:brexit: Brexit - Deal or no deal

No deal.

We’ll soon have deals, funnily enough.

I’m no expert but ‘No deal’ doesn’t mean the sky falls in. Countries both in and out of the EU will still trade with us. Things may get heated at Dover for a few weeks, we might suffer some short term inconveniences but should we leave the EU on the 29th we will stand or fall by our own efforts and maybe we’ll become a better country for it.

1 Like

It isn’t that simple unfortunately PTP.

Project Fear is bollocks but there are SO many stupid and small areas where it will have an impact while deals to sign join an ever expanding queue. Deals about Medical Care, Visa Waivers, Property Ownership, Banking regulations, and THEN they have to sign the trade deals.
Thousands of deals to be signed 27 times over (eg the Spanish deal for residents to stay is between UK & Spain not the EU) Poland will do the same, probably Cyprus.
Just ratifying and signing every deal will take months BEFORE we even get to signing Trade Deals.
Uncertainty and cost.

Leaving with a No Deal Brexit will provide more than a couple of weeks worth of inconvenience at border points and will have a comprehensive effect on more than just the UK’s ability to trade freely with the rest of the world.

5 Likes

Indeed it will. It just won’t be Mad Max, as a lot of Remainers and fans of apocalyptic road-based yarns.

The UK government will have agency to change things it could not change before, and if doesn’t do well, the British public will have the power to elect a new one, knowing it will have full agency to do the things that any normal nation state might decide upon, such as its taxation rates, borders or trading partners.

That is not going to be a bad thing. Sure, the unelected project zealots of the EU are going to try to stifle our efforts, as they have throughout the process. Fortunately, there is a whole rest of the world to deal with if they get uppity.

Vote lost by 149

A debate and vote tomorrow on no deal. Not really sure why. That is not only the default position, it’s what people voted for.

Does this at last put the issue to bed?
I don’t see any possibility of movement, so tick the clock down and we’ve left. No more needed.
Oh, Corbyn forced out next week(apparently), so back to a two party = one party scenario(just in time for the sell off to the yanks).
I have no source i can quote for the above paragraph, so take as you like.

I don’t see any point in voting on no deal either. It’s either no deal or revoke art.50 and I can’t see that winning a vote.

What, you mean like the resurrected zombie of TTIP being discussed?

Back to the people, then, either as a GE or a second referendum / peoples vote.

1 Like

Possibly. "Do you want to leave the EU with no deal or revoke art.50? "

That was the major reason i couldn’t bring myself to vote remain(+ecb & commission), so imagine how depressing it was to find out Fox is after signing us up for Asian version(we have to accept a worse deal than all the original signatories).

Doesn’t that mean ignoring what they asked for the first time?

Why are the people important now?

Please don’t tell me it’s because people know the full facts now, and didn’t before. Everyone voting Leave kinda knew the EU was made up of dictatorial, inflexible dicks.

It’s the reason many of them voted out in the first place.

Fox can be voted out of office. Druncker and pals cannot.

Please let me know which bit of my post drew any conclusions that people who voted Leave didn’t know what they were voting for? Don’t take a post and impose a context in order to have a row or get upset.

I merely see the next steps as being either a GE or a second referendum - something that May stated in her post defeat speech yesterday. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

1 Like

This is true, but doesn’t look like it’ll happen before he’s signed us up.

We are where we are. I suspect we will be able to extend art.50 for a GE or 2nd ref. It’s that or no deal.

3 Likes

The EU wouldn’t extend article 50 for an internal election, they’ll grant a short extension for a new offer. A new government can’t stop the clock and even if they could there are no clear plans.
We’re going out of the EU on a soft soft Brexit which means we aren’t really leaving, if you have money and like a gamble buy sterling now, and I mean now.