This is my least favourite life - Spoilers & Discussion

Spoilers ahoy

Caught last night’s episode. I suppose the immediate thing of note is the permanent jump forward in time. This episode takes place five years after the brutal denouement of episode four. The cynical might point to lazy writing and not really wanting to deal with the aftermath. I actually quite like it, and I’m not sure why it isn’t used more in television shows. More often than not, each episode picks up chronologically close to the one that preceded it. It’s interesting when significant time passes, especially mid-season. They’re even using a different version of the theme to signpost it.

I’ve been partially vindicated on one of my episode one predictions. Semyon knew more than he was letting on concerning the identity of Velcoro’s wife’s rapist, or at least the part about it not being the guy that he fingered. One of those “this changes everything” moments, and definitely going to weigh into the strength of the investigation.

Finally caught Episode 5 last night on catch-up.

I never noticed the 5 years advanced thing that Pap mentioned, perhaps I missed that hint while opening a beer.

But it makes sense in how the sudden jump from a shoot out to no backlash to an eviction notice.

For me (and possibly the Bear) we now have a glimmer of a storyline that is more than a deliberate attempt to play what the hell is going on while drowning you in a display of darkness of the soul.

Last week we had jigsaw pieces flaunted in front or us only for them to be blown away, this week we see some pieces and a glimpse of the cover picture of the box, but again I wouldn’t put it past the writers to blow all that away again as well.

With the darkness under control and glimmers of hope with the Attorney General intervention (guess she is next to get knocked off!) I enjoyed this week’s episode, it didn’t have the action, but it had a shadowy glimpse of a possible Bewb and Rachel M did that speech at the sex offenders club which was a classic shock the stereotype abuser moment.

Heading to SMS on Tuesday and so worried that I am now in the hands of the Hard Drive on my Sat Box!

1 Like

Spoilers potentially ahoy!

True Detective wraps, and without spoiling anything specific, all bets are off in the last couple of episodes of an anthology series. Overall, really enjoyed it. Over the course of the season, Vince Vaughn has done much to impress, but really delivers the goods in this final episode.

Farrell was fucking excellent. There, I said it. If this season is about anything, it’s about his redemption, at least in his own and the viewers’ eyes. He nailed it all, from twitchy coked up bent cop to what he eventually became.

I like a lot of the show’s subtle touches. There’s a real “dogs and their human masters” vibe about character death. Other characters seem to emotionally know it without actually having witnessed it. It’s the teeniest dip of the toe into supernatural waters, totally incongruent with the usual cop show format, which is one of the reasons that True Detective is so great.

I can’t watch normal cop shows. A team solving a crime every week within 42 minutes? Fuck all that shit, and curse the makers of CSI for putting such unnecessary pressure on actual forensics team. A few hours to do a DNA test, my arse.

I’ve loved both seasons of True Detective because it strays so far from the formula. Block-watchers, your time is now.

FINALLY I have caught up. Missed the last 3 weeks of the series due to the European tour. (Thank fook we did it when we had the chance but another day for that)

OK so my summary. This is a TV series you others HAVE to watch and preferably power watch over a couple of days. It IS sublime TV. It is as Pap said acting of the highest quality.

Yes Vince Vaughn pulls off NOT being a comedian. O know Pap had many doubts but I kept the faith & he repaid it in spades.

Colin Farrell was superb and so was the other geezer ;). Rachel Adams went from diriest horniest b1tch on the planet through the whole gamut to a real person and deserves special praise beyond the normal “now top of my hot chicks to watch in flicks” that she started the series as.

I’m sure Bearsy will enjoy episode 7 (how come WE never get invited to those parties was a thought that the wife deleted from my mind with a well aimed stare)

This is superb TV.

Problem is I hated it. Look I know it shows real life, the dark side, where a**holes keep winning. Yes it should be applauded for showing that, but the problem is I have enough of that in real life I don’t want it in my spare time.

Perhaps this is what modern TV needs to be - real, gritty, dark. The PROBLEM is that I found the whole thing and ending so depressing. Any sane person knows good guys always loose and learn how to be less screwed over next time, but the depression started me thinking about big holes in the reality of the story.

The crook cop calls Velcoro, so clearly knows his mobile number and yet nobody thinks to trace his cell phone while he’s banging away?

And the blatant, obvious stupidity of taking THAT exit off the freeway, the trip to see the son that hates him. Sorry, but that is a plot twist from 1940’s movies where a heroine breaks her high heel, it was so obvious.

So yes it is bloody brilliant TV, the soundtrack and high altitude shots are stunning, but then yes we knew who the baddie was in episode 1 and the rest of the story was a late addition to a mix of randomness.

WHEN they make Series 3 then they really have to work to tughten that plot, take out some of those holes, and ffs give us just a touch less depression in the finale, two chicks, a journo & another run - again that ending has kind of been done before and didn’t instill any real feeling of hope,

So I loved it to death, am so glad I watched it but it has depressed me more than the result last night at SMS. I guess our mountain dweller on stevesweb loves that kind of thing. I don’t

I loved the first season of True Detective, and looked forward to the second. It was a mess though, and such a waste of talent.

Nic Pizzalato guy is given free rein to write his tosh. The dialogue and plot was laughable. The best excuse is that it’s a homage to classic US Noir detective movies where the plot gets ever more convoluted and seems to entangle the central character. It reminded me of Chinatown a bit, without the coherence and emotional feeling. Vince Vaughn was great, he got some stick but that scipt was awful.

Also Cary Fukunaga …