šŸŽµ What are you listening to etc

Sounds like the mid-90s and the beautiful future at the same time!!!

3 Likes

nice

Iā€™m on a binge of early Pet Shop Boys. I honestly think there wasnā€™t much to touch them in that golden period up to about 91, and there still isnā€™t. Kingā€™s Cross here, one of their most beautiful, never a single because you couldnā€™t make singles about how all your friends were dying of AIDS and nobody cared.

3 Likes

ā€˜Golden periodā€™ā€¦ I think Tennant called it their Imperial Phase.

2 Likes

Any other good Reggae recommendations are most welcome, I love it but donā€™t really know too much about it.

I just cannot bring myself, a 6"3, long haired, bearded, East London Resident, to walk into a record shop and ask for tips.

(I got the above tip from Adam Buxtonā€™s podcast episode with Bill Hader)

When Iā€™m a bit pissed up later, Iā€™m going to be all over this!

3 Likes

Lay it all on me man! Will be greatly appreciated!

UB40 FTW :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare are the gold standard for Dub - They are the backing band to go for if you need one. Theyā€™re pretty prolific in their own right. The one album of theirs I return to regularly is Language Barrier. Bit weird at times & may not be your cup of tea. Anyway have look at their stuff on YouTube- make sure you have good bass on your speakers - thereā€™ll be suggestions for loads of other good artists.

Enjoy :blush:

2 Likes

Oh fuckā€¦copy and paste into Wiki on stand-byā€¦ :lou_eyes_to_sky:

They were at Glastonbury the other year. The other half went over to West Holts to see them. He can clearly be seen in the crowd on one of the BBC recordings. His few seconds of fame.

My uncles are big music fans. One uncle is in a band that support Chas n Dave not so long ago. My two other uncles were in a punk band as teens and played the 100 club. My uncle B buys and sells vinyl and plays in a band. He has a very eclectic taste He shared this today. Iā€™ve never heard of this music.

Spouge from Barbados.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=56&v=xp-IkNyRBDs

2 Likes

These guys are great (@KRG you know the YouTube drill)

Thanks @Intiniki

1 Like

If Iā€™m not mistaken, @Fowllyd knows his reggae (and other carribean style) onions.

Calling him to the thread.

4 Likes

OK, Iā€™m 6 pints down, letā€™s go.

Starting with the controversial news that youā€™ve got to give some respect to Mick Hucknall, for co-founding the brilliant Blood and Fire reissue label. If you want to listen to roots reggae then theyā€™re a major go-to for buried classics.

Hereā€™s the fucking Congos:

Theyā€™re still going. They made a brilliant record with a guy called Sun Araw a few years ago that plays with the legacy of dub production and improvisation:

4 Likes

Yabby You, mateā€¦ absolutely the staunchly religious end of roots. So many great dubs of his work too.

Here he is with Big Youth on a tune begging to be echoed to fuck:

2 Likes

Wailing Souls, Junior Murvin, The Abyssiniansā€¦

4 Likes