🇬🇧 đŸš« Citizens of nowhere

Oh shut up you soft tart, address my points and attack them, take them apart.

My point is that children make poor decisions and she was a child when she left.
The main point here though is about the Government just cancelling your citizenship because they don’t like you. As Pap says, there is nothing stopping it happening to you.

Talking of respect, perhaps you should show some respect towards Begum’s parents too? Can you imagine how they feel?

1 Like

You may have nominated it but I made sure he got it :slight_smile:

Think of the kiddies.

2 Likes

Part way responsible I’d imagine.

Group effort

3 Likes

She was a child when she left with her two school friends, as Soggy pointed out, kids of that age sometimes do stupid things with no thought for the consequences. She has been turned into a scapegoat from the word go, as soon as those pictures of the three of them at the airport were on all the front pages. Of about 900 people who left Britain to engage in the conflict in Syria since 2014, around one-fifth have been killed and 40% have returned. This means that around 360 people who left to fight in Syria have returned home. Even assuming that half of them were male, (likely to be far more), that makes 180 male ‘terrorists’ are let back in to the country, but a girl who was 15 when she went is deemed far more dangerous and cannot be. As the lawyer for Liberty has pointed out,“The security services have safely managed the return of hundreds of people from Syria, but the government has chosen to target Begum”.
Terrorists from Libya were granted asylum in Britain, despite the then Libyan government warning ours that they were dangerous, but they were classed as ‘assets’ by our security services. One of them went on to carry out the Manchester Arena bombing. On the other side of the coin a teenage girl who was groomed and indoctrinated is made stateless. Some truly shameful comments going on at the Daily Mail and co at the moment, they are having a field day. This girl has been turned into a symbol, the face of ISIS by large swathes of the population, whipped up by the vile media in this country. It’s not that far removed from burning witches at the stake. It’s just so wrong, and it demeans us all.

Meanwhile we’re happy to sell arms all over the place, continuing to fuel wars and instability in the Middle East and beyond, but that doesn’t matter at all, it’s profits that count. But we’re not prepared to accept the consequences. Nothing to do with us Guv.
In 2010 a Pakistani Christian woman, you may remember her, was sentenced to death on blasphemy charges by a Pakistan court, but was released after an outcry around the world. She received constant death threats and had to go into hiding. The UK government refused her asylum, despite her having extended family here, and us being a 'Christian Nation". If anyone deserved asylum she did, but presumably she wouldn’t have been an ‘asset’. She now lives in an undisclosed location in Canada. This great nation you are so loud and proud to be a patriot of has a moral compass that is very selective.

3 Likes

Not interested in your points as they’re made up to provoke rather than generate real discussion- confrontational commentary alienates- you don’t get that do you?

Behave and act like an adult.

I suspect you infest this site because no one else will tolerate you.

I really haven’t been happy with @Barry-Sanchez on this thread today. It’s dehumanising, somewhere near, on or over the line where racism is supposed to be.

As far as I’m concerned, once you attain citizenship you keep it. That means that everyone born here is British, regardless of their colour, religion or whether or not they subscribe to rather tangible ideas of British values, even if they choose to fight against us.

I’d also argue that in all but the most cynical of cases, if you are mad enough to come here and pass the citizenship test, you’re British. Becoming a citizen of any country is understood to be a big, permanent deal. We’re British citizens by accident. They’re British citizens by choice.

Genuinely can’t believe how blase some, not on here, are being about this. As a form of dehumanisation, it’s probably worse than referring to your fellow humans as an animal species. It’s basically the removal of every civil right or protection that someone has.

3 Likes

Worse than killing them?

1 Like

Victim culture.
Look, I am not aligning with Baz, BUT there is a really annoying trend of “Oh but she was a kid”. What next? Compensation for every teenage pregnancy? Oh, she was only a Kid. Let Gary Glitter out of nick?

My point is Kids like adults make decisions that destroy their lives every day.
My mate chose to play a game of rugby, that decision broke his neck and destroyed his life.
Kids do things - the Bulger killers. Is there a wave of sympathy for them “because they were kids?”

Go right back to the beginning of this horror story, at no point UNTIL “John” got killed did she show any remorse. SHE turned her back on the UK not the UK turning on her.
Oh, so she made a bad decision. Shit hasn’t half the country?

I made a decision aged 11 that changed my life. Has the global timeline been reversed? Can I sue someone because they didn’t give me all the facts? Can I fvck.

Life is a shit sandwich, how bad it tastes is down to the thickness of the bread. IF you throw the bread away why should society feel guilty?

1 Like

Our entire justice system takes into account the notion that kids are different and that notably, kids do not make decisions. In fact, kids are barred from making legal decisions in their own right until they’re of age.

We have juvenile courts, juvenile detention centres, juvenile sentencing guidelines. Everywhere you look in the British legal system, it says kids are different yo.

Are you saying that they should be treated as adults in the justice system?

2 Likes

For them, no.

For you, definitely. I think it’s well worth remembering just how much the landscape has changed in 20 years. People are getting arrested for stuff they tweeted, sacked for stuff they said decades ago.

Are you positive this will never affect you or someone you know? I’m not.

The Bulger killers have not had all their rights as British citizens removed. In fact they have been cared for by the state since their crime.

1 Like

Exactly. Also she seems to have been tried and found guilty of terrorist activities without going through any proper trial procedure, no doubt because she is Muslim. As far as I am aware the allegations against her have yet to be proven and she hasn’t had an opportunity to put her side of the story. The guy from Scotland Yard on the BBC last night had clearly already decided that she is dangerous. Fine. Where is the proof? Also, as British citizen (despite what the government says) we have a duty to see that see gets a just hearing. I am not making excuses for her, mainly because, apart from shacking up with an ISIS fighter. I don’t know what she has done to make her “dangerous”. I have seen some allegations about what she is supposed to have done but they, as far as I can see, are just allegations and the Scotland Yard guy wasn’t prepared to accept that they may not be true.
I agree with the earlier post, some of the post you see on social media elsewhere are appalling.

It was fun, see ya

1 Like

You’ve been watching Minority Report, haven’t you. :thinking::grin:

I thought she was a citizen of Bangladesh and therefore not stateless?

I think she qualified through her ancestry, but didn’t hold it. Funnily enough the Bangladeshi govt were not dead keen on the prospect

That’s the position of the Home Office.

" In February of 2019, the UK Home Office made the decision to strip the now-19-year-old of her British citizenship, based on the view that she is a Bangladeshi citizen and so the decision would not render her stateless."

It sounds like she’s now claiming not to be, presumably so she would be able to return here rather than live elsewhere.