http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnleeu_extras-david-bowie_shortfilms

:lou_lol:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Goatboy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnleeu_extras-david-bowie_shortfilms

:lou_lol:

Fatso!

Originally posted by @KRG

Classy touch from Rough Trade. For the rest of Jan, all profits from their sales of Bowie records to Cancer Research.

Worth checking out their page if you do fancy buying something of his. May do a small bit of help.

https://twitter.com/RoughTrade/status/686522562336165888

Honouring the Artist. Not commodity. Fuck cancer. http://www.roughtrade.com/artists/1089

Nice touch

2 Likes

The Pierrot thing was so uncool. The David Brent look not cool either.

1 Like

Just come back from the shops and have seen the front pages. Somewhat OTT I would say.

I watched whole Bowie documentary thing last night and found that I only really like Ziggy Stardust. The one where he was dancing with Mick Jagger was fkin tragic.

It wasnt good was it. I remember thinking that at the time. The PR people probably thought it would be the ā€œdogs nadsā€ to get these two together but it really didnt work very well. If you go way back to his duet with Bing Crosby too, WTF was that all about? You can see Bing thinking who the fuck is this. Sounded good though which is more that can be said for Prancing About Like Twats In The Street.

2 Likes

yep, I hated him as a small boy because his ridiculous Jagger collaboration and Lets Dance. Luckily, I grew up, put those memories behind me and looked at the back catalogue.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Sadoldgit

Originally posted by @Bearsy

I watched whole Bowie documentary thing last night and found that I only really like Ziggy Stardust. The one where he was dancing with Mick Jagger was fkin tragic.

It wasnt good was it. I remember thinking that at the time. The PR people probably thought it would be the ā€œdogs nadsā€ to get these two together but it really didnt work very well. If you go way back to his duet with Bing Crosby too, WTF was that all about? You can see Bing thinking who the fuck is this. Sounded good though which is more that can be said for Prancing About Like Twats In The Street.

I suspect that the ā€œPR peopleā€ were more concerned about making money for Live Aid. Since thatā€™s what it was done for.

Arcade Fire gave a nice tribute on Facebook today.

David Bowie was one of the bandā€™s earliest supporters and champions. He not only created the world that made it possible for our band to exist, he welcomed us into it with grace and warmth. We will take to the grave the moments we shared; talking, playing music and collaborating as some of the most profound and memorable moments of our lives. A true artist even in his passing, the world is more bright and mysterious because of him, and we will continue to shout prayers into the atmosphere he created.

Hereā€™s them doing a couple of songs together in 2005.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Originally posted by @Bearsy

I suspect that the ā€œPR peopleā€ were more concerned about making money for Live Aid. Since thatā€™s what it was done for.

I expect they were looking to make money. It is just a shame that they didnt release a video of the event at the time too as they would have made an awful lot more money. They reason they didnt apparently is because Geldof wanted the concert to be like a ā€œshooting star.ā€ It would appear that there was still some sense of artistry going on and not just the concern with making money.

Not surprisingly his records are now shooting up the charts again. Always found it odd that there are people out there who only show an interest in an artists work when they croak.

Indeed, if you like an artist youā€™d think there was a pretty good chance youā€™d have bought into them before they died.

And there was me feeling a bit guilty as we had his new album and Iā€™d listened to it once and hadnā€™t been inspired to revisit it that quickly.

A second and third listen to a couple of tracks makes a lot more sense now we know the background.

Well, his death may have rekindled an interest in people buying CDā€™s or downloads to replace battered or lost LPā€™s or cassette tapes they once had. Additionally, his death may have sent some who may not have found his music into finding out what all the fuss was about, so i donā€™t find it particularly strange at all that his albums have sold plenty.

If itā€™s new fans thatā€™s cool, and if itā€™s old fans reliving their past thatā€™s cool too.

In fact on reflection, Iā€™m not sure who the fuck we are having a go at!

1 Like

Listened to Lazarus last night and itā€™s powerful stuff in retrospect. Proper Bowie track as well.

Forcibly reminded me of ā€™ The show must go onā€™ Released after Freddie Mercury died and the video, the words heavy with meaning and him looking frail. Bowies passing hasnā€™t hit me in the same way as Freddies but they were clearly of a similar calibre in all they brought to the world.

Shame its over shadowed the passing of Lemmy a little

Thing is nowdays you dont have to go and and by music anymore and can find out what all the fuss was about through Spotify etc. I havenā€™t bought a Bowie album since Lets Dance but listened to Darkstar yesterday on Spotify. I gave up on Bowie many years ago and like others, I only listened to Darkstar because of him dying and people saying it was a good album. Trouble is, like a lot of his stuff, some of it I liked but a lot I didnt. I let Spotify run after Darkstar and relistened to a lot of his back catalogue and although I still like the classic stuff I remembered why I stopped listening. But then I was never a big fan. I dont know whether the Motorhead back catalogue has sold any better since Lemmyā€™s passing. I suspect not as much as Motorhead were a bit more niche.

Yeah, sorry SOG, I forgot everyone acts in the same way you do. Stupid fucking me.

This hit me really hard, harder than I could ever have imagined the death of someone that I did not know personally. Bowie is/was a major part of the soundtrack of my life (i know that sound pretetious but it is true) and although I do not own all of his records I have a lot. He ws a truly uinique artist in that he ā€œinventedā€ so many different personas and made so many different records. Bizarre thing is that when I picked up my copy of Blackstar vinyl on Friday I thought the whole package looked like it was done as a type of requiem for someone. The packaging is all black, the booklet is even black letters on black paper! Maybe it was planned that way, the music and words certainly have that feel.

So glad that we have his music to remember him by.

2 Likes