🐜 Cameron: "A swarm of people"

Jesus wept. Our caped crusader is now posting Breitbart articles. Just change your avatar to a swastika and be done with it.

1 Like

Some interesting alternate takes on this whole issue have been bouncing off the walls of Chez Phil this past week or so. With Mrs D_P being Polish and now having an extended family over there it has been really difficult reading a lot of their Social Media posts,

As a generalisation, much of the former “Eastern Bloc” nations completely missed the initial “Immigration” and “Multiculturalism” that we saw in the 60’s and 70’s. Sure there are now some Indian Restaurants or Thai Massage places to be seen but in general, Poland especially has remained a staunch Catholic Nation.

They now have very real fears that the possible influx of refugees will impact on their culture. They are making (actually to them what seem sensible statements) such as “come to our country but we are Christian and no you cannot have Sharia laws”.

In their ignorance they echo Putin’s words in a much maligned speech recently about immigration into Russia, they seem at first sight to be outright racist, when in fact they are very worried and they simply do not have the “Race Relations” infrastructure or soundbites coming out.

In some ways it would be simplistic to see these views as almost EDL like, but they aren’t. They would welcome refugees but nobody is stupid enough to go there at the moment. But it will not take much for somebody to rise up and start spouting hatred in any of those Eastern Nations. Another unforseen consequence I guess, insignificant at this time but.

1 Like

Can I suggest we put the subject header in quote marks, so it’s clear its not a statement from one of us? Frankly, it repulses me every time I see the statement.

3 Likes

Germany has such a more modern and progressive outlook

Suggestion noted and implemented. This topic has just moved too fast.

1 Like

And that’s a good thing?

Originally posted by @jet-sounds

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Can I suggest we put the subject header in quote marks, so it’s clear its not a statement from one of us? Frankly, it repulses me every time I see the statement.

Maybe you should open your eyes and see it for what it is…it’s a ‘swarm’.

Chattin’ brown

Originally posted by @TedMaul

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/05/refugee-crisis-warm-welcome-for-people-bussed-from-budapest

Germany has such a more modern and progressive outlook

And that’s a good thing?

Exactly, Jet. No good ever came from being progressive.

Maybe you should open your eyes and see it for what it is…it’s a ‘swarm’.

First of all, fair play to you for being brave enough to offer a competing opinion. If it means anything to you, I think we need more of them, and my mission here is to provide an environment where people can say what they like without being attacked.

That said, I think we need to put this “swarm” in context. An appropriate metaphor might be someone that takes to a beehive with a flamethrower, killing a good deal of the bees inside and making it unlivable for any that survive. They might complain of a swarm afterward, but where would your sympathies lie in that situation?

Originally posted by @pap

First of all, fair play to you for being brave enough to offer a competing opinion. If it means anything to you, I think we need more of them, and my mission here is to provide an environment where people can say what they like without being attacked.

<enthusiastic nod>

Knock the right on hippy bullshit on the head, pap. Yes, debate is healthy and good and having different views shared is welcome…but Jet Sounds hasn’t discussed anything or offered any opinions. He has just made one line sneering comments without justifying or explaining anything.

Originally posted by @Fatso

Knock the right on hippy bullshit on the head, pap. Yes, debate is healthy and good and having different views shared is welcome…but Jet Sounds hasn’t discussed anything or offered any opinions. He has just made one line sneering comments without justifying or explaining anything.

Agreed.

But perhaps, given the chance, he might feel able to expand on his views.

Whereas at the moment, Fatso, all you’ve contributed to the debate with Jets Sounds is a one line sarcastic comment without justifying or explaining anything.

Unless you actually believe that…No good ever came from being progressive.

1 Like

I still think Swarm is good word choice! It implies numbers, it implies a collective goal or destination, it implies a degree of urgency. I dunno why pap thinks it’s bees. Cameron didn’t say bees, it’s only bees if you’re talking bout bees. I think you bros need new dictionaries.

1 Like

And besides, if anyone can do the hippy shit, it’s me. I’ve put the time in; the awful awful Liam Gallagher stage, hair getting caught in food/car doors etc. Also, getting called “madam”. Don’t you dare impinge on my right to spread peace and love :cool: I’ve done the length, mush!

I believe Fatso was one of the people that suggested Sotonians becoming a fluffy cuddly echo chamber might be A Bad Thing.

1 Like

Fair comment Fatso, maybe I haven’t contributed too much to the debate or offered any opinions…I can’t express things in context or as well as most posters on here, as well as you…why should we welcome these people?, stay and fight in your own country…the Arab states aren’t falling over themselves to take them in…and what are the possibilities of a Trojan Horse Scenario?

Ok…I think we should accept refugees because these are people who are fleeing their homeland because of a well founded fear that they’ll be killed or tortured and whose lives have been turned upside down through no real fault of their own. I think that Britain should accept refugees as it’s the morally correct thing to do. I don’t think telling them to stay and fight is sensible, realistic or helpful. I think that we have helped cause many of the problems and therefore have even more responsibility to accept them.

4 Likes

Fair comment Fatso, maybe I haven’t contributed too much to the debate or offered any opinions…I can’t express things in context or as well as most posters on here, as well as you…why should we welcome these people?, stay and fight in your own country…the Arab states aren’t falling over themselves to take them in…and what are the possibilities of a Trojan Horse Scenario?

On reading this, I’m reminded of Bill Hicks’ “It’s just a ride” signoff, particularly his assertion that it ultimately comes down to fear or love.

The “fear” position involves being a frightened little oik for the rest of your days, spinning endless and needless brain cycles worrying about shit. The Trojan Horse theory you’re floating would be an example of living your life in fear.

Taking people on that need your help is an example of living your life in love. Sounds very airy-fairy, but it works for me.

2 Likes

Ok…I think we should accept refugees because these are people who are fleeing their homeland because of a well founded fear that they’ll be killed or tortured and whose lives have been turned upside down through no real fault of their own. I think that Britain should accept refugees as it’s the morally correct thing to do. I don’t think telling them to stay and fight is sensible, realistic or helpful. I think that we have helped cause many of the problems and therefore have even more responsibility to accept them.

I’m not saying your wrong, it’s just not MY point of view…I’m maybe a little more cynical

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHFnvFbThDE

Originally posted by @pap

On reading this, I’m reminded of Bill Hicks’ “It’s just a ride” signoff, particularly his assertion that it ultimately comes down to fear or love.

The “fear” position involves being a frightened little oik for the rest of your days, spinning endless and needless brain cycles worrying about shit. The Trojan Horse theory you’re floating would be an example of living your life in fear.

Taking people on that need your help is an example of living your life in love. Sounds very airy-fairy, but it works for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgzQuE1pR1w

Very nice pap, but you’re an intelligent fellow, and you know in reality that life’s not like that, nor will it ever be.

I’m not what your point of view is as you still haven’t really explained it. You’ve shown a video that someone else has made without really saying anything about the content of that video. You’ve said that you’re cynical, but I don’t know what you’re cynical about. So far, all I know is that you think this refugee movement is some sort of Trojan horse plot, that other Middle a Eastern countries aren’t taking refugees and that Syrians should stay and fight (your video clip shows a destroyed Syrian city…are you really saying they should stay there and fight?)

Do you deny there are Syrian refugees moving in their millions? If you accept that they exist, do you think we should accept them? If not, why not?