:brexit: Brexit - Deal or no deal

I agree with Paul Embery. The party is absolutely playing with fire. It’s a question of simple mathematics. The majority of constituencies in this country voted to Leave. Any government in waiting needs a majority of constituencies to end the wait.

It’s something Labour seem to have forgotten.

Well I tried something different on that one. I went after the substance of the piece instead of the author :wink:

1 Like

It was amusing. Your not going to get any deep insight from them, but he nailed the mindset of these people. Made me picture Cameron and Pfeffel tossing a coin, to decide who took what stance for the referendum.

Because they’re largely self-entitled little cunts who think they fucking know it all?

Or as I put it in my family. All of the intelligence. Little of the wisdom.

https://twitter.com/PaulEmbery/status/1087851223213064193

Not getting into the shit-storm but googled the question of the UK being force into the Euro if we stayed and this appears to be reasonably convincing…
"Both the UK and Denmark secured an opt-out clause from the single currency during the signing of the Maastricht Treaty in 1992. The clause is legally binding, meaning the UK would have to agree to revoke it before the process of adopting the Euro could take place. "
Sorry if this has been said before, as I’ve been away and I couldn’t be bothered to wade though all the other comment since last Saturday.

So we seem to suggesting that the Remainers are all the elite… so what are Gove, Boris, Farage?..

Not sure where anyone expects to progress by constraining the argument to elites, as I pointed out after @Saint-or-sinner posted that NY Times articles.

The vast majority of the people that voted weren’t elites. It’s their votes that mattered.

That article was a reminder of the the halfwits that we have in charge and the road they will take us down(as their kind always do). Cameron announced a referendum after not getting the deal the corporation of London wanted and we’ll be leaving the day before the new rules come into effect(coincidence?).
Here’s another reminder of the people that are leading the charge and their real reasons. Singapore on sea(Thames. Apparently the rest of the country can do one) remember.

The most surprising thing about this article is that Yahoo is still going.

Only one in three. I thought it would have been higher. Can’t see many parents being happy when their daughter says, this is the man i’m marrying and in walks
images(24)
or
images(3)
or possibly
images(2)
or even
images
Can you blame them?

Bit of a more nuanced issue than “bring out your demagogue” though, init.

The thing I really liked about that Cumberbatch Brexit thing is that it showed the Leave campaign actually doing what the Remain side had took for granted. Actually finding out what people thought.

They knew there was 2 million votes in the North the South remainers didn’t think about, there’s a surprise…

This won’t happen, so we’re told.

Oops already happening.
What have some of Fox’s US mates been up to, when not in talks with him.

They’ve all been busy haven’t they. Scarily, not as busy as the big health insurance lot.

I think we’ll be alright.

The Common Fisheries Policy essentially came about because the rest of the community wanted access to British fishing waters after fucking up their own stocks.

It’s the French and Spanish that are going to have issues.

And us in about 5 years, if this policy happens(without a change of government it definitely will).
They at least won’t be eating eco destroying gm crops, steroid beef, chlorinated chicken and it still won’t be acceptable for there to be maggots in tinned food(for them at least).
Fox will probably sign all these deals of on the 1st April(trying to tell people something?).

Love the optimism… but when the reality hits that we have in effect simply swapped one set of ‘foreign influence’ for another with even less consideration for social, economic and environmental justice, I suspect quite a few will be saying WTF… I wonder how the referendum might have evolved IF freedom of movement and immigration had been correctly dealt with through other means?.. Does any Brexit supporter really believe that a majority of those who voted Brexit did so out of deep rooted ideological reasons, and not simply as a kick in the balls reaction to concerns over immigration, and the establishment blamed for 10 years of austerity?

You can’t equate “foreign influence” with what the EU is and does.

Let’s assume, for argument’s sake, that the Russians really are as dastardly as @Barry-Sanchez’s right wing news sources lead him to believe. That they’re spreading decisive propaganda, sending assassination squads here on public transport, offing former spies, etc.

Let’s go further. Let’s assume, again for the sake of argument, that the Russians have infiltrated every level of government and the civil service, bending every rule and law to Russia’s advantage, surely the most compromised a country can actually be short of being puppeted or annexed.

Whatever else we might disagree on, I am sure we’d both say that this hypothetical scenario is pretty much the apex of foreign influence without actually taking a country over. Let’s assume that the Russians have done this.

These hypothetical Russian foreign influence overlords still don’t legitimately and legally get to control our food supply or our fisheries. They can’t legitimately impose tariffs or laws on the United Kingdom.

The EU does. There is your major point of difference between foreign influence and what the EU is and does.