The profanity filter, and how it will work

Dick :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

ā€˜ā€˜Funk You Pap!ā€™ā€™

1 Like

Sotonians have now takenon the roll of the BBFC

Go eat pineapple you smart little suckers

I remember seeing a nigh on unwatchable cut of Robocop on ITV.

Donā€™t know why they bothered putting it on.

Thought Iā€™d add my two-penneth to the ā€œdebateā€.

I moderate on a very large, well established website. All the public forums on the site have a zero tolerance to profanity, itā€™s laid out clearly in the forum rules so everybody knows where they stand.

It worksā€¦very little intervention is needed despite 96% of the forum posters being men. The main practical reason for this zero tolerance is a large footfall also gives a large chance of a lot of people being offended by ā€œbad languageā€. This would make a lot more work for the admin teamā€¦and thereā€™s enough for them to do already with daily visitors running to 55000.

ā€¦but thereā€™s another good reason to have a ā€œfiltered versionā€ā€¦web bots search sites for ā€œprofanityā€ amongst site content, where they find it, itā€™s flagged and excluded from search results where people have settings for a ā€œsafe searchā€

Iā€™m happy to have an unfiltered siteā€¦doesnā€™t bother me but if you want to expand the number of visitors/members/participants you need the option of a filtered content.

4 Likes

I see the sense in itā€¦ but do have reservations. The main being that I chose to write what I do, and others chose to read it or not, unedited in my view. Yes there is often a high infantile profanity quotient - whether through some misguided and immature perception that it somehow adds someting comic, or through a rigorous intellectual thought process that suggests i am posting on a higher plain, **** knowsā€¦ but the point is the site a place where you go knowing what to expect, eg. watching an 18 rated Tarantino/Scorsese film, or do you want it to be Die Hard on ITV at 9pm saturady night?

Remember, the use of profantity is NOT offensiveā€¦ just some people find it offfensive. I also understand to protect kids from it as its for thier own parents to teach them when its big and when its clever to swear like a Kimo sabe.

For me the ā€˜adultā€™ perspective would be to suggest more a code - that its not banned to use profanity, but maybe we just be more selective about when its used and recognise for the site to grow it has to have broader appeal? Self policing but unedited content would be my suggestion.

I think @lifeintheslowlane has an excellent point about how we could be perceived by search bots, especially now that the site is indexed so well. That is not going to make an in-context determination. Itā€™ll be working off the balance of probabilities, and on balance, itā€™ll probably end up putting us in a profane category, if it hasnā€™t already.

I think youā€™ve got a very specific form of miffedness there, sir. You can still write whatever you like. People still have the choice to read it unfiltered or not, just as they did before. They could read it unfiltered, or not come here at all. What weā€™re now putting on the table is a third option for those that want it.

1 Like

In the cold light of sobriety Pap, I donā€™t know ! :lou_facepalm_2:

10 Likes

Do any of us, @steveintheforest ? Do any of us?

1 Like

Can we get around the swear filter?

U wouldnā€™t want someone to miss out

Nuances may missed by their removal

This might work though.

:lou_lol:

Everything is clearer when youā€™re drunk!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve got a mate that lived in the New Forest as a teenager. There were no pubs in walking distance so heā€™d pootle off to Totton and ride back pissed on his motorbike.

ā€œEvery corner was a challenge!ā€, he explained.

Iā€™ve seen the Devilā€™s twitter feed. Twitter is a synonym for weeping cuntā€™s aborted clungefest. Not a pretty sight and not one to be encouraged.

The point being that if you want to join a club you join the club you want to join, not one that you then decide needs to be changed to suit you and fuck everyone else. Iā€™d tell them to fuck off to that other forum, the name of which escapes me. They can enjoy clever debate with ā€¦ the name of everyone escapes me. So itā€™s Papā€™s forum predominantly and he gets to decide but if you really canā€™t handle debate (which is what it is) then fuck off.

Canā€™t really think of much more swearing to add, sorry.

2 Likes

We understand. Hectic job.

Fucking right on cum guzzler.

1 Like

@pap One small request for your child filter. Can you swap the word cunt for chapel Kate? In honour of the great defenfer of polite comment, not in any derogatory way. You know, a bit like Meganā€™s Law. No one should ever be allowed to change it(again, purely in her honour).

Iā€™d imagine that would make her very proud. It could catch on throughout the whole land and she would achieve the fame that anyone on twitter obviously craves.

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.

I am afraid not @saint-or-sinner . We will be using tried and tested tabloid substitutions for ye olde classics.

Turnip?

1 Like

Ok. Rather dull and unimaginative, whilst stealing chapel cunts moment in the light.

Go on, make her famous, sheā€™ll probably offer you anal :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

ATM if youā€™re luckyā€¦

1 Like