The Sotonians Experience: Site Feedback

I guess it’s that age old debate of ‘just a bit of fun’ vs. ‘objectifying women’. As I say, I see both sides in this instance - I genuinly think it was just a way to wile away the time, but I understand that The Ladies might not like it. :lou_wink_2:

I am what I am
And what I am needs no excuses
I deal my own deck sometimes the aces sometimes the deuces

1 Like

WOW - you’re Gloria Gaynor?! :lou_sunglasses:

Sure, why not, let’s go with that.

1 Like

It is that old debate, and you know what - I read once on Saintsweb about Eva Carneiro and the chants about her, and I paraphrase: “When have you ever heard her complain? How do you know she doesn’t like it, and think it’s funny banter?” Can’t remember who said it, but it wasn’t a one off opinion. (probably Unbelievable Jeff :lou_wink_2:)

Of course, then she got sacked, and then she was pretty clear that she didn’t like it.

On this forum, I generally take the view - have a laugh, get involved in the jokes as they usually crack me up. If it gets a bit uncomfortable - just say it, in a relatively respectful or humourous way. I think if I was a bloke, that’s the way I’d want it.

8 Likes

Although us older blokes should know better, it is easy to get carried away with stuff and forget, so welcome a ‘correction’ when we do.

4 Likes

Show us your baps Gloria.

2 Likes

Correction with a firm hand Chutters?

:lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Well i am sure would all appreciate a bit of ‘discipline’ when we get of order

Yes tigger is female :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Cool! How did you find us Tigger?

Interesting to hear the ladies POV. Given the liberal use of the c word here I am interested in what they think is worse - pics of women in their undies or constant use of the c word?

I grew up around the C word so it doesn’t have much impact on me. Plus I like its shock factor! I’ve used it plenty myself!

Photos of women in their underwear (or less) is an issue for me partly because I don’t want it to come up on my phone if I’m reading this site on the bus. But also because experiencing groups of men ogling woman is always quite alienating. Maybe because it’s a club mentality and as a woman you’re out of the club. But also because experiences of being ogled at yourself are rarely positive. Even on a forum, where I have no contact with those viewing the pics, it makes me feel oddly vulnerable. Not sure why.

I don’t have an issue with men or women looking at naked men or women, in its own right. Strikes me it’s a pretty natural and nice thing to do. It’s the group mentality of it, and the conversation around it that I think I probably react to.

Not trying to insult anyone here, just a honest answer to the question.

14 Likes

She bounced in whilst taking shelter on a blustery day.

10 Likes

Pretty much this re photos of scantily clad women.

I don’t often upvote the posts with lots of swear words in. Believe me I don’t have a problem saying them out loud. But something about them written down, I don’t often use them in posts either.

This is more to do with my work and whether it would be deemed to condone something that would get me in trouble off the forum.

I do feel sometimes I should challenge more but quite frankly can’t keep up with the threads at times.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback girls. Growing up the c word was a big no no and I still struggle to use it, especially in front of women. Although it’s use is wider spread now and is often said on TV, I still struggle with it. I have tried to embrace it here but I still find it awkward. I assumed that you would find an ugly word for female genitalia more of a problem than women in their undies, but I get where you are coming from. I also hadn’t thought about other people reading the forum in public as I usually read it in private. In a lads environment it is easy to forget sometimes that there are some who have a completely different perspective.

4 Likes

Unlike others I was not bought up with the c word and yes it makes me uncomfortable but I skim past it. If there is an abundance on a thread I just stop reading that thread and move on. I certainly wouldn’t moan or down vote as for some it’s an everyday word.

5 Likes

Thanks tigger - good to know!

The gratuitous use of F and C words is stupid and ugly, imo.

Anyone who disagrees is a fucking cunt.

5 Likes

Oh, I have a big issue with the association of aggressive words and female genitalia. Says so much about men’s dominant role, and their attitudes towards women and sex over the centuries, that these exist! But I think that’s a bigger issue, whereas the word has become normalised for me (in part through women using it).

To be honest, I hate the word ‘bitch’ more, because it’s solely used about women and is really quite nasty, and fulfills a sterotype.

2 Likes