Welcome to the Soviet

Right, we’ve had an impotent Soviet for a little while now, but now we’ve given them some powers.

The Sotonians’ Soviet (@TheSoviet) was ‘elected’, ‘fairly’ over a year ago and comprises:

We always intended @TheSoviet to have greater powers than the membership at large to control the forum and, to work for, and look after the interests of the users of the forum in case @TheOwners get all Tsar Nicolas on the users.

To that end, @TheSoviet members are automatically given trust level 3 status which means they can carry out a bunch of moderation duties on the site.

I’m sure @TheSoviet will deliver for the users and in doing so potentially get re-elected.

Please join me in raising a glass of chilled vodka to @TheSoviet.

Bletch.

3 Likes

You are aware that 25% of the Soviet have stopped posting on here and another 25% post periodically to insult the owner?

1 Like

Yes.

25% of the CURRENT Soviet.

Fair enough… best of luck to them!

Fucking creep.

I mean it, genuinely.

They’re going to need it with you and pap in charge.

So did I, you fucking creep.

So in theory could any member of the Soviet now delete / edit any ones for example Pap’s posts?

1 Like

Please don’t put ideas in the minds of potentially disgruntled Soviet members.

The powers are most powerful against new sign ups (trust level 0).

Users at trust level 3 can…

• recategorize and rename topics
    access a secure category only visible to " users at trust level 3 and higher
    have all their links followed (we remove automatic nofollow)
  • TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts
  • make their own posts wiki (that is, editable by any TL1+ users)
  • Daily like limit increased by 2×

And another 25% has been given even more power

What if over half of us have had the interest papped out of us. By the way… 1253 notifications. Is this to do with the new ‘powers’?

Update. First 10 notifications state "post hidden by community flags’. We really are entering the age of the Soviet, freedom of speech on secret police terms only. Pretty impressive as I have not posted in ages. Someone gone back and alterered/deleted history?

I’ll let @saintbletch explain fully but it’s a hangover from the migration and all the downvotes on the old site.

Nothing to see here really…

1 Like

1 day since the Soviet actually means anything and a devoted Paptrooper is already calling for another election. Good work Gboy.

2 Likes

Just saying tokes, with great power comes great responsibility.

2 Likes

Yeah @Tokyo-Saint , if its the first time you’ve logged in, and you were a norty boy on the old forum, the likelihood is that you’ll have a number of messages about closed threads or hidden posts.

This is a hangover from my decision to bring our downvotes with us.

I’ve already unhidden all of the posts

Yes, that’s right 3200+ times I pressed fucking IGNORE. 3000+ of those the poster rhymed with Larry Sanchez, don’t thank me, I said don’t FUCKING THANK ME!

All you need do is clear them

Click your avatar in the top right then click the cog (preferences)

Go into your notifications and click dismiss all

1 Like

I was a naughty boy on the old forum too. I’m finding the pleasant aesthetics are keeping me much more chill since the move.

I had loads of down voted posts too :jack_o_lantern:

I keep trying to get you down for the indoctrination ceremony, but you just won’t have it.

Wily. I get it.

Aye that because you posted like a cunt :flushed::joy::cry::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: To be fair, no more than I have

1 Like