What has the Soviet done for us lately?

Inspired by watching The Death of Stalin yesterday, and on the basis that if you’re not gunning for some other poor bastard then they’re probably gunning for you, I thought it was about time we held our second (rate) tier of dictatorship to account.

They bitched and moaned to get in a position of neutered power, but what have they done with it?

Has anyone seen their actual manifesto?

Comrades, don’t be swayed by the promise of jam and VIP rooms tomorrow, ask what have they done for us lately!

Complete the poll and let them know how you feel!

• I’m quite unsatisfied with the work of the Soviet
  • I’m really unsatisfied with the work of the Soviet
  • I’m not not unsatisfied with the work of the Soviet
  • I’m unsatisfied with the work of the Soviet
  • I’m very unsatisfied with the work of the Soviet

0 voters

1 Like

I thought his papship had stripped away all possible meaning and responsibility from the job role so that it was left just a hollow shell of nothingness, a ceremonial title at best?

That was my understanding anyway: “You get a say in the future direction of the site (but have no direct powers whatsoever)”?

1 Like

To be fair, I didn’t do that. The Soviet positions never conferred mod powers, for starters. It was only ever the owners that had those, and I don’t even think that RB has created a mod account yet.

Two of the chaps ran on a “let’s not treat this too seriously” ticket, getting elected on that basis. We’re simply respecting the democratic will expressed on that poll by not treating the Soviet thing too seriously,

That said, I reiterate that it’s their gig to do as they wish with. We’ll adapt to whatever the Soviet ends up becoming, but I am not anticipating anything more than a convening of a six-person council in real life.

So no VIP champagne room for members to aspire to when re-elections’ happen or there’s a coup

:lou_sad:

1 Like

You need to send me £5 before I vote in your poll Bletchy

2 Likes

Tsk. Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees.

Have a look at the landscape, @cobham-saint . You’ve got TSW, never the same after this place got the same, or a lot more of the same, depending on your viewpoint. You’ve got the UI, with poor ol’ Nick doing a Hodor, trying to keep all his wight wingers in. Then there’s the IBO, lovely chaps but perhaps too lovely. If we’ve no needle, they are wrapped up in cotton wool, bubble-wrap and encased. They don’t get as much post traffic. Nearly all of them are covered with ads, TSW has the front to make itself a fucking paywall.

Long story short, you’re already in the champagne lounge, son. Sup up.

2 Likes

I was under the understanding that the position did not carry any powers what so ever and we could just influence Pap. The influence was subject to Pap listening to anyone ever and then actioning what he had decided was best.

Let us know our powers and we will action them!

We are ready for great power and great responsibility.

2 Likes

Harsh on Bob and Flloyd but the people are right and we do have to respect this power-sharing arrangement. Now hand over the keys Pap!

2 Likes

I wasn’t aware that I was meant to create a Mod account… :astonished:

The last thing I knew was that the guvnor was trying to pull together a meeting of the four horsemen, a meeting which technically nearly happened last week by accident.

1 Like

12 Likes

Cheap tart!

2 Likes

Umm, you could have put name badges on them so we know who you think is whom…

1 Like

Bob, look at the picture again. Here’s my way of looking at it.

One is obvious. He happens to be holding/cuddling someone else, so that’s obvious as well. There are then two others(don’t know who, but look like a acid version of the books i remember).

In my mind you are not and never will be the tall one.

5 Likes

Saw it today, it’s one of the best scripts and casting choices.

1 Like

Simon Russel Beale was straight out scary

Brilliant satire.

Beale was frightening as fuck, but Jason Isaac stole the show. Tremondous caricature; Zhukov as a blunt and aggressive Yorkshireman.

Brilliant.

1 Like

Comrades, I never asked to have this terrifying level of non-power bestowed on me. I just happened to be arsing around on the forum, minding my own business and trying to clean up the mess in Bletch’s cellar, when all of a sudden I’m elected to membership of the Soviet.

Of course, it’s hardly something that you can turn down and, once you’re in, I get the impression that there is only one way out. And that it involves a box. Keep singing, comrades!

Союз Нерушимый Республик свободных
Сплотила навеки Великая Русь.
Да здравствует созданный волей народов
Единый, могучий Советский Союз!

[Припев:]
Славься отечество наше свободное,
Дружбы народов надёжный оплот!
Партия Ленина - сила народная
Нас к торжеству коммунизма ведёт!

Сквозь грозы сияло нам солнце свободы,
И Ленин великий нам путь озарил:
На правое дело он поднял народы,
На труд и на подвиги нас вдохновил!

В победе бессмертных идей коммунизма
Мы видим грядущее нашей страны,
И красному знамени славной Отчизны
Ми будем всегда беззаветно верны!

6 Likes

Pap created a sex panel?

We’re discussing Captain Lorca?

Business as usual then

You can sing all you want, but every time I close my eyes I see you as Beaker from Sesame Street during Movember.

2 Likes

Oh, and for the uninitiated, @fowllyd will have written that song free hand.

As a completely anal and pedantic Russian speaker there will be no copying and pasting for him.

I’m still sniggering about the mistake he made.

#amateurhour

1 Like