⚽ 🏉 🏏 Why are English sports teams always the bridesmaid

Welcome Gabriel Minge, I hope you enjoy posting here.

Not all fans would cross over, but that’s how you get interest and even 5% of regular attendees from the men’s game would provide a good foundation. The women’s game is not that old and will take time to build a fanbase, even on the back of England getting to the semis I still think the women’s game is probably 20 years away from getting regular attendances of 15,000 - 20,000 but I think it will happen.

You’re a live in the moment man, aren’t you.

Please go back up(just a few posts) goldfish.

Nope. The women’s game does fine(and they didn’t lower the net, or make the court smaller).

I don’t, I just can’t see that happening, the women from the mens game maybe but I’ll be honest I wouldn’t go other than a blank Saturday.

Maybe that’s something the women’s game can exploit, the EPL will get more and more spread out during the week to accommodate foreign markets, so more people might attend regular lower league or women’s games on a Saturday afternoon.

1 Like

I thought we were talking about England not Pompey…

Again the demand for mens tickets to womens is massive, you can’t compete, get on ticket websites for the Wimbledon Final and you’ll see there is a vast difference and thats my point.
Is the game in this Country sustainable?

Football is saturated now, possibly before mens games? But that sort of defeats the purpose, I’d love it to succeed but where are the fans going to come from?
The womens tour in tennis strggles outside of the grand slams as the men aren’t there, I just think it needs to be realistic.

You’re still looking at it as competition for support. The amount of girls and young woman taking part will determine its future, not it’s ability to take fans off the men’s game.
It’ll grow or fail on its own merits. Like tennis, it’s not an enemy, just another part. Like various leagues in football it’ll find it’s own place.

1 Like

Ok but you’re still missing my point, what place will it find? Football is saturated, sport on tv is saturated (I love it and have all sorts of sports on all the time).
Years ago before the premier league it’d would of had a far far greater chance of being huge, why is Madonna and this used to be my playground going through my head…

Attendances are jumping quite a bit over the last 5 years, the FA cup final attendances (I know it’s a one off showpiece but stick with me) have grown massively so there is a growing market, plus with extended media coverage I think it will continue to grow in popularity. I don’t think it will ever be as big as the men’s game in this country, we’ve had too much of a head start.

Also Southampton have won the women’s FA cup 8 times, who knew?

1 Like

At least Terrestial TV can afford it

Haven’t we just started a ladies team?

The FA cup wins were back in the 70’s and early 80’s, to be fair I don’t think it was called the FA cup back then.

1 Like

close thread?

2 Likes

I think the groom just slipped the head bridesmaid one in the bogs at the reception

5 Likes

Why? Did we win?

2 Likes

Not exactly.
We drew.
Then we drew again.
Then everything went screamy

3 Likes