Tour De France - 2016

There were definitely a few cautions on that descent, and that righthander that tightened up in the village must have claimed a couple.

Thomas De Gendt hit 104kmph on that final downhill. Love going fast on a bike; it’s fucking awesome but have yet to get over 95kmph. If Sagan or Nibali had been on it then I reckon 110kmph would have been done easily.

Only just around to watching the highlights. Have been watching Murray, then the Wales game. Love the mountains and must watch a full day live on day this/next week.

Well that has mixed things up a bit. But Sky were well in control without getting out of 2nd gear.

I noticed that Sky’s plan to be low profile went out of the window as soon as the race hit the first climb.

#control

Originally posted by @BTripz

That last downhill section looked scary as fuck just on your own, God knows what it’d be like if you were in the peloton.

Just like our Pub’s bike ride last Saturday. Lets see those skinny fuckers come downhill from Otterbourne on upwards of a dozen pints.

Men from boys.

Originally posted by @Flahute

Originally posted by @BTripz

That last downhill section looked scary as fuck just on your own, God knows what it’d be like if you were in the peloton.

Fucking hell, you’ve clearly never descended in The Peak District. That was standard fare. :cool:

It was more the shade to light to shade to light combinations, if you’re going fast do your eyes have time to adjust?

That’s a really good question. In my experience it depends on how good you sunglasses are. Top end ones tend to solve the problem but lesser ones no.

The shade/light issue can cause issues and I mate of mine came off on a club ride a couple of weeks ago hitting a pothole that he didn’t see going under some trees after being in the sunlight so it does happen. I ride on Cannock Chase quite a lot and plenty of the fast descents go shade/light/shade but I tend to just crack on full gas regardless.

When going down hill fast you do tend to be well focused! The best advice I was ever given about fast descending was not to worry about the enterance of a bend, but the exit and after having a massive off on a high speed bend when racing last year I’m a bit more careful.

There is a road heading from Buxton to Leek that goes past The Roaches and has a dead straight 1km of downhill of around 12%. We regularly hit 90+km going down it and carry so much speed that we tend to fly up the 14% the otherside in the big ring and on the bottom sprocket. Friend of mine who is a sponsored racer did it with a northerly wind & hit well over 100kmph.

We get to used to high speed descending because we spend so much time in the hills. It’s the payback for the effort of going up them!

2 Likes

Imagine the visibility at 120mph in a foggy rutted forest in the dark - that’s a proper eye test!

I still wouldn’t fancy 50mph on the bike through that village.

BBC Sport@ BBCSport 4m4 minutes ago

Stage six of # TDF2016 is downhill and rapid. One for sprinters. Can Cav win again? Live: http://bbc.in/29Bt2Eo

spoiler alert…

Get in there!

Great win for Cav.

That was old school and when it’s old school there is only 1 winner.

Pleased to see he actually had the pace to go from that far out - and to think he was written off a week ago!..on here… :wink:

I don’t think anyone expected it, certanly not me. Gripel has been the most disappointing despite being in a good position for every sprint.

He always looks like he’s been on the pies - perhaps his weight-to-power ratio has slipped from powerhouse to chubster?

Wow, just wow, he made that look easy, I punched the air on that one. Go Cav!

Oh and I want to know how that old couple got up that mountain, with bikes, to play chess!

1 Like

He’s looking thinner this year…

I rode up the Col D’Aspin last year, it’s an easy enough climb compared to the other brutal climbs around there so the 7km descent could decide the stage tomorrow.

1 Like

If you are ordering a bouncy castle, never pick the cheapest option…

Just bought a 2011 specialized secteur sport for £85, bargain.

I put that in here as you’ll see Bazza win the Tour De France on his £85 wheels next year.