⚽ The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Hardly news but it is slim pickings at the moment.

“Mark Hughes’ other summer acquisition, Stuart Armstrong, made his Saints bow in the game, while back at home the club continue to work on other potential deals with a centre half and a striker on the radar as frontline options, while a right back to provide cover is also likely to come in.”

2 Likes

I don’t want to get in to the whole “is he ITK?” debate, but all of those listed above (with the possible exception of Traore) have been openly linked via the mainstream media in recent weeks.

On a side, I really hope we keep Gabbiadini and find some way of accommodating him.

I wasn’t sure whether to post or not but considering how slow news was and the depth of analysis, I thought I’d pass it on.

Yes, I too hope we keep Gabbi. He just needs quick service like in his first few games. Since then, no one has been brave enough to send the through ball early, probably due more to our Manager’s discretion rather than players ability

1 Like
1 Like

That’s a pity if true. I would deploy him further up field since he has the ability to unlock defences.

Think the general opinion on fiverweb seems to be he smokes to much to make it in the EPL.
He didn’t get back into a poor Dutch team while playing in Belgium so…

True, can’t argue with that logic, even if it’s dark logic

1 Like
2 Likes

Something tells me that he will be the Tommy Forecast of strikers.

He’ll be on season long loans for the duration of his contract if we’re not careful.

That’s a he’s shit emoji, not your shit emoji @saintbletch

1 Like
2 Likes
5 Likes

Taken from Sky Sports Transfer Centre:

SAINTS AGREE £18M VESTERGAARD FEE

Southampton have agreed an £18m fee with Borussia Monchengladbach for defender Jannik Vestergaard, according to Sky sources.

The Denmark international will have a medical this week, with personal terms not expected to be a problem.

3 Likes

£18m…seems a lot of money, but that’s probably just my age . I’m never comfortable when we spend this big. Why didn’t he play in any world cup games? Do denmark really have two CBs worth more than £18m or are we paying over the odds?

You’re 18,000,000 years old?

3 Likes

To be honest, IF any one of us had been offered the managers job at the end of the season we would have said yes, but I need X Y and Z positions filled with this type of footballer IF we are to progress.

Not rocket science because even fiverweb agreed on the positions we needed strengthening. How many headed goals did we concede last season? etc etc etc.
Equaly, Most fans who looked into him or read blogs etc wondered whether Marlon had the physical presence. So with only a few weeks left of the window do we go with a player that met the spec or hang on until Harry Maguire becomes available…?

1 Like

£18,000,000 is the new £10,000,000.

What I do find a bit odd is that (from what I have read) he is left footed. Like Hoedt. For some reason playing with two left footed centre backs feels much more unusual than playing with two right footed players. I think Hoedt will be better than he was last year so I don’t see the new guy playing with Stephens or Yoshida in a back four.

Sounds like we have moved on from Marlon, but as @Polski_Filip suggests above, at 6’5" or 6’7" (depending where you read) Vestergaard fits the bill in terms of what we need. Marlon is under 6’ so on the face of it, was a strange link. Unless of course we are still in for him as well and see him as the David Luiz type in a back three. But with two left footed players either side? Fuck knows.

There is every chance that I am over analysing this though.

In my defence, it is better than concentrating at work.

5 Likes

Playing with two left footers is not a problem originally we were a Catholic team.