šŸ„© Are Vegans getting way too much media coverage

Iā€™m wearing it. I was prepared for such an eventuality :wink:

Also, fuck off you love it :smiley:

1 Like

Maybe these people who believe in the Magna Carta, the Sovereign Citizens, will start serving Vegans with writs for genocide as wellā€¦

Can we have a bit less of the genocide please? Weā€™ll just have David Starkey around here otherwise.

How much of that grazing land is low quality grazing that cannot support crops e.g. upland grazing as found in the north of UK?

1 Like

Some of us eat vegan food a lot of the time because of highly necessary - nay, essential, even, - medical reasons.

The fact that, in addition to being a huge shitload better for the planet, it helps protect me against most of the big diseases - you know, the ones that kill you - is quite a compensation.

But I agree with the earlier point about some of the legions of ā€œmeatless meatā€ crap that most supermarkets love to sell. Its highly processed, full of shitty additives and seriously pointless.

1 Like

That graph is missing the flavour bar - which will be all red

I accidentally purchased a vegan yogurt and granola the other day, the granola was OK but the yogurt was like eating polyfilla, not that Iā€™ve ever eaten polyfilla!!

Ronseal Ready Mixed man, I take it.

3 Likes

I really donā€™t think thatā€™s relevant. Vastly more land is used to grow crops to feed livestock, so why bother with the grazing land? Plus, of course, an awful lot of the livestock that we eat never gets to see a lot of grazing land. some of it none at all.

Indeed. Whilst not vegetarian, let alone vegan, myself, Iā€™ll happily cook and eat food thatā€™s purely vegetarian. But I canā€™t see for the life of me why anyone would want to replace meat with something that tries to be like meat but isnā€™t.

7 Likes

The other week I bought a beef and cheese bap, it actually said ā€˜beefā€™ on the package, you can only imagine my outrage to find it was ā€˜plant based beef stripsā€™ in the small print, luckily I noticed before eating it and threw it over my neighbourā€™s fence. If the shoe was on the other foot and I was selling ā€˜beef based carrot sticksā€™ I would be rightly hauled in front of trading standards for false advertising.

2 Likes

It may not be relevant on a worldwide scale, but it is highly relevant to the British Isles. My b-i-l raises sheep in the west of Ireland and very little of his grazing land is usable for arable crops.

This, very much this, why not use the natural flavours of the crops to make new foods, not, badly, replicate what is out there alreadyā€¦

Oh I get the whole trying to get carnivores converted but giving this gunk is just going to turn them off.

I like a good nut roast, I like a good risotto, I canā€™t stand highly processed gunk that is supposed to taste like a beefburger.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s really not the point though. Nobodyā€™s suggesting that land currently used for grazing is the issue, especially when the animals doing the grazing are sheep. The point is that the amount of land used to grow crops that are in turn used purely to feed animals is far greater than that used to grow crops to feed humans. Thatā€™s the land that could be used for growing crops for humans to eat.

The example you give is actually a good reason why eating meat in reasonable quantities is by no means a bad thing. Eating the stuff in the amounts that we do (and all the more so with the rest of the planet playing catch-up) is a different matter.

1 Like

Why donā€™t we just cut out the middleman and graze on the fucking fields ourselves? Iā€™m sure thatā€™s where weā€™re heading. :rage:

I was at the T20 Finals at Edgbaston last summer as usual. Lunch came from a 100% vegan outfit, which had massive queues.

My mate - who is as carnivorous as its possible to be - looked at the variety of vegan burgers, with full ingredients listed and said ā€œfuck it I will try oneā€.

He later said it was the best burger he had ever enjoyed.

Not that any proof is needed, but just like all other food, some vegan food, when prepared with skill and thought, is amazing

Exactly, but some of it is downright dogshit. Esp. from supermarkets own-brand jumping on the bandwagon e.g. this. I mean, vegan pepperoni? Travesty

1 Like

And how much Micro Particle pollution does the smoking process make?
That shit is killing me here
i am enjoying a big steak & a bottle of surprisingly pleasant Portugese Red

1 Like

There are some really good wines in Portugal. The pub I used to run a quiz for sold loads of them

3 Likes

Lidl special.
Very pleasant

2 Likes