šŸ—¼ What have we got to rival the Spinnaker Tower?

Originally posted by @TheMightyOstrich

Originally posted by @BTripz

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

Originally posted by @Barry-Sanchez

Where would you rather visit as a tourist? Southampton or them? Why canā€™t we be a contempoary modern fun outward looking City? Its grey, dreary, boring and well shite. The suburbs and urrounding areas are better which shouldnā€™t be the case.

When tourists visit Portsmouth, itā€™s for one reason - maritime history. Thereā€™s the Mary Rose, the historic dockyards, the Victory, the Warrior, probably the odd other thing too. Once theyā€™re there, they may choose to visit the Spinnaker Tower and browse round Gunwharf Quays for a bit - but those are not the reason theyā€™re in Portsmouth in the first place.

In that sense, Portsmouth has made better use of its history than Southampton has (though one might argue that thereā€™s simply more history there in the first place). I certainly wouldnā€™t describe Portsmouth as a modern, fun, outward-looking city.

Which does rather beg the question - what exactly characterises a modern, fun, outward-looking city? Can you give us any examples of such a city? And what would you like to see done in Southampton to bring it closer to this ideal?

But, but, but my missus wants to go to Portsmouth to ā€œgo shopping at Gunwharf Quaysā€ not to the dockyards or anything like that but to go bloody shopping.

We go to Southampton together once or twice a year to go bloody shopping (when I go to the football Iā€™m on my own!!)

I know people who travel to that place near the Dartford tunnel to go bloody shopping!!!

Anyone spot a common theme here?

That you donā€™t like shopping much?

I have had the misfortune to be in london with the Ayatollah and her sister in law, who not only go into Next ā€œbecause it is different in Londonā€, but then insist on going into three or four more Next stores because ā€œthere might be something different in these onesā€.

Cue CB tantrum.

5 Likes

Cherts the places I mentioned are similar or are all smaller, why stick to your list?

Tameside and Derby are better, Newcastle, your list is shit as Mr Piss points out.

So weā€™re all agreed ā€¦ well most of us

1. men donā€™t like shopping

2. women do like shopping

3. the complexities of the female mind can be mysterious

4 Likes
  1. the complexities of the male mind can be mysterious.

I donā€™t relish shopping. I find going shopping with my male partner quite difficult as he takes so long picking stuff.

4 Likes

So nice restaurants are neededā€¦here we go

Southampton_restaurant_unveils_Michelin_starred_chef/

Masterchef_winner_opens_her_first_restaurant_in_Southampton/

So just a super club to sort and a large tower (couldnā€™t we just be happy with the clock tower?) and we are done.

1 Like

Theyā€™re building a new, fucking enormous one underneath my office on Oxford Street, so wait until thatā€™s open.

1. Blokes just donā€™t understand - as I am repeatedly remindedā€¦

Add in the swimming pool and ice rink and then weā€™re doneā€¦

When you similar theyā€™re not that similar though, are they?

And have you been to Derby? Itā€™s a fucking shit hole.

All thatā€™s happening here is youā€™re showing that you have very little taste and very little knowledge on what makes a city enticing to different age groupsā€¦yes, Southampton needs to improve, but with you saying that Plymouth, Derby etc are better, shows that either you really like shit holes and run down areas, or you havenā€™t been to Southampton in a long time.

An ice rink will become a swimming pool in the Summer as long as itā€™s outsideā€¦

1 Like

Please tell me there is a pub next door

There are two actually, The Champion (Sam Smiths pub) and the Adam & Eve (Gastropub).

Re swimming pool. I know itā€™s no Centre2000 but there is the Quays. So think thatā€™s sorted.

Ah the old Ice Rink. I was doing figure skating lessons when they closed. I was about 13 I think. Ruined my Olympic future.

3 Likes

Cherts, you are a bloody genius - Soton council needs you to run their planning department!

A few more of those and youā€™ll have created a veritable paradise for Barry.

:lou_wink:

Originally posted by @Intiniki

Originally posted by @steveintheforest

So weā€™re all agreed ā€¦ well most of us

1. men donā€™t like shopping

2. women do like shopping

3. the complexities of the female mind can be mysterious

1. the complexities of the male mind can be mysterious.

I donā€™t relish shopping. I find going shopping with my male partner quite difficult as he takes so long picking stuff.

Which is why I added the ā€˜most of usā€™ ā€¦ had a feeling youā€™d pop up with a comment so obviously not so mysterious then Inti :lou_lol:

1 Like

Hehe. What plumsā€¦ Derby is not spectacular. When you arrive at Derby train station, thereā€™s a handy little guide to where the shops are. Half of them are in Nottingham.

Fair play to them for being upfront about it. Gives the shopper time to turn heels and get a train into Nottingham.

1 Like

This is pretty dismal mate, he won a star in another restaurant, what is this lady restaurant called?

Derby is a better night out than Southampton.

Permalloo is a great name for a chef.

For an evening match when we beat them, yes. Otherwise never. Again, Nottingham is better and close by though.

Congrats on 300 posts on your latest wind up thread