šŸ”„ šŸ’° Energy costs

The obscene profit taking is not being done by the energy companies (although they are filling their boots)

What is fucking the market is the energy traders and hedge funds. Shell and BP made a boatload last quarter - most of the increase cam not from production but their energy trading divisions

It still costs the same to get this shit out of the ground - the only thing thatā€™s changed is demand and volatility- a traders wet dream

Everyone is stocking up for the winter - Germany has shat their pants - itā€™s carnage

On the subject of the Krauts, they are trying to push through energy rationing on the EU. Spain have got the right hump because they have zero reliance on Russian gas and donā€™t see why they should. Particularly when the Germans told them during the financial crisis that actions have consequences

2 Likes

And Johnson is happy to sit on his fat arse and do nothing and pass the problem on to one of the two twats preening themselves to take over the government- From what I see in the media, neither have a clue.

Labour need to ensure a general election doesnā€™t happen and they win otherwise theyā€™ll end up getting blamed for the UK going down the pan (more than it has currently)

Hereā€™s a thought - donā€™t know whether itā€™s a new one.

If - as those in power are telling us - the main reason for energy costs going through the roof is Putins invasion of Ukraine, then the Russians must pay.
All the frozen bank accounts and Russian assets should be used to lower our energy costs to what they were before the invasion, which the world has condemned as illegal, so the billions of dollars available should be sequestered by the countries holding them.

1 Like

Donā€™t be silly.
The Tories will already have done a deal to only take 10% of those funds as a donation the moment peace is declared and they can release the funds.
Why give it to Joe Public?

3 Likes

5 Likes

To be fair I thought they were talking about using the assets to rebuild Ukraine after this shit is done

1 Like

I hadnā€™t picked up on that - as long as the Russians donā€™t get their money back, and it is put to good use thatā€™s OK.

1 Like

Russia didnā€™t impose the sanctions.

Our government is one of the most vocal about applying these sanctions.

Russia is actually selling some of its resources cheaper to countries that arenā€™t giving it shit about Ukraine.

I will just add; your direct debits for your energy increases arenā€™t going to Putin.

1 Like

Not even Barryā€™s? :thinking:

1 Like

I donā€™t understand why anyone would think the war in Ukraine affects energy prices here, it has nothing to do with it at all. Our energy prices are the highest in Europe by a long way, and our energy companies have obscenely high profits as a result of it, even though the Government are boasting that we no longer buy any gas from Russia. We have no gas reserves because the Tories flogged off the storage facilities to their mates. Whereas Germany have large amounts of gas in their storage facilities, bought when prices were a lot lower.
Eu price cap on gas - Ā£37 per megawatt hour.
UK price cap on gas - Ā£263.79 per megawatt hour.
France raising prices by 4%, the Netherlands 5%, the UK 80% and rising.
Dieter Helm, formally the governmentā€™s energy advisor, now economics professor at Oxford University says ā€˜government failure, not the war in Ukraine is the cause of our ridiculously high energy prices, attacking the ā€œbrokenā€ privatisation model for energy and water, neither of which are ā€œfit for purposeā€, nor are their regulatorsā€™.
Those in power in this country rig the system for themselves, their friends and their donors, at the expense of everybody else. And still a hard core of people doff their caps, tug their forelocks and say thank you master for the few crumbs given to them.

4 Likes

Interesting energy linked to gas price. butā€¦

We actually do have gas storage facilities in Alton from the oil wells which have depleted they are filled with gas to aid pushing out what remaining oil is in them and for gas for the winter.

1 Like

Just had a switch deal offered for gas and leccy from British gas if we fix until end Sept next yearā€¦ā€¦

ā€¦.wait for itā€¦.

ā€¦.Ā£758 a month / Ā£9,096 a year :scream::rage:

Working back our usage, even on the variable rate weā€™d never use that much!

At todays variable rate

That might look like a good deal in three months time

1 Like

Yep, energy price rises were forecast well before Putin invaded Ukraine.
The hard reality of this lack of Government intervention is about to bite big time. There will be loads of small businesses, charitable organisations, welfare centres, etc that will be forced to close because of this. And what does that straw haried fat cunt say - buy a new kettle. Fucking idiot.

7 Likes

I am staying away from Europe as long as I can Far east here I come.

3 Likes

Maybe, but theyā€™re doing fuck all to help though.

Thereā€™s no need for the UK energy prices to be so high - the energy companies are showing the morals of an alley cat selling gas overseas to the highest bidder and fueling (sic) inflation further. They could (should) be compelled to think of the UK first - imho obviously

You poor naive fool. :roll_eyes:
They think only of who will give them freebies/money.
And have done for years

1 Like

We have effectively outsourced gas storage to Europe - stupid, I know because it has bitten us right on the arse. Usually we would export during the summer and import from European gas storage in the winter

We will have more strategic gas storage after this I suspect, although that is not much help now.

The only thing that the govt could do is to cap prices which in turn will mean the taxpayer pick up the bill and god know how many billions that is going to cost