:brexit: Brexit - Deal or no deal

It would not worry me. The Euro would be stronger because of our being part of it…

So sending all our readies to the ECB, plus giving up control of our currency thereafter doesn’t scare you.

That’s a very Krug half full view, if you don’t mind me saying.

It’s not done the majority of the the member states any harm… I could suggest that being worried about ‘handing over readies’ is just a ‘project fear’ could I not? Pan EU austerity was not due to the EU don’t forget but begun by those fuckwit greedy banks in the US…

As I’ve said earlier, I’m reading Adam Tooze’s excellent Crashed at the moment. It’s a study into the crash of 2008, its origins and why it triggered financial panic on a global scale.

The activities of greedy American banks would have done this continent no harm whatsoever if greedy European banks hadn’t bought heaps of what they assumed was Triple-AAA mortgage bonds with the vast profits they were making.

Worse, while the US purchases of these bonds were largely financed by the Federal Reserve, European banks wanting to get in on the action had to borrow from the global markets.

The detail was always there. Anyone investing on that scale should have looked into individual mortgages, as those behind The Big Short did some time in advance. They would never have been exposed to that risk, never mind borrow to get into it.

The US came out of the crash and stayed out of the crash. The Fed pumped money into the economy. The EU threw Greece and a whole heap of other Southern European countries under the bus, but Greece most of all, when it really didn’t need to. The ECB is a central bank. It could have emulated what the Fed did, but it didn’t.

After a propaganda blitz portraying the Greeks as feckless squanderers, the German middle class wanted their money back. In reality, big German and French financial concerns had over-leveraged themselves and were about to hit the wall when Greece defaulted. They threw countries like Greece further into the crash. The EU as a whole still hasn’t recovered. There is massive youth unemployment in southern Europe, huge inequality between East and West and a tendency from the EU to throw individual member states under the bus, washing their hands of any responsibility.

Haven’t read them all, but i think two of the first four were actually in the Maastricht treaty(just updated in Lisbon?) and are correct(1&3). They were Majors deal(kick the can down the road for 25 years).
Number 2 sounds dubious(probably something similar in there but not in those words and 2022 would not be a clean cut date.
Number 4 is bullshit the way it’s worded, but loosely true.
I have mentioned these things before and the power of the Corporation of London(Brexit is theirs and theirs alone) that will never let 4 happen.
Posted this before, but here goes again.

These people are the power and decision makers and Fox workers for them, so know what he’s going to do.

So the EU is just a larger version of Britain. Banks over leveraging, then the government throwing the poorer areas under the bus.
Don’t disagree with anything you wrote, just reminded me of this country.
The rich are cunts, seems to be the lesson the world over.

Joining the EU means you lose your nations currency (and heart and soul).

1 Like

I am sure the Saxons said the same when we became French in 1066…

Culture, ‘soul’, currency, have always changed and always will as nations and borders evolve. It’s the resistance to this gradual evolution that most frequently causes the tensions that eventually lead to conflict… folks don’t like change…

I always think of this, when this topic comes up.
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://thesaker.is/gutless-wonders/&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwjzgY7AxP7fAhVmURUIHRFPA8MQFjAAegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw268CIIJnUs-W9A2VFNb5Eh

Its the changing that isn’t the issue its the wilful regression by some, true the French would love their currency back, as the Italians, as would the Greeks, most would, why wouldn’t they?
Who wants a united states of Europe which will in fact lead to far more conflict than independent nations?
Maybe you’ll have to admit defeat and say people and nations don’t want to change, and didn’t want to.

1 Like

:smiley:

https://twitter.com/JackBMontgomery/status/1087074130036490244

Yes. You too could experience the wonderful youth employment prospects within the EU.

1 Like

He probably wants a form of Logans Run so the youth will vote to stay. why do they vote for the EU?
I’ve never understood it.

In a Sky News poll today, when asked what a no deal Brexit would mean, 26% thought it meant we would stay in the EU. This country is well and truly fucked!

They’re actually correct in a bizarre way, the metropolitan elite won’t allow us to leave on those terms so we’ll stay.

Well, it’s not surprising when you’ve got a Prime Minister that:-

• threatens Remainer MPs with no deal
  • threatens Brexiter MPs with no Brexit at all

Best description yet?
“quixotic fools of imperialism”

Not one fucking word about the British people :smiley:

Just the British elites, except not the majority that are Remain and are still trying to overturn the will of the British people.

The one mention of Tony Blair, perhaps the personification of elites and support for the European project alike, is about his part in a modern day white man’s burden project.

Anyone reading this without the context of living in the UK, and there will be a few New York readers that haven’t done that, might come away with the impression that Tony Blair is part of this endless stream of elites that are supposedly against the EU.

That is a measure of how well this article is written.

It’s an unsourced and largely unverified opinion piece. If I’d known the burden of facts for writing in the New York Times was this low, I’d have sent Bazza there with a glowing recommendation :wink:

I liked your Corbyn tweet today @pap. Nailed it

1 Like

I thought Barry would have been the only to moan, given his love of empire and it’s the NYT. That’s as good as it gets.