:covid_19: šŸ˜· šŸ„ Corona Virus the thread for all your fears ā“

I am beginning to wonder if they should start publishing daily stats about what other things people die of to give these figures some perspective eg 450 people die each day from cancer or in a bad flu year 70 people die per day

Just reporting Covid deaths is not helpful if we are trying to convince people we have to live with it and life has to go on

2 Likes

Itā€™s not particularly deaths that need to be highlighted, itā€™s infections and the incidence of Long Covid.
It appears that you donā€™t have to suffer a severe bout of Covid to suffer severe long term effects.

Most of the infectious happy go lucky youngsters arenā€™t aware that they are ā€œat riskā€ from Long Covid.

I and a great many informed people will be referring to the 19th as ā€œInfection Dayā€ :unamused:

3 Likes

Sadly not that simple with Corona viruses - there are many of them and mostly in animalsā€¦ The problem with a virus that crosses species barriers is that we have no idea how they will evolve when in new hostsā€¦ which is why the most important thing ahead of anything else, is getting rid of it within the population and why young folks not getting vaccinated iā€™m afraid to say is fucking selfish. We have probably had close to 200,000 extra deaths as a result of COVIDā€¦ but ask yourself this: How would we as country feel towards it if these 200k deaths were in under 10s as opposed to mostly in older folks?

If the older folks are vaccinated and there young not, the chances of this virus hanging around in asymtomatic children and young adults long enough to mutate and cause symptoms in that population increasesā€¦ or variants evolving that are not controlled by our vaccinesā€¦

Yes we have many deaths from cancer each day, and other diseases, but cancer is not spread from person to person. Airborne respiratory tract infections are a serious public health concern because of how rapidly viruses can evolveā€¦ yet many seem to think its just ā€˜bad fluā€™ ā€¦ Itā€™s not.

5 Likes

** but cancer is not spread from person to person**
Some is, via viral vectors hence the use of the HPV vaccine for cervical cancer (and others). It is just that it doesnā€™t show up for years.

3 Likes

Very true, but this is (hopefully) one exception. I am just concerned that vaccination queues are shortening as many younger folks donā€™t seem to worry about the risk to themselves or their ability to infect others, and so the virus is retained within the populationā€¦

1 Like

If the govt want to pursue a herd immunity strategy then they wouldnā€™t go far wrong by mandating that everyone had to spend half an hour in Asda in Totton - that place is Covid central

Absolutely horrific in there

1 Like

I share your concern. One of my godsons is holding out on getting it. In my area of Surrey the uptake by 18-30 y.o. is only 19% and that is where 75% of the new cases are occurring.

2 Likes

Apparently most cloth masks are ineffective from stopping the spread of Covid on account of the gaps in the cloth, whilst invisible to the eye, are 500,000 times larger than a covid particle

An analogy being used is to image firing marbles at scaffolding- some will hit the poles and bounce back - most will get through

If the cloth mask can hold water it is effective to test this hold the piece that goes over your mouth and nose under a tap and see if it holds water for at least 1 minute if not pointless wearing it.

1 Like

Cheeky fuckers - trying to join a pilot group that didnā€™t need to self-isolate. That was convenient but at least it came back to bite them on the bum.

As if the country would miss themā€¦Hey! take the the rest of the year off.

Cunts.

3 Likes
1 Like

Lateral ice flow?

2 Likes

Capture

1 Like

Saturday, Saints fan Neil Tonge had a 12 month delayed outdoor party at Salisbury Rugby Club. Got invite so could meet brother & mates.
We were told that Vertical Drinking wasnt allowed didnt want to screw up the club, had to sit to drink. Only 1 spare chair.
So, brother, me & my BFF Performed Musical Drinking.
Sit down, 2 slumps of GFB, stand up, next one sits down and repeat.
We had the place in hysterics ā€œOi you fat bastard TWO slumps not 3ā€ "who you calling fat bastard you fat bastard
Etc.
Epic

1 Like

I wondered when weā€™d hear from her again :roll_eyes:

Deported - great

Arriving where? Greenland maybe :roll_eyes:

British Antarctic surely.

1 Like

Hopefully