Would you want Mark Hughes to carry on as saints manager?

It would be interesting to see where we’d be with this squad and Hughes as manager at the start of the season

Whether hes someone who just comes in and has an initial impact or can build something

He’s built at most teams he’s been at tbf but the clubs have plateaued and that makes any manager look bad. Except MoPe. He was shit

It’s easy to say in hindsight but the quality is there, there may have been morale problems.

Wagner for me

Is that tongue in cheek?

No. I watched Huddersfield twice this year and close up it is really clear how crap they are individually as technical footballers. I think he has done an amazing job pulling 2nd division players together and getting playing at the top of their game for 37 matches. They have even managed to win more than us. I think he would be a good shout short and long term. I hear only good things about him from family in Hudders. i much prefer the Dortmand syle of fast and furious football against tippy tappy

1 Like

A provisional yes. Although I might feel different at 5pm on Sunday afternoon.

Football fans. Fickle.

4 Likes

He must, and will no doubt will get a contract. My only concern is his picks in the transfer market. Berahinho, Imbula et al. A lot of Stoke fans blame Hughes for those. Player recruitment is vital. We need a bit of an overhaul. especially in defence and more pace in attacking areas. The structure is there and Hughes does seem keen.

Sparky feisty but sorry after Stoke’s relegation

Asked if he has had to rebuild his reputation, Hughes replied: "People would think that I needed to, but all managers know at some point you’re going to lose your job.

"I stayed at Stoke for four-and-a-half years, and the going rate for a Premier League manager is just over a year.

"So it just shows that at some point I must have done a decent job there.’’

5 Likes

So do the club by the look of it. Talks started already. Fits like a glove

Was Hitler’s and Inspector Morse’s favourite if I recall correctly. More of a Bach man myself, but not sure he ever managed in the top flight

Well played Ralphy boy - you haven’t done a deal and you say he’s a perfect fit. Sounds as if you’re a bit desperate- Don’t blame us if Sparky now gouges Saints for a costly deal, particularly the compo element when he invariably gets the boot at some point in the future.

Do you know the first rule of contract negotiation? Don’t sound too eager to close a deal…ffs.

:lou_facepalm_2:

Needs a lot of thought.

Keeping us up (great though it was) is not a reason to jump into bed with Hughes - either Phil or Mark.

3 Likes

What reason/excuse would you require Bletch?

Let us not forget he also got Redmond to score a goal, the *man is obviously a genius.

*Mark, not Phil.

3 Likes

I actually heard that more like - done deal sorting out how much wonga the boss will let us spend before he signs.

Especially as he evaded that same question twice from Adam :lou_smiley:

I did coach a team to a 4 goal victory at SMS

Which is more than Sparky has so far…

:lou_eyes_to_sky:

Hell I think Granty nearly scored that night - probably leaving the Curry House