⚽ The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Cannavaro at 5’9" and Puyol at 5’10"…

…then again carrying a flick-knife during games and playing for one of the greatest sides ever, respectively, probably gave them a few more inches.

Just an FYI Mo hasn’t travelled with the squad to China

No doubt still getting his Visa

1 Like

Warrick Davis…4’ 2"

1 Like

Yeah. At those clubs they do so little defending that having ball players is more important. Barcelona and Milan etc don’t often get pinned back in their own box and have to face Pulis and Allardyce teams going route one.

Considering we conceded an obscene number of headed goals last season, I would like to think we would be addressing this with a more dominant and physical presence. We were also linked with a Danish bloke who was 6’7” so I don’t see how you can go from that to this.

Maybe the clearout has only just started and Stephens, Yoshida or Bednarek are off? Loan deals for the younger two perhaps.

1 Like

This article also references the Danish centre back.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Royal London One-Day Cup Final - Sat 30th June 2018 Sky Spts 10.30am

SAINTS ENTER RACE FOR INGS

Southampton have been made favourites to sign Liverpool striker Danny Ings by Sky Bet.

The 25-year-old is reportedly looking to leave the Champions League finalists as he looks for more game time.

1 Like

For the right money (believe Liverpool have said they won’t put a prohibitive fee on his head) then I’d give him a run - after a really thorough medical.

“Fighting Liverpool” to sign Shaqiri

:joy::joy::joy:

(Says a podcaster)

I quite like the idea of Ings. If the money is right he could be a good addition (as long as he and Charlie can alternate their injuries).

4 Likes

If we buy half the players we’re linked with (as we have so far this pre-season) then we’re going to have to have a massive clear out.

Where’s @Redslo when you need someone to analyse squad registrations and likely transfers out?

1 Like

Foster out Forster in?

Probably lazy, word-play but a suggestion that Fraser might make his way to glue himself to the line and not catch things at the Hawthorns.

Did that ages ago @saintbletch
25 squad members over 21
17 “Foreigners” ie players who are not classed as Home Grown over 21
Then you can fill the squad up with U-21 kids.

So we do have to sell players. And no I am NOT doing an MLG analysis on who is how old or was sold last season :wink:

Last Season

25 Squad players (=Home grown)
Alves Soares, Cedric Ricardo
Austin, Charlie

Bertrand, Ryan*
Boufal, Sofiane
Davis, Steven*
Forster, Fraser Gerard*
Gabbiadini, Manolo
Gardos, Florin
Hoedt, Wesley
Hojbjerg, Pierre Emile Kordt
Lemina, Mario Rene Junior
Long, Shane Patrick*
McCarthy, Alex Simon*
McQueen, Samuel James*
Pied, Jeremy
Redmond, Nathan Daniel Jerome*
Rose, Jack Joseph*
Stephens, Jack*
Tadic, Dusan
Targett, Matthew Robert*
Taylor, Stuart James*
Van Dijk, Virgil
Vidal, Oriol Romeu
Ward-Prowse, James Michael Edward*
Yoshida, Maya

Under-21 players (Contract and Scholars)
Afolabi, Jonathan
Bakary, Mohamed Richard
Barnes, Marcus Thomas
Bartlett, Daniel Grahame
Bednarek, Jan
Bradley Green, Jamie
Cook, Oliver David Paul
Cull, Alexander
Cull, Benjamin Simon
Davis, Harrison
Ferry, William
Flannigan, Jake
Fleary, Taymar
Freeman, Kieran
Gardner, Oliver
Hale, Harlem
Hamblin, Harry Mark
Hesketh, Jake Alexander
Johnson, Tyreke Martin
Jones, Alfie
Klarer, Christoph
Latham, Kingsley Finn
Lewis, Harry Charles John
Little, Armani
Mdlalose, Siphesihle Thembinkosi
Nlundulu, Dan
Norton, Christian Anthony
O’Connor, Thomas James
O’Driscoll, Aaron
Obafemi, Michael Oluwadurotimi
Olomola, Olufela
Olufunwa, Oludare Samuel Araba
Parkes, Adam Darren
Ramsay, Kayne
Rowthorn, Ben John
Seager, Ryan Paul
Sims, Joshua Samuel
Siu, Javen Michael
Slattery, Callum
Smallbone, William Anthony Patrick
Tella, Nathan
Valery, Yan
Vokins, Jake
Wood, William Nicholas

:cough: :wages:

I still think we will sell a couple we’d rather not lose but this summer will still be more clearout than exodus.

I reckon 3 or 4 from the following will go:

Bertrand (City, Spurs, Liverpool [obvs] or maybe even Everton who are looking to replace Baines)
Boufal (France somewhere)
Carrillo (loan to Argentina or France because seriously who will spend anywhere near the money we did on him)
Davis (Rangers)
Forster (loan to a newly promoted side or somewhere bland like Watford)

Any bookies out there fancy giving me odds on that lot?

Sam McQueen ???
Also a possibility to go I would imagine one of him or Bertrand I expect

Yeah, he’ll go if Bertrand stays and vice Verda.

I also forgot to mention but think one of the four current centre backs will leave. Maybe Bednarek on loan or Stephens permanently to the Championship perhaps. He is nearly 25 and personally I don’t think he’s good enough for that position at this level.

Many will disagree and say he could play in a holding midfield role, but that has yet to happen on any occasion that I can recall.

Looks like we are after a genuinely large and physical target man.

http://app.football-italia.net/?referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.football-italia.net%2F123844%2Fsouthampton-look-petagna#article/footballitalia-123844

6 goals in 39 games. We’ve got Shane long for that.

3 Likes

Yeah that was my first thought but he’s only young and playing for a fairly naff team who probably create less than we do.

We’ve had success playing with a big lump up top over the years and haven’t had that outlet or option for the last two years. Perhaps one reason why we’ve been quite dull and then chronic?

Might be useful to have him defending set pieces as well now that we are seemingly signing a Cedric sized Brazilian centre back.