🦇 The sci-fi, fantasy and capeshit thread

Hoping the budget next month will allow us to re-subscribe to Prime.
Not that I have time to watch anything atm

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1162309436612009984?s=19

2 Likes

Just done my second viewing of Spider-Man : Homecoming. Haven’t seen the new one yet, but this one is now amongst my favourite Marvel films.

The MCU has never done the origin story with this character. I don’t think it has to; everybody knows the drill. Truly likeable characters. Tom Holland is the best incarnation of the character in terms of fidelity to the source material. Michael Keaton elevates the movie with his performance as the antagonist.

Tons of genuine laugh out loud moments too, which is as it should be. The comics have that too. Hopefully there’s still somewhere playing the next movie.

Expanse S3 is just brilliant.
BUT.

This has got me looking at geo tech solutions

https://twitter.com/disneyplus/status/1165057663652134912?s=19

2 Likes

Mentioned on the other thread.

Thinking about merging the two. The only person that seemed particularly arsed was @Bearsy.

1 Like

As it hasn’t been merged.
We were off Amazon Prime for almost a year until “family” lent us a log on.
The one show I really wanted to catch up with was The Expanse.
Suffice to say, I’ve now binged to the end of S3.

S1 was “interesting”. S2 was OK, the first half of S3 was alright, then weirdly, in the middle of the season it was almost like a make over as the mainline story migrated to a whle new level with new characters and a whole new, well universe, almost.

And while it rumbled along, it built up and then the season finale.

And wow. Just brillilant.

Now I have a good reason to look forward to early December!

1 Like

Woo hoo!

BBC News - Spider-Man to stay in Marvel Cinematic Universe after Sony deal

Surprised @pap didn’t comment.
Last Spiderman movie was really enjoyable

1 Like

I am very pleased with the Spider-Man news. I genuinely think the MCU incarnation is the best ever version of the character. I understand that as part of this deal, this version of Spider-Man can appear in Sony’s Marvel films, including their own Spider-Man films.

Not only does that mean that we get more Spidey, it means that the chances of those universes eventually becoming one grows stronger.

The multiverse has already been hinted at in Spider-Man : Far From Home. Sony’s is one universe. Disney’s is another. It’d only take some technobabble and a dimensional portal, which could be made by people in either universe. Even if Peter Parker doesn’t do it, you’ve got Reed Richards on the other side.

Who had muktiverses 1st? DC or Marvel?

I believe it was DC, back in the 60s, perhaps before Marvel even got going.

I like multiverses. They’re the perfect antidote to dweebs that moan about continuity and or different character interpretations of stories that have been running for (in DC’s case) almost a hundred years.

Bob Kane Batman fought vampires, FFS.

3 Likes

Loads of spoilers/speculation

DC Legends of Tomorrow is back on Netflix
The Arrowverse resumes.
Gentle entertaining nonsense.
Like snuggling down under the Duvet on a cold Autumn night.

Legends of Tomorrow S3.
From the outset this was to me the weakest of the DC Universe, yes, worse than Supergirl mainly due to Rory from Dr Who playing Rory from Dr Who.
S3 at times rambled rumbled and repeated itself through about 4 too many episodes.
But, Rory is now a bit part so it improved as did the jokes and tbh down right silliness. We had Dr Who jokes, we had Barack Obama & Helen of Troy, we had Vikings and a Cuddly Toy.
Cowboys fighting Julius Cesear & a rather Jack Sparrow version of Blackbeard.

The end result being rather enjoyable nonsense, greatly helped by a bottle of plonk and some decent chortles at the sheer silliness.

Even the Nazi & T Rex invasions of Central City were almost perfect silliness.

IF they get to return, perhaps the weed smoking writers should be given full reign and it could become really silly.

So it was ponderous in places, silly and enjoyably light hearted nonsense, a perfect antidote to the News these days.

Next up. Happy S2

I noticed that Mars - Netflix had dropped a 2nd series.
Hadn’t bothered when I saw words docudrama earlier.
Having run out of stuff sat down with Mrs P_F and watched.
Now at Ep 6.

It is REALLY good. More an extrapomentary it does interviews with people involved in planning Mars, commercial space exploration and history proper science stuff. Elon Musk even rocks up in it.
Then moves initially to 2033 & the first trip to Mars - proper sci-fi CGI & acting.
On it’s own that part is no Matt Damon Martian quality but the combination with history & interviews really works.
Educational and entertaining & Mrs P_F loves it as well.

I
Have
Spoken.

Thanks for the help guys.
A whole new world has been discovered

2 Likes

Watchmen. A re-imagining of the comics or a sequel to the movie, who knows but it’s equally good and confusing…

Deffo worth a watch.

on a Capeshit free thread… shame on you

Not all comics are capeshit, however I think the decision was taken to allow capeshit on this thread because we could…

Meh, I’m having this conversation with myself, now, 5 years ago…

The Expanse :- Season 4 has dropped on your favourite streaming service, legal or otherwise

And news that Altered Carbon Season 2 will drop in February 2020

2 Likes

I have seen five episodes of The Mandalorian now. It’s really very good, and I’m not sure why comparisons to Star Wars animated shows are a bad thing. They’re really very good too.

This is a show clearly designed with the international audience in mind. It is very visual, and therefore not something you can “watch” while doing something else.

The fourth episode was a little meh, and seemed to be a mix of A-Team and Three Amigos plotlines, but that third episode? Hot damn. There are very few shows that evoke the innocent glee of being a small child again, and very few moments in shows. The Mandalorian has one of them.

Solid show with some epic flourishes.

1 Like