:brexit: Brexit - Deal or no deal

Roche fort is one
So is edam

When will people start looking at who Fox(remember the powers he’s been given) is spending his time with?
John Bolton for fucks sake.
Bolton sits at the heart of a transAtlantic network pushing for deregulation post-Brexit to advance US right-wing libertarian interests.
Bolton said: “Britain can now rid itself of the sclerotic over-regulation of the Brussels bureaucrats. It can reduce its taxes, reduce regulation, be a much more attractive place for foreign investments.”

https://twitter.com/guyverhofstadt/status/1090364759982198789

Thought this is just the place to share a little news from the Govt.

Looks like those UK residents living in the EU have just been thrown under the bus - hopefully they’ll have insurance…( see last couple of paragraphs).

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/watch-boris-johnson-being-called-deluded-by-sky-news-reporter-beth-rigby_uk_5c5165a6e4b0f43e410c831b?ncid=tweetlnkukhpmg00000008

Another Remainer advances his case :smiley:

If he sends me this week’s Euro Millions numbers I might be on board :smiley:

This article sums up the overwhelming reason for the leave vote. I know so called ‘thinking’ Brexiters are in completed denial about it but for the vast majority of ‘leavers’ it was the only issue that mattered. Immigration. It is estimated that in any general election over 50% of people classified as officially poor vote Conservative, because the party are seen as tough on immigration. It is blindingly obvious that these people voted to leave in the referendum for exactly the same reason. They don’t care that they would be worse off, they even admit it. It would be a price worth paying to get rid of the foreigners. Unbelievably, large numbers of them believed that a leave vote would mean getting rid of Muslims and other brown skinned people, even if these people are British citizens. I can’t wait to see their faces when that nice Polish family next door who work at the local hospital leave, and are replaced with a brown skinned family from the sub continent. Sad times for this country.

1 Like

Sadly, the anecdotal evidence would suggest this is true. Many I have spoken with on the Brexit side who say the smae thing. But I would also suggest that those that are driven by thinking it would get rid of Muslims and brown skinned folks are the minority- albeit a very loud voices one. Yes it’s true the referendum coincided with a lot of media coverage of the Syrian refugee crisis etc, (The Sun publishing 6 pages of pictures of violence at Sangat (non-EU migrants) did not help especially as the events were from 18 months previously)

However,for me the real problem was the continued false information about volume and impact if EU freedom of movement. I can’t blames folks who live in socially disadvantaged areas from being concerned that things might get even worse if the local population expands beyond what the local infrastructure and economy can cope with… that is natural. But the truth is that was NOT happening… anywhere, especially not from an EI perspective… oh and no one seemed to have a problem when all the bar jobs went the Aussies.

This fear was preyed upon by Fatahe et almwigh his ‘brown skinned posters’ which got a bit of a kicking in a few left wing media outlets, but with little effect or impact… too many believed that shit… as again they were very smart to label the crappy Remain campaign as project fear…

Best comment I have seen with regards to Hunt’s statement that more time might be required to sort out a deal

“And after ‘extra-time’ it will go to penalties, and Germany will win.”

2 Likes

2 Likes

On that note, here’s (i think) a decent look at things from Gary Younge(both sides get a bit of a bashing).
So, poorer Brexiters voted to be worse off? There’s nothing wrong in that

1 Like

If I see one more fuckin’ jingoistic WW1/WW2 sacrifice meme relating to Brexit and bedwetters I will run into the street a lump the first passing pensioner. :rage:

…except my wife of course.

5 Likes

We are a soft twitter fest moaning little bunch of wet lettuces though, wait till they figure out they’ll have no home ownership, no pensions, no state to care if things go wrong, it’ll be a proper meltdown.

So your not going to give your wife one then :lou_lol:

1 Like

Got knocked back this morning…that’s the reason for the bad mood. :rage:

4 Likes

It is ridiculous… next we will be fighting for the bent cucumber… However, it is one of the (imho) sad facts that we are genuinely a nation that wallows in the ‘nostalgia’ off the war - old soldiers who remember the real hideousness of the experience are now sadly nearly all gone, but plenty of jingoistic claptrap prevails, diluted and sanitised by time, that place an over importance on sovereignty and our importance in the world - from the embarrassment of England fans and ‘10 German bombers’ to making light of the genuine sacrifices made to score cheap points…

1 Like

All nations do it, you merely point to ours as you may have an issue with the nostalgia from this nation?

Quiet, wetpants.

Eat your lettuce.

1 Like

Most nations don’t tend to be nostalgic about war Gazza… we are world leaders in that…

1 Like