This is my least favourite life - Spoilers & Discussion

You’re either reading this thinking D_P has gone all Buddha OR you know that today is True Detective 2 day.

So as it won’t have been shown yet in UK.

Cops, Kids, glimpsed Bewbs, Male bum. Bunch of Losers.

And Vince Vaughn as a proper actor with a character.

I had no idea what the hell was going on. But I think I like the cut of its jib.

Discuss away once you’ve watched it

2 Likes

Good thread Dubai Philip!

Really enjoyed True Detective Season* 1, and am looking forward to this immensely., but because they’re a bit out there, I prefer to wait for a few weeks and watch two-three episodes together.

Because this is likely to be a bit out there, I will wait for a few weeks, and watch two-three episodes together. It’ll make more sense that way. I hope.

So, please, no spoilers.

* I use the term season under duress and to make myself seem somehow in touch with this modern world. When I were a lad they were called series.

1 Like

I liked the first one v.much, but like beltch I’m gonna wait till it’s over, and consume it in one big lump, like boa constrictor. I have a fancy that this will be more satisfying for me, like i.e. when I skip a few meals before visiting my mum, cos it makes her cooking taste less bad. Or the time I went 2 weeks without ejaculating, to see if I could have a Wet Dream (I could).

That said, it was v.dumb to click into a Spoilers thread! I have got away with it this time, but I won’t be back for 8-10 weeks or whatever! Cha-cha!

OK so the VERY BIG SPOILER…

Vince Vaughn APPEARS to be able to act in something that is not a brainless comedy. Like I said I have no idea what is going on but (and I don’t THINK this is a spoiler) it seems he is actually playing a Baddie.

Oh and Bletch, sorry Dude you have to Globalise.

New Series is so British - as in the new Series of Dr Who. The Americans use Season. This is HBO, I was right

Or should that be Globalize?

1 Like

Watched this today. I was a little concerned that Farrell wouldn’t have the necessary chops, but then, the same was true of McConaghy after his extended stay in the rom com world. The only complaint I’d have about this first episode is that it is a hell of a lot of setup, but then, anthology show. What do you expect?

Spoilers ahoy!
The one plot strand that does get introduced and resolved, the fat son getting bullied at school gives us an insight into Farrell’s character. His relationship with Vaughn’s character, someone who stands in both the criminal and respectable worlds, looks interesting. I’ve already got a couple of ideas about that. Both of them involve Vaughn’s character knowing a lot more than he’s let on about the historical rape of Farrell’s character’s estranged missus.

Agree papster

I have to say (again) I had no idea what was going on, but then the quality of this (SEASON) was clear to see in the way that all the random misfits appear to have been drawn into “something” that has all the hallmarks of being a Godawful mess for them.

Mrs D_P didn’t see S1 and had become restless after about 40 mins, passed a “I don’t like this” at about 45 mins, an “I’m going to bed” at 50 mins and an OH at the last scene.

Mind you what a shameful waste of Blue Label. That was almost as horrific as anything in GoT

1 Like

Josh Krajic.

Was a runner up on XFactor or whatever with a home alone version of THE song

1 Like

Loved the first Series although Mrs SOG couldnt get into it so I had to watch it alone. Hopefully this will be up to the same standard.

What in the name of sweet Jesus was THAT? (No spoliers tho)

Strewth.

OK point 1 Vince Vaughn acts at the start of Episode 2. Like proper stuff. _ A minor shock

point 2 WTF?

And we thought GoT screwed with our brains???

What?

Why?

How?

WTF?

WTF?

WTF?

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT?

Spoilers ahoy!

Apologies, Dubai_Phil - as sir knows, I prefer to get my reports in promptly. On this occasion, it has taken me slightly longer to catch up.

I concur with sir. What the actual fuck?

For anyone still reading, Dubai_Phil and I are referring to the shocking cliffhanger in which is appears that Velcoro, Colin Farrell’s character, has shuffled off the mortal coil. He might survive. I’ve seen people live through two shotgun blasts to the stomach on TV before. The old “rock salt” trick. I hope for the show’s sake that the character is dead. That at least will give them a dramatic platform to build on. I’d expect Farrell to still turn up in flashback sequences, etc. If he survives, it’s almost certainly going to be a lazy writing trick of some description, and I’m not sure I’m onboard for a show that pulls a rabbit out of its arse every week.

I think he’s still alive Papster, it’ll probably be something like rock salt that you mentioned to serve as a reminder that certain people don’t want this case to be investigated too thoroughly. Looked like he was snooping in the wrong place, and the powers that be brought their heel down on him. Would be a ballsy move to kill off the show’s biggest name (and best character so far) in Episode 2 though!

It was all very GoT that’s f’sure.

Thanks Guys thought I was the only one on the planet still watching!

Is he still around? Well. first shot appeared to wing him then the second was up close and personal. Does he wear a Kevlar Vest under that jacket all day long? Quite possible that Cops in dodgy parts of LA would do.

But then they’ve been active with the trailers this week and there has been no sign of him. Maybe he’s at home having a glass of Cocoa and two Aspirin? But I think this is a new era of TV, I agree with Pap, I think his story starts now.

There is a lot of obvious lines that the story can fill in, him killing his wife’s attacker is the obvious one and a string that unravels from that will fill the episodes well.

But whatever happens GoT seems to have changed the game with Star Names and TV Shows. Anything can now happen

Interesting.

So good call from Pap but done in such a way as to advance the story and leave the start of some possible clues. I’ll let them off, they manage to make it not a Cop Out (in more ways than one).

Vince is getting more believable as a baddie, Rachel McAdams is getting more hot and the internal politics are getting confusing.

Good story-builder week. I like this show a lot

Spoilers ahoy!

Bah, rock salt it was, or its nearest non-lethal equivalent. At best, the writers are having their cake and eating it. Yes, the events of last week tied into this. The tension between Velcoro and Semyon is cranking up because the latter put the former in harm’s way, but that could have been achieved through a pursuit. Feels somewhat cheap that they went they way they did. Shock value and social media engagement feel like accomplices here. Shame.

Plot-wise, this is starting to resemble The Long Good Friday but with extra cop bits. At its core, you’ve got an established villain being taken down, man-by-man and not knowing which way to look. At the moment, I’ve got the ginger lieutenant Churchman down as both Semyon’s mole (he seemed to be keen to find out the plan tonight) and rapist of Velcoro’s missus (he’s ginger, neither of them are). Such is my early season True Detectin’

1 Like

OK so Vince is actually looking more strained by the week. The mess they are all in through their own screwed up lives gets deeper each week

And then

It is a superbly dark atmospheric show and subtle clues come along to test you as you’d expect but that final 10 minutes or so managed to bring a whole new darkness to a standard of all US Cop shows.

PTSD therapy required

As for who dunnit?

The )ctopus with the Shoe while going Kerplunk on the Candlestick in FIFA 15 is the most likely outcome

1 Like

Neither rock salt nor rubber bullets are undoing that sequence. I think that might have been the closest thing I’ve ever seen to that classic Heat sequence on TV. Completely unexpected, and the perfect response to anyone that says this series is not pulling any punches, or as I charged the show with, pulling the wrong punches.

Way to put all of our leads in the same boat. All three of them now have something hanging over them. Velcoro is correctly under suspicion for being bent, Bizzinedes has the sexual harrassment charges hanging over her, while Woodrugh is already on secondment on account of that actress beef. They’ve all got “priors”, and are very convenient scapegoats for this fucking disaster. I would expect all three angles to play.

2 Likes

I caved and have been watching this show now.

a) Vince Vaughn is fucking terrible, ain’t it. What is up with that? What we really need is more scenes of him having business meetings.

1. I liked the shoot out thing! It was good shoot out! But I don’t really know why the bros was shooting at the cops or what was going on there. It’s quite difficult show to follow really, plot wise. You prob have to Pay Attention.

b) I’m enjoying it tho, generally.

2 Likes

The scenes with Velcoro and Semyon in the dodgy bar each week are a really decent touch. Gives a hint as to how deep their relationship goes, how compromised Velcoro is and also giving a weekly update on where the pair of them are in the grand scheme of things. Velcoro increasingly clear on matters, Semyon increasingly murky.

Vaughn isn’t terrible, but even with all the teeth pulling, I’m having a hard time finding him scary, to the extent where I’m wondering whether True Detective and Dodgeball are actually in a shared universe.

Prequels, witness protection and all that :cool:

Maybe it would have added some depth to his characterisation if it had been him that woke up in the morning with an “unremembered guest” after a big night out.

:cool: