šŸŽµ What are you listening to etc

4 Likes

Obviously this is before we even get into Ska and Rocksteady. The backbone of the whole thing is nayabinghi, which in practical terms is a drum circle thing, growing out of slave culture and developing into Rastafarianism. By itā€™s nature itā€™s an out-of-the-way thing so thereā€™s not a lot of records to play, but youā€™ve got people like Dadawah keeping the principle alive:

4 Likes

And then thereā€™s dub.

And fucking hellā€¦ start with King Tubby and then listen to everything.

3 Likes

@dinger in da house! Iā€™m listening to mazzy starr.

3 Likes

And you didnā€™t even post a vid.

You Jedi master, you

:lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

My mate has a massive vinyl collection and we used to spend many an all-nighter working our way through it.

Marcus Garvey was one of the tracks weā€™d play - but I canā€™t hear it without subliminally hearing the tschk, tschk, tschk, tschk, tschk noise that repeated for about 20 seconds caused by a lump of hot resin falling onto the vinyl. Lol.

That should be another thread actuallyā€¦Imperfections you hear in songs - that arenā€™t there (caused by dope, taping or other recording imperfections).

3 Likes

King Tubby probably needs his own thread. He invented the whole idea of the remix (at least I reckon he did). A fucking genius.

This is the obvious starting point:

2 Likes

Get some righteous herb and get lost in this album, any Pablo is good.

Good British reggae

Good early stuff

2 Likes

Yes mate!

That Count Ossie album is the absolute shit!

1 Like

Also get down with Scientist:

1 Like

Thanks for that Sun Araw track @dinger - marvellous

Good to hear something new thatā€™s genuinely great - From my perspective obvs

:lou_lol:

2 Likes

Likewise the Sun Araw album

3 Likes

@dinger Iā€™m also best part of 10 pints down. Iā€™m in no state to listen now, but I will.

Youā€™re an absolute star!

Also massive thanks to @Llwybr-Cyhoeddus & @Intiniki Iā€™ll defo give these a go as well.

Youā€™re all beautiful people.

God bless Sotonians, every one.

2 Likes

Who started this reggae theme? - Mrs C_S is going to go mental with me digging out my old tunes and getting them off of vynil so I can put them through the system. Have a load of other genres to revisit. Forgot why I stopped listening to them. Good to be reminded.

3 Likes

Post more!

1 Like

We havenā€™t even got to deejay cultureā€¦

I will return shortly. Need to fire up the analogue turntable and amp. Iā€™ll try not to be too long.

@dinger & @KRG you have made my weekend- Mrs C_S thinks otherwise

:lou_lol:

1 Like

Anybody who cares about the reggae music noise should have a go on this brilliant book:https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/705144.Bass_Culture

He doesnā€™t understand Dancehall or anything that came after, but thatā€™s a very different type of music.

1 Like

Ha ha ha, none of the obscure shit that Dinger listens too will have a mention on wiki.

4 Likes