:brexit: Brexit - Deal or no deal

Well irrespective of the sideswipes about empty Waitrose car parks, it was an impressive turnout with between 1 and 2 million people on the march for a People’s Vote. It certainly reinforces the depth of exasperation regarding the Government’s reckless handling of Brexit.

4 Likes

Yeah alright. Or about a tenth of the population that lives there anyway.

Can we give this poll the proper name as well please? It is not a People’s Vote. You can call it a rich man’s indulgence or a loser’s vote, but a people’s vote it is not.

We had one of those on the 23rd June 2016.

1 Like

Have to agree with Pap, its a big corp vote, a Southern vote, a liberal vote, a vote that doesn’t represent the nation.

My understanding it is merely a lobbying group requesting a vote - for all - on the terms of brexit. This is entirely sensible, bearing in mind the fuckwittery that has so far categorised the Governments handling of leaving the EU and the different forms of brexit being bandied about, none of which has any majority support in the Commons, or in the Country. It was certainly the biggest turnout of people supporting anything to do with the brexit process thus far.

1 Like

The vote on it was by some considerable margin.

With the daily changes in political circles it is worth repeating the call. MP’s have failed miserably thus far.

True but if Brexit is denied, that walk will seem like a picnic, it’d be a protest on steroids, it’ll easily beat the poll tax riots for trouble.

Who is to say that brexit will be denied? But if it is, it will be through a failing political system.

It is interesting to note that you equate any likely march or demonstration with a riot. I suspect most people who voted Leave wouldn’t bother, but some surely would and if they are the type of person who is pre-disposed towards violence and unable to control their emotions, then it will be a sorry state indeed.

1 Like

There would be a riot no two ways around it, the student protests were violent, so were the poll tax riots, anger and frustration will be in free flow, you’d be naive to say otherwise, the denial of this vote will result in an awful lot of disorder.

I’m not suggesting it wouldn’t happen.

Would you partake in violent disorder, Bazza?

If there is to be a people’s vote then anything akin to cancelling Brexit should not be on the voting slip.

2 Likes

Of course not.

Quite. All versions of brexit need to be decided upon and the best way to do this is to put it to the people, as Parliament can’t decide.

Will you accept it if the vote is 52/48 remain?

1 Like

I don’t understand, Barry. Remain should not be on the ballot. It needs to be versions of brexit - No Deal, Mays, Norway+, Canada++, etc. I want a say on which way I think it should go.
I’ve happily accepted the original referendum result, albeit I didn’t agree with it, hey ho, life moves on.

6 Likes

I think the problem is that I suspect that majority would accept concessions to retain more stable economic terms… but the most vocal are shoe that KEEP SHOUTING Brexit mean brexit, or would happily ignore the potential shit storm in NI for the sake of giving the EU a kicking…

Most folks are thankfully more moderate on both sides and acknowledge that if w are leaving, then compromise and pragmatism… a good dose of Realpolitik is best for us, workable etc… but we keep getting told by all the self interested parties that its not good enough… well let us fucking decide…

1 Like

Like Brexiters, most remiainers didn’t even consider Northern Ireland’s welfare and many if they did would find their leanings repulsive, remainers used the holiday and passport line, along with the freedom to work in Romania and Bulgaria…

Apart from the 33m that actually bothered to vote in the poll.

The problem with this “expression of democratic will” is that the objective of those marching is to cheat other voters of their choice.

It’s a pretty big problem.

Jeez.
Considering Stay or Remain seemed to have been too difficult a question choice for much of the population just how will THAT work out?
Who’ll explain the options? Boris & Nige? Yikes, ANY Politician?

I think you’ve missed it Phil. Present many choices, then sit back and watch everyone’s head explode.

Theresa of course. If anyone can make it simple, it’s her. I reckon there’d need to be 5-7 options and she’d explain it like this.

1. my deal.
  2. my deal, or there will be food shortages.
  3. my deal, or we’ll run out of medicine.
  4. my deal, or commie antisemitism will win.
  5. my deal, or the poor will die.
  6. my deal, or Russia will invade.
  7. my deal, or(you think the above is bad😆) Liam Fox gets to play emperor.
    We’re a bit fucked, aren’t we?
1 Like