šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ šŸ„³ VE Day 75th Anniversary

So itā€™s almost 75 years since the Red Army rolled into Berlin and ended the deadliest conflict in history. What are you doing to commemorate this?

Blinis, vodka and Cossack dancing with the neighbours

3 Likes

Might watch Netflixā€¦

Mrs BTripz wantā€™s to do a ā€œstreet partyā€ with the neighbours, thankfully the neighbours arenā€™t interested.

I will either go for a cycle ride or watch a decent war movieā€¦

We are doing this - but it is just a extension of what we have been doing since the start of lock down, just with bunting

The same thing we do to celebrate D-Day, Remembrance Sunday and other such daysā€¦not much.

Itā€™s an interesting subject in Germany. Opinions tend to differ depending on how old you are.

I think that this year, Berlin state has the day as a national holiday. The rest of Germany isnā€™t doing anything, as far as I know.

The older generations remember the absolute defeat, which letā€™s not forget, included mass rape from the Red Army.

The younger generations see it as Germany being liberated from fascism.

Much of Europe had their public holiday last Friday. For them 1st May is much more entrenched than the roaming populist Blairday Monday the UK has :grin::crazy_face:
Then, 2 days later was the major Catholic Festival of Santa Maria.
Sandwiched inbetween here was Flag (or National) Day.
So no doubt there will be something in Warsaw (election #photoop) elsewhere it will pass by.

I will done my Ubergruppenfuhrer outfit and goose-step up and down the street shouting in an affected German accent ā€™ Zu schtupid inglish pigdogs - hed we von ze vor, you would now alls be out ov ze lockdown.

(or maybe not)

5 Likes

Isnā€™t there a Polish person nearby you can invade? :smiley:

Iā€™m sure @Polski_Filip will be up for it. You just need a Soviet mate to make him watertight and youā€™re good!

1 Like

If thereā€™s any Polish person being invaded it would be Tina the bonkers but SMOKING Lingerie Model who is bored to death in lockdown & texting everyone in desperation.
Luckily I need a place to live so not planning on doing a Ferguson any time soon

1 Like

Its the plan, just as soon as I can get the ā€˜tankā€™ up and running. I am expecting Polski flip to be riding the smoking model armed only with his small sword

3 Likes

I better round her pals up for you then

In all seriousness, itā€™s not something Iā€™m going to celebrate. Not only did I have nothing to do with it, it was fucking disastrous for this country and we got off lightly compared to others.

On a personal level, the biggest effect it had on our family was how my great-grandfather came back. He was a Desert Rat, survived the war but just couldnā€™t cope with the peace. After he got back, he found my great-gran shacked up with another bloke, and slid into a cycle of alcoholism that he never recovered from.

He was found dead in Hoglands Park in the early 70s. I never met him. My nan, god rest her soul, could never let him go. Lives irreparably ruined or ended forever because people thought their ideology was good enough to kill for.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ll be thinking about tomorrow. I also be thinking we havenā€™t learned much.

Come on Pap, stop trying to wind Barry up. :uk:

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprised he hasnā€™t come ā€œRussian inā€, to be fair

1 Like

We all know The US won the warā€¦they certainly fucked us over good and proper. :lou_angry:

2 Likes

We beat ourselves before a shot was fired.

There was a point to get involved in that war. September 1939 was not the time and Poland certainly shouldnā€™t have been the reason. We had no practical means of protecting Poland in any way, shape or form.

The only thing we achieved by going in then was getting picked over by the Yanks when we were fucking skint.

Churchill would have taken us in sooner had he been in charge.

I am as usual working so nothing to celebrate

1 Like

The fact that you are working is something to celebrate these days

2 Likes