⚱ :engerland: 🇦🇺 Ashes 2019, 1st Test, Edgbaston

Shoehorn him in? come on, that’s pathetic. He is the No 1 bowler in world Test match cricket in the past 12 months. He bowled well on the last winter tour, scored a few runs too. Agreed he is going through a bad spell, of form with the bat at the moment but one good innings will change that. Happens to all of them at one time or another. At the moment Bairstow is having a quiet time, should he be dropped? After his work with Saqlain Ali is now a good off spinner, as his recent stats show. Regarding his batting, he has shown time and again that he is a quality act, high class. Thankfully the days are gone when England cricket selectors listened to the braying press and some supporters calling for players heads. Nowadays they appreciate the value of a settled squad, allow players to work through a bad spell, within reason. They know full well what Ali is capable of, some of the highest quality innings i have seen in recent years have been played by him.

4 Likes

When you don’t have a decent argument, and you’re incapable of articulating what little argument you do have, a pat little phrase is all that you’re left with.

3 Likes

But his batting has been poor of late and you’re basically saying his bowling will carry him? If he doesn’t bowl well what then? Its a gamble and one I’m doubtful will pay off, if it does great of it doesn’t we’ve lost a batsman and a bowler.
Our batting has dropped of significantly in the last 5 years, why? Haven’t a clue, talent I suppose.

No, its true, just come out with any unfounded sporting shite concerning your own Country without actual regard to the truth.
An example is our players getting MBE’s for winning the ashes, cringy and the Aussies just use it for sledging purposes, pure ammo for republican bowlers.

2 for the price of 1

Does he bowl off breaks as well?

Back when we were good, our last 4 wickets often put on 100+ runs.
Back when Aus were good their last 4 would put on nearer 200 runs.
Recently our middle order have dug us out of trouble.
Imho, the series could be down to runs scored by Curran Woakes Broad & Ali. Think that may influence our team selections as well Curran may get in ahead of Broad for 1st Test

Good to see my test team is near spot on.

The closer we get the less confident I am, they have to know their wicket is far more valuable than one dayers so don’t throw it away, they have never learnt this lesson mind, Strauss, Bell, Cook, Trott loved to stick it out in the middle and battle, I am not too sure these have the patience to do that.

1 Like
1 Like

Archer out instead of Woakes, 3 seamers and a spinner, I’d rather we just went for it with 4 seamers and a spinner but I see the logic to strengthen the batting, there is a slight worry with that side of the argument though…

Ummm.
We’ve gone for 4 seamers and a spinner…

Stokes has a decent average as a 4th Test Match seamer.
We also have a Leg Spin option - Denly and off spin in Root IF needed.

You know 4 main ones not back up, you could say we’ve got a spinner in Root so why pick Ali but that’d be petulant…

You don’t think Woakes counts as a decent seamer?!

Well Baz is lining up his Pigeons early. :lou_lol:

2 Likes

High humidity, breeze, cloud cover, showers.
Could be a good toss to loose.
Or not.

Aussies win the toss and will bat.

No Mitchell Starc, that’s a bit of a surprise.

Injured.
Oof 2nd ball from Anderson tore him in half

Warner caught down the leg side off a nick from Broad’s first ball.

Bairstow appeals. Umpire doesn’t give it. Root doesn’t send it upstairs.

Would have been out.

1 Like