🔥 💰 Energy costs

I’m sure I read somewhere recently that we managed a couple of days last year solely using renewables. Might have included importing a lot of it from Europe though.

Yes that may be possible, but can anybody explain if the electron coming down the cable comes from a wind turbine or a French nuclear reactor?

2 Likes

Well the EU is proposing nuclear power can be counted as “green” - there are a lot of countries disagreeing tbf.

I was offered a job once at Hinkley point power station and it was certainly cleaner than Fawley or any coal fired station.

Homer’s Odyssey, cut short right there :slight_smile:

For anyone wondering why we aren’t using coal - this is a good read on carbon capture.

The technology seems to be improving and needs to go further, but I guess coal is a dirty word there days.

http://www.world-nuclear.org/information-library/energy-and-the-environment/clean-coal-technologies.aspx

Just got an email from Scottish power telling me to lube up and prepare for entry

4 Likes

Bad news is lube prices are up 3500%.

4 Likes

Count yourself lucky. EON didn’t even whisper in my ear, they just went in dry.

2 Likes

Lady Slowlane has decided to throw an old retainer on the fire. He’s, she says, outlived his usefulness.
I’ve just checked with her as to my combustibility. She says, my socks always seem to be damp these days so I’m safe until the summer.

5 Likes

Not even subtle

Looks like this might lead to “we should leave the EU” campaign as energy prices continue to rise/soar!

1 Like

If only we lived in a bubble and couldn’t see how UK is doing with energy costs outside the zone
:wink:

1 Like

Would be interesting to see cost comparisons across Europe - what I see as the UK “average” is more than we pay in an effectively 4 bedroom house! We pay atm £120/month.
When previous supplier went bust, I actually got £150 back!

You’ve had a fake system for some time hiding fluctuations
Gas for home heating is up around 300% here

The bastards. :rage::rage::rage::thinking:

Just saw this comment on the BBC in response to increased energy UK costs:

“ I have an electricity supplier who claim they are 100% renewable, so why has the price of their electricity gone up as much as the gas fired suppliers? Has the price of wind suddenly doubled or are they just exploiting the situation to make massive profits?”

The person makes a good point…

Profiteering perhaps or making false claims about the energy supplied - or a bit of both?

You’re forgetting the electricity needed to turn those wind turbines round. That costs money.

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

Frankly this situation is making the Autobots vs Decepticons war over energon look like a disagreement over a phone charger.

2 Likes