📰 The most exciting thing to happen in Salisbury since Stonehenge was created

Yeah, I believe we do. We are taught about the empire, but very little of what that actually meant or how we came to acquire that empire. We aren’t taught about the awful, awful actions of our colonial ancestors and the utter mess we made of so many countries.

I have no idea what teaching in other countries is like re: their own history. I don’t think it is particularly relevant, tbh. Even if it is bad in the places you list, which it may well be, that doesn’t really mean that ours is good.

3 Likes

The point is that it’s perhaps the definitive example of movies not just being entertainment. It’s defacto closure for something that should have been the headline event in an international criminal court.

While we’re on the subject of Boris and his Nazi comparisons, an interesting quote that makes a genuine comparison to what’s been going on for the past couple of weeks.

“The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country.”

{ Hermann Goering}

Hmm.

6 Likes

I was certainly taught about the Empire in a “good” way when I was at school but I dont think that they touched on it with my children at all. There were things that I lived through which weren’t great though. I was 8 years old when the Cuban missile crisis kicked off and remember being terrified of what might happen. I was in my late 20’s when Reagan and the Soviets had their nuclear face off and that wasnt much fun either. Bottom line is that I dont trust the Russians - full stop.

Blimey, 60 evicted from the US. 13 in Ukraine, germany and France to follow.

Has there been a co ordinated reaction like this before?

Edit:

EU members Germany, France and Poland are each to expel four Russian diplomats with intelligence agency backgrounds. Lithuania and the Czech Republic said they would expel three with Denmark, Italy and the Netherlands expelling two each.

Don’t worry, I’m sure there is no evidence for anything.

We’ve now moved on to killer front doors…

It gets more farcical by the day and loads of other countries not aligned to Russia are merrily expelling diplomats - getting bored of this may go to fiver web for a bit of footie related light relief…

New Zealand were feeling left out of world events but … :slight_frown:

1 Like

Fuck me…if they fit a profile they wouldn’t much of a spy would they. I think they mean “our Security Service isn’t much good at searching out spies. I went to their last embassy reception and they were all really nice people” :lou_facepalm_2:

Why the fuck does anyone want to spy on New Zealand?

Ah ha they’ve fooled you too. :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

http://www.moonofalabama.org/2018/03/she-is-risen-last-act-of-novichok-drama-revealed-the-skripals-resurrection.html

2 Likes

It’s a fucking Easter miracle!!!

1 Like
1 Like

Don’t suppose anyone else had noticed how all of this malarky seemed to be lifted straight out of The Blacklist Season 2?

Russian Agents, Chemical (type) Poisoning, Frame Ups?

Nah didn’t think so.

But clearly lifting the plot was much easier than the West coming up with their own ideas

1 Like
4 Likes

That’s not important news Goatboy. Now JeremyCorbyn celebrating Passover with the ‘wrong sort of Jews’, that’s proper news. Get with the programme!

3 Likes

I was under the impression that the Government was certain Porton Down could give a definitive answer

"

We have not identified the precise source, but we have provided the scientific info to [the] government who have then used a number of other sources to piece together the conclusions," Mr Aitkenhead told Sky News.

“It is our job to provide the scientific evidence of what this particular nerve agent is - we identified that it is from this particular family and that it is a military grade, but it is not our job to say where it was manufactured.”

A UK government spokesperson said that identifying the substance at Porton Down was “only one part of the intelligence picture”.

A case of the ever moving goalposts?

The BBC News at 6-0 clock completely ignored this story. Absolutely shameful. Still embarrassing themselves with more Corbyn related Anti-Semitism hysteria. They are reduced to being the propaganda arm of the ruling government, doing exactly what they are told. Sky News are headlining it, let’s see what Channel 4 do. But the days of the BBC being an unbiased and trustworthy source of news, sadly, have gone.

3 Likes