And where is Jeff Chertsey?

No worries Lou. People often confuse my conch for my horn.

2 Likes

Fucking hell, I just read all of that.

And your take on it is…?

What inbred down voted that? Jesus wept if ever that proved a point, Merry Christmas.

2 Likes

Not me mate, but I could have bet a tenner on what your hair-trigger reaction would be.

:lou_lol:

2 Likes

Originally posted by @cobham-saint

Originally posted by @TheCholulaKid

Fucking hell, I just read all of that.

And your take on it is…?

I learnt nothing I didn’t already know.

2 Likes

Make your mind up. ma’am.

We make bilateral decisions behind the scenes, and it’s a problem. I explain that we want to democratise, and that’s a problem.

Perhaps a perfect illustration of why we’re not rushing into it.

1 Like

Cherts has been unguested because we’re abolishing the system.

All that is now keeping him from posting is self control :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

Good luck with that approach…

1 Like

Originally posted by @pap

Make your mind up. ma’am.

We make bilateral decisions behind the scenes, and it’s a problem. I explain that we want to democratise, and that’s a problem.

Perhaps a perfect illustration of why we’re not rushing into it.

Not a criticism Pap, I think you’re right to raise the question and put it out there…it was just one of those “having thought it through a bit more…” moments. You don’t have to agree!

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

Good luck with that approach…

I’m all ears on alternatives.

All I know is that the present solution wasn’t cutting it.

I know you try to give people freedom and every opportunity to debate, which is laudable, but at some point you have to look at whether the forum itself is being damaged by actions and posts.

It’s quite clear some threads are hijacked for mischief or bullying, which amuses the one, two or three involved, but turns off everyone else, doing nothing for the success or reputation of the forum.

At that point I would suggest you have to step in and be Mr Bastard and wield a big shitty stick - not very often, but often enough for people to know that there is a line not to cross - a line which was clarified when two stroppy bitches recently signed a suicide pact and wrestled themselves into a corner.

Don’t become the new age parent who allows little Tarquin to express himself through abusing people - if the sensitive little chap won’t behave, give the fucker a good kicking once in a while.

8 Likes

Bloody hell. I go out on the lash for the first time in ages, return to find Pap & Bletch have a love child named Tarquin.

3 Likes

Been mulling all this over, struggling to decide where I stand on the pro’s and con’s of sanctions. RB’s post has now given me food for thought … I quite like his Dickensian take on things.

Raleighbike : “. …It’s quite clear some threads are hijacked for mischief or bullying, which amuses the one, two or three involved, but turns off everyone else, doing nothing for the success or reputation of the forum…”

Yeah, fair point, but some of the treads do get a bit tedious and navel gazing tbf

True dat, don’t want this site turning into ‘The Good Life’, contributing to the myth that everyone in Britain is a loveable, middle classed eccentric.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

Been mulling all this over, struggling to decide where I stand on the pro’s and con’s of sanctions. RB’s post has now given me food for thought … I quite like his Dickheadsian take on things.

Fixed that for you, stevesintoponies.

It’s a good point that he makes and one that isn’t lost on pap or me.

Would this change be beneficial?..

I use the downvote system to guide me as to what content the members want and don’t want to see. I personally don’t make any decisions about what content is posted, instead, I use my posts to express the content I want and don’t want to see.

If a post, thread or poster attracts a significant amount of downvotes I will post something publicly asking for a change.

On one occasion I contacted a poster via PM to ask them to change their posting style/content and that poster committed to change and did so.

I think the problem with using downvotes is that they are spread across pages of posts and are not visible in one place. As a result, I believe that people aren’t using downvotes to help us moderate; they just aren’t visible enough.

I’d like to ask ( before I discuss this with our web developer) if we had a public page that showed a league table of posters and downvotes, or a table of threads, posters and downvotes, would that encourage you to downvote more and if you are occasionally downvoted, would it encourage you to change posting style?

1 Like

When I get downvoted, I take it to heart and I take it out on my family. One thing it will never do, however, is stop me posting in any way I want. So, as far as I’m concerned, downvoting me is you lot condeming my family to intolerable abuse. Thats what you want, isnt it? Sick bastards.

8 Likes

I am the “inbred” that downvoted you. I downvoted you for what I believe was faux sincerity. I think you know exactly what you are doing and I think you are deliberately provocative. It doesn’t seem to bother you in the least that you have been voted by far the biggest cunt on here yet you would have us believe that a comment in a thread where you were on a wind up stung you. If you were the least bit sensitive how come it doesn’t bother you that you are so badly thought of here?

2 Likes

Talos! The big metal statue, been driving me mad since yesterday that has. Good film.