The Sotonians Experience: Site Feedback

I think I better leave this thread alone…

I know where you’re coming from Soggy…I too would never use it in the presence of women…just the way we were brought up. I do occasionally find it a useful release at footie matches…if I used it all the time it wouldn’t serve the purpose adequately.

Sadly/fortunately Gremaine Greer’s campaign to rehabilitate the word has failed miserably. It still sounds an ugly word to me which lends it power…bit of a conumdrum for me.

2 Likes

Why?

Am I the only one that can now juts paste a link to an image and it gets converted to a embedded image i.e. I don’t have to click the insert/edit image box any more!!

Is this something you’ve done @pap or is it an accident?

1 Like

For a number of reasons, including (1) I disagree with a number of points you’re making, but I don’t have the time (or the debating skills!) to do the debate justice, (2) it seems that I’m very much in the minority so it’s probably the case that my thoughts on the topic are wrong, (3) I find it very difficult to express my opinions on this sort of issue without coming across badly because (4) it’s almost impossible for me to do this debate justice on an online forum because people can’t see that I’m not just some disillusioned 50-year-old sexist pining for the good ol’ days of subjugated women! Finally, (5) when it comes down to it, as a woman you have much more of an insight and right to have an opinion on such issues than I do, so it’s not my place to disagree with someone who lives the battle day in day out.

I wish I’d never brought it up!

5 Likes

My 20 year old daughter posted the c word (just the c word as a response) on instagram the other day and I must say that it did shock me for a bit, before I realised that the word has become relatively normalised.

Also, coming back from a beery day in London on the train a few weeks back we were having the same discussion about the c word. My friends weren’t aware of the infamous Derek and Clive sketch so I googled it and played it to them. Despite my problems with the word, I had tears of laughter rolling down my cheeks. It seems odd that a word can cause such a reaction. I guess it’s the guttural sound more than the meaning of the word that makes it so powerful

I’ve never been able to get all the way through it without the chance of being overheard by my missus. I know she’d probably be shocked and maybe mortally offended if she caught me watching it. I don’t think I’ve ever uttered the C word in her presence so I don’t know for sure…odd isn’t it. It’s just a word after all.

@pap

Tweet embeds are lit af.

Good work.

1 Like

I’m glad you did. Don’t think you came across badly in anyway and a bit more insight of women’s views has to be good. We can’t learn if we don’t talk about it.

7 Likes

You’re right, it is just a word. Having used it liberally here in the past to try and get over my semi phobia of it, I have now reverted to the less troublesome “twat.”

1 Like

Yeah this totally! I’m glad you brought it up, Mighty, because it forced me to think about why I respond the things in different ways without being reactionary. I also enjoy your discussion style!

4 Likes

If you like my discussion style you’ll love the boob shrine I have under my stairs…

8 Likes

3 Likes

@goatboy GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! How many times do I have to tell you?

6 Likes

In case anyone was wondering, I don’t have a favourite.

8 Likes

Interesting that our poor overworked @pap manged to create a social media web site with a down vote button.

Now it seems that a certain rather large social media web site has decided to rip off his idea.

Coming soon to FB

If only he’d registered his IP rights …

4 Likes

What’s with the new Icons on the add post box and what do they mean ?

Why has Phil got his own golf flag ?

Is that Btripz broken heart because Lou seat my sweet is not talking to him?

What are you referring to, @philippinesaint ?

The @and the blue bird?

No for some reason the attachement icons had changed and the insert image icon changed to a golf green and flag?

Its gone back to normal now and the site appears to have speeded up a bit.

I wasn’t but what do they do?

Ta