Unexpected eating experiences

Went to Simpsons Tavern on Cornhill - a Chop House since 1757. Samuel Pepys used to eat there. Well old school. Carnivores dream. Good food and ale. staff are fun. Quite cheap, worth a visit :blush:

Have passed it countless times over the years but never stepped in.

My new favourite place.

What is your favourite eatery? Have you discovered somewhere new recently?

1 Like

I worked a few doors down from Simpsons from 2010-2014. A cracking place for sure.

I miss Buffalo Bills in Southampton, opposite the Mayflower. Countless years of happy occasions. I know itā€™s still there but after 20+ years of the same owners - and the same chef! - it changed hands and reviews say its shit now. Morons.

1 Like

Oh, btw. Samuel Pepys has been recently outed for Weinstein type activities, but donā€™t let that that put you off. I donā€™t think they employ anyone under 45 - on the other hand, if thatā€™s your bagā€¦

:lou_wink_2:

Did Pepys haunt it or dine there?

Wikipedia says he died 50 years before your place opened.

1 Like

He read good reviews of it and went back to check it outā€¦as you do. :lou_lol:

1 Like

f wikipedia is to be believed then fine. Elsewhere on tā€™internet said otherwise. Have always been an indifferent student to historical accuracy

Bletch 1:0 Pie-eyed drunk

:lou_lol:

1 Like

In the '70s used to love ā€œAliceā€™sā€ just across the road from ā€œThe Cricketersā€ in Carlton Place. It was one of the first home made burger places in the cityā€¦played good music tooā€¦great place to meet up and go onto other places in town. Cheap and cheerful with brightly painted furnitureā€¦affordable house wine served in a Giraffe. :lou_lol:

4 Likes

Cool @lifeintheslowlane

Giraffesā€™ were still well posh in late '70s early '80ā€™s when I went out for a meal at the Pizza place in Dibden Purlieu with my first proper girlfriend - think it was called Capers. Closed down only recently.

It was a time of faux-sophistication, especially when Simonā€™s Wine Bar opened just down the road from Aliceā€™s in the mid '70s. Quaffining Liebfraumilch, Piesporter Michelsberg or a cheeky White Zinfandel, TBH anything that sounded relatively foreign.

Thanks too to Berni Inns that would serve up a Prawn Cocktail, Steak, Chips & Peas and Black Forest Gateau for around Ā£2.50 in the late '60s. If you thought you were in with a good chance youā€™d push the boat out and buy a bottle of White Hirondel too.

I wouldnā€™t be surprised if some of you youngsters are here today courtesy of a bottle of Hirondel. :lou_wink_2:

3 Likes

Add Black Tower and Blue Nun to that list @lifeintheslowlane

2 Likes

You forgot Black Forest Gateaux

Seriously underrated & something I could eat right now!

1 Like

I once squirted a pouch of apple jam into my mouth thinking it was apple juice. It was an unexpected and unwelcome experience.

There are many questions around why @gavstar

but, how?

1 Like

I was a big fan of Aliceā€™s!

1 Like

Where the fuck is Alice

4 Likes

My story begins 5 years ago, me and my mate were driving out to Greece to work for the summer, I had made it as far as the ferry before I decided to become violently unwell with food poisoning. My mate took over sole driving responsibilities as I was a bit delirious, and our journey was made quite a lot longer by me needing to stop every 45 mins or so to empty myself. Some time the next day as we were about to leave france and enter Italy I am starting to feel better and feel the need to hydrate, so whilst my mate is filling up on petrol I buy the only thing I think my stomach will tolerate, a small pouch of ā€˜apple juiceā€™, like the pouches lucozade sport used to come in. As we rejoin the motorway I proclaim to my mate that ā€˜I am so looking forward to thisā€™ as I squeeze almost an entire pouch of thick apple jam into my mouth. I did not feel hydrated. As I tell my ā€˜mateā€™ what I have done and how disgusting it was and how disappointed I am he almost has an asthma attack from laughing so hard.

I guess the moral of the story is donā€™t trust the french.

7 Likes

I didnā€™t :lou_surprised: ā€¦to quote my earlier postā€¦

Thanks too to Berni Inns that would serve up a Prawn Cocktail, Steak, Chips & Peas and Black Forest Gateau for around Ā£2.50 in the late '60s. If you thought you were in with a good chance youā€™d push the boat out and buy a bottle of White Hirondel too.

2 Likes

There used to be a place in Liverpool before they moved call Eureka, it was proper genuine family run Greek food, all the family worked there, in a run down 60ā€™sshopping parade, people used to come from all over to eat there, now theyā€™ve moved its nowhere near as authentic nor as good, shame.

My wife has just said they had to go as they knocked down said delapidated shopping arcade.

lā€™histoire du stupide homme anglais et ses poches de pomme.

And to think I was going to let you touch my groin.

Weā€™d have probably both been covered in apple sauce.

3 Likes