The Sotonians Experience: Site Feedback

Yes, I can edit your words but if I want to get rid of my quote from that post and just leave yours, it goes tits up. I just want to have the person I’m quoting and not all the previous posts otherwise they can be very long quotes.

2 Likes

Yes you can as cut above

Has this edited properly?

No

Very good shout, Fatso - and something that we can probably implement going forward. We’ve got links back to previous posts now, so there shouldn’t be a need to quote within quotes.

Can I solicit some other opinions on this? I think it’d really clean things up.

1 Like

Yeah this sounds good, maybe if there was a little ‘x’ in the corner of the boxes that deleted them when clicked to tidy up quoting?

6 Likes

Better solution. Introducing Don’t Quote Me , a new plugin that should be next to the normal quote button. Just click inside the quote you want to delete and click. If that quote has quotes within it, they’ll go too.

It’s very nice. It’s less shonky than putting little x’s in the corners (although I did consider this) and should help people a lot with the transition.

Thanks for the feedback, @fatso . You’ve made the world a slightly better place.

2 Likes

Also thanks @gavstar . Your post was a timely reminder that we might be taking liberties by automatically removing all inner quotes.

I do what I can Pap :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

You won’t be saying that when the old bill find your car full of planted matchday evidence and you’re looking to “do” a life term.

1 Like

The white text on black can be troublesome for people with visual impairments (rather than just drunk people).

The bold white of the person who has posted helps.

A grey background is helpful for us people with vision issues.

1 Like

Ah… yeah… good point :lou_surprised:

1 Like

I would actually love to go for a dark grey background, off white text with crimson trimmings (like the top bar).

However, I feel that with the devious assistance of @coxford_lou we’d risk @areloa-grandee

1 Like

am I doing something wrong… On my phone the twitter links show up properly but on the iPad (dolphin) they’re just the physical links that still need clicking on.

Try private browsing to see if your tablet is caching anything. Private browsing effectively puts you into clean slate mode.

I was browsing on the toilet with the door locked

6 Likes

Yeah that probably would be a step too far for me.

@pap What about a way for us to individually play with the colours? It would help the visually impaired/dyslexics out there.

1 Like

@saintbletch was suggesting a plug in you can use in chrome.

Phnarr.

@coxford_lou / @dubai_phil , IMO the concept and implementation are a huge improvement but the appearance is shocking - especially on mobile devices.

I recognise I’m fussy about such things, but all this “filled in with random colours” just distracts the eye.

An example of how my screen looks with some tweaking.

and the original

Things really go to shit for me when the @mentions names are changed.

I recognise this is all very personal and I’m not suggesting mine is better (I am, BTW) but simply try to divorce the concept from the appearance.

1 Like

The plugin is called Stylish - works in Firefox, Opera (and apparently Safari).

If you install the plugin and browse to sotonians.com, it will tell you that there is a theme available to install (the Stylish icon changes).

Install this and you get the changes I’ve shown above.

It’s pretty easy to edit the theme to change the colours - “if purple is too risque for you*”.

Unfortunately, this is all desktop only.

*I said that bit in the voice of Quentin Crisp.