The Sotonians Experience: Site Feedback

The only think that looks crap on mobile are quotes within quotes, and we’ve just made it piss easy to bin them off.

And in fact, I could even make them invisible beyond a certain level for all posts on mobile.

Ok. made a change so that you only see two levels of quotes on mobile, which has allowed us to space things a little nicer there.

I enjoyed that drunken swearing spree last night! But I hoped I’d imagined the boxes with borders within boxes with borders design catastrophe. Unfortunately not! In this post-truth world, even basic design principles are collapsing around us. :lou_surprised: :lou_sad:

1 Like

Very good shout, Fatso - and something that we can probably implement going forward. We’ve got links back to previous posts now, so there shouldn’t be a need to quote within quotes.

Can I solicit some other opinions on this? I think it’d really clean things up.

So how come I can edit the other quotes out then?

Easier on different devices. I like the new quote remove feature. Tons easier than the way it was before, on any device.

We’ll attempt to soldier on while you prepare the forum equivalent of the Sistine Chapel :lou_is_a_flirt:

2 Likes

Oh c’mon, Pap! At least just remove the borders! It’s just too much stuff!

Sadly the emojis also don’t work on the grey background, but I’m guessing that’s a level of detail that no one is going to care about. :lou_sad:

1 Like

Look, we’ve just managed to get @lets-b-drinking to quote his first ever post properly. The borders are a winner.

I have also made it very easy for people to trim long quoted threads, and removed the deeper stuff from mobile view.

We’ve also got working intra-linking which makes it very easy for people to follow a thread without reproducing all the content.

I can set a transparency on those gifs so they work on the grey.

Well @coxford_lou I’m sure, since you had a hand in the emojis, that if you had specified a transparent background then they would have worked on a dark background. Don’t blame the implementor for your design flaws.

Also, I like the borders! So there, you’re still @coxford_lou though :lou_is_a_flirt:

2 Likes

Have to say tho’ Lou, although aesthetically they might take some getting used to, the ‘boxes in boxes’ set up for quotes are a lot more user friendly and much easier for those of us with feeble (aging :lou_sad:) eyesight

2 Likes

The cheque is in the post, Steve.

2 Likes

Careful @steveintheforest and @pap , @saintbletch might throw his toys out of his pram and accuse us of mutual masturbation.

1 Like

Ye of absolutely no faith. Pull a proper page refresh. They look boss now.

1 Like

Still no suspicious or rolly eyes penis head though :lou_sad:

1 Like

Thanks Pap! Very clever! (Though the boxes are still looking pretty amateur - you can still achieve great usability for Steve, and look harmonious).

1 Like

:lou_eyes_to_sky:

is that rolly eyes?

Yeah they’ll do.

It’s surprised, lolling and suspicious we’re missing.

So I’ve changed the tags to be consistent with the Originally posted by bit, which people didn’t seem to moan about.

The “home” tag is the Sotonians header colour, chosen for consistency. The away tag features the actual '76 cup colours. Let’s see how we feel about it all. I’m already thinking we need a bit of vertical gap between the lines, but like the actual look of the tags themselves.