The Sotonians Experience: Site Feedback

Pap’s gone mental - those Steve Grant is the best web developer jibes has really,hit home

Every time look at the site something changes

2 Likes

There’s a camera in there.

3 Likes

I know, but its my camera

2 Likes

Linked to hotelwankers.com

Well, one of them is.

1 Like

I’ve installed the plug-in mentioned by Bletch (how Bletch ever found a plug-in called Stylish is beyond me, but I mustn’t quibble) and I like the effect a lot more. Looks a lot cleaner and neater without the grey. Not so sure about the purple, but I’ll accept it as a somewhat belated homage to Prince.

1 Like

Splitter!

So, I think it’s possible for me to ask you to set some colours before the installation and then you get to choose the colours you want.

It’s also pretty simple for a man of your calibre* to edit the CSS and change the colours directly.

In the interim, give me a set of colour combinations you’d fancy and I’ll knock it up.

In my view, the more white space the better, but I’d happily try some combinations with non-white/transparent backgrounds.

Pap’s been busy and has changed some CSS selectors so I’ll need to make a few changes to the theme. Stylish is pretty clever - in that it will know that I’ve made changes and will tell you there is an update available.

P.S. I know you’re going to want to try tan on beige, and whilst that might** work for you sartorially, I suggest you bring a bit of colour into your life.

*I’m saying that as Cal Eye Ber.

**It doesn’t.

Testing

@saintbletch

@saintbletch

@saintbletch

@saintbletch

Some other text.

@saintbletch

@saintbletch

Some other text.

@saintbletch

@saintbletch

Some other text.

Yep, I’ve found how to edit the style; I’m far from expert in these things, but I can spot the word purple each time I see it so I could change it pretty easily should I wish to. Though I have no idea how many colours one can achieve by name as opposed to a hexidecimal string - at a guess I’d imagine red, blue, green etc. would be possibilities, aquamarine less so. Pity, as I rather like aquamarine. International Klein Blue (look it up) would be perfect.

I may fiddle around and see how it goes, whilst hoping I don’t break it and render the site unreadable in my browser.

Weird, I’m not seeing any purple. Mind you, I updated the site styles today and explicitly cut it all out. It’s the default visited link colour on most browsers.

Have fun @saintbletch and @fowllyd

Brr

I’m wearing a shirt in IKB as we speak (true story - well it’s more Julian Clary Blue, truth be told).

Here are the 140 colour names recognised by most browsers, but as you say you can just enter the #hexcolor if you’d prefer.

And this is an excellent way to pick a palette of colours that harmonise well.

1 Like

Test.

Let me get this straight. We are taking colour combination advice from Bletch?

Christ, can you send Ian Brady round to look after the kids while you’re at it?

7 Likes

Any idea why Bobs post hasn’t word wrapped on my mobile ? … using google on android.

Noticed it on another couple of posts today but can’t find them now

It’ok on the laptop

OK, @fowllyd , the new Stylish (with a big S) V3 style is here.

It’s experimental at the moment because I’ve never done shit like this before, but it SHOULD allow you to select some of your own colours.

The default colours reproduce my Prince hommage and are shown below.

They are incredibly cryptic but basically:

quoteback - the background colour of the region inside quoted text. Set to white to give a transparent appearance.

quotelfore - the foreground colour of links inside a region of quoted text

mentionlfore - the foreground colour of a mention that uses the user’s correct name

mentionlback - as above but background colour

uncleanfore - the foreground colour of a mention that users a name other than the user’s correct name

uncleanback - as above but background colour

outerqborder - the colour of the line around the outside of the outermost block of quoted text

innerqborder - the colour of the line around the outside of quoted text blocks that are inside other quoted blocks of text

It APPEARS that you can only set the colours when you install the theme, so to tinker with the colours you may have to remove the theme and reinstall it each time.

If this all seems like too much effort then there is an updated version of my original theme which fixes some of the bits that were broken earlier.

I’d appreciate it if you could take a look and see if the v2 theme works at least.

Thanks ta.

x

It’s all terribly exciting!

What a load of old shit.

See, this design critique lark is easy :lou_sunglasses:

I remember the days when this forum had threads in English.

Obviously that must now be illegal in PC Land

Ok here goes

التوقف عن الكتابة أشياء لا يمكننا أن نفهم

What’s not to understand? Bletch’s quest to get purple links for an audience of two is spellbinding.

He should keep writing those words.