⚱ :engerland: 🇦🇺 Ashes 2019, 1st Test, Edgbaston

Maybe we should have a few predictions. For the series: Top scorer? Top wicket taker? Predicted result?
NB aimed generally not just you bazza.

I’d have to go with Smith but it could be Warner, for England I’d say Bairstow could have a good series, the bowlers you can’t look past Starc, for England I’d go for Anderson BUT he could be under pressure if he doesn’t deliver so then it’d be Archer.

Batsman - Smith
Bowler - Starc

Too close to call the result of the Ashes but a close win for Australia at the moment, I hope I’m wrong.

I’m not sure Anderson’s fitness will help.
I’ll go with:
Bat: Root (but will probably be Smith) :wink:
Ball: Cummins (I think he’ll play in every test and he is more consistent)
Result. Close. I’ll go for a positive 2-1 to the mighty England.

Bat Stokes
Ball Moeen.
Just because :upside_down_face:

My XI

Vince
Roy
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Ali
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Anderson

Not to be but there we go.

With what we have

Burns obviously for Vince.

I’d bat Woakes above Ali tbh

Actually, being possibly the only English cricket fan to see Jimmy Anderson hit a 6 in a Test Match (in Dubai v PAK). I’d slot Moeen after Jimmy tbh

1 Like

I’d have Curran ahead of Ali but obviously need spin, we’re weak in that department, Ali’s average is crap. The bowling isn’t that much better either, as he’s a nice lad he gets a run out, since Swann went we’ve been very very light in the spin/batting dept.

Which is why I can’t understand how they left Leach out of the squad

Maybe they thought he wasn’t up to it against high class bowling? Which is sort of worrying if thats the case.

1 Like

There are some proper shit averages there but sporting jingoism prevails…

And that’s us made to look stupid then

1 Like

You can skew figures anyway you want (especially in cricket), who were those wickets? Tailenders?Established batsmen? Other team chasing?
Sporting jingoism by Sky,

You can apply those rules to any Test bowler, it is meaningless. A Test wicket is a Test wicket. The fact is that Ali is the leading Test wicket taker in the past 12 months. I realize this doesn’t suit your agenda though.

Why not just his averages over his career which are well average? The agenda is driven by people wanting to keep him in the side with wank stats.

Test cricket is played on totally different wickets around the world.
We know that because England are awful on SE Asian pitches.
We are in case you haven’t noticed, playing Australia in England on English pitches.
Perhaps a good measure of who to pick to bowl on an English pitch would be someone with good figures on? Let me think. Oh yeah, English pitches.
Or perhaps you’d prefer to base selection for this series on bowling averages in Australia on drop in wickets with a Kookaburra cricket ball?

4 Likes

So we should base selection on a bowler’s averages over his career, regardless of whether or not his averages show him to be the best bowler over the past 12 months? If he had a poor season 3 years ago which skews his total career his total career stats, that is the criteria used to judge whether he is worthy of selection in 2019. Current form is irrelevant? An absolutely ridiculous argument, which, quite frankly, exposes an ignorance of the realities of Test cricket and the basis upon which selections are made.

2 Likes

Sporting jingoism is the new illiberal liberal.

2 Likes

So his batting and bowling have been shit lately but you selectively choose a period to shoehorn him in?