclear-plant

“ Private funding will be sought for the project estimated to cost £20-30 billion.”

But “ Ms Truss, the frontrunner to replace Mr Johnson on September 6, has pledged tax cuts, including a reversal of the national insurance hike costing at least £30 billion per year.

:thinking:

It’s Brexit innit…

Actually no. Something else is going on

Proper Government intervention

:scream:

:beers:

1 Like

Some observations from Crete

They aren’t bothered about water - still hosing down their patios every day

Diesel is 1.80 petrol is 2.08 euros a litre

Electricity doesn’t seem to be that much of an issue given that all shops leave their doors open and are merrily air conditioning the streets

1 Like

LPG is down from 3.75 in June to 2.99 a litre so a big drop.
Petrol & Diesel have dropped about 10% in same period here.
About 67p to 53p

They all have tons of solar panels don’t they?

Only 7% comes from solar - about 50% is coal

We get 4% with our shitty weather

LPG is 89p per litre here.

Chancellor Nadhim Zahawi “… suggested that people should cut down on how much energy they use.

“The reality is that we should all look at our energy consumption. It is a difficult time. There is war on our continent,” he said.

The reality is that plenty of businesses will have it harder than people realise and many fail.

I’ve seen recently (or maybe I’ve only just noticed) that emphasis is slowly being added to the Ukraine conflict as the reason behind all of our energy woes, not the obscene profits being made in the energy sector.

2 Likes