📰 The most exciting thing to happen in Salisbury since Stonehenge was created

Sorry mate, I don’t understand?

Just wondering how long it takes to put a multi part scientific documentary(that includes an app) together?

You’re in TV, don’t you interview everyone and anyone when something as big as this happens? Lots of people worth interviewing, but It seems they have all disappeared.

Have they let the Russians see the daughter yet? She is a Russian citizen.

Here’s one for those can pick language apart.

The Times on the 16th March, from Dr Stephen Davies (Consultant in Emergency Medicine, Salisbury NHS Foundation Trust):

“Sir, further to your report (Poison Exposure Leaves Nearly 40 needing Treatment), may I clarify that no patients have experienced symptoms of nerve agent poisoning in Salisbury and there have only ever been three patients with significant poisoning. Several people have attended the emergency department concerned that they may have been exposed. None has had symptoms of poisoning and none has needed treatment. Any blood tests performed have shown no abnormality. No member of the public has been contaminated by the agent involved.”

How are we supposed to take that statement?

Re above - I think it depends on whether you still look at the media through the harsh lens of cynicism that we should always have done … papers have always loved stoking up facts with a bit of hyperbole (40 folks getting checked out for possible exposure is less dramatic and sellable than 40 being ‘treated’ for contamination’ - ) nothing new in that really… it whether you prefer the conspiracy theory that it’s dodgy Government looking to fuck the Russians

Good distraction from Brexit innit… :flushed::kissing_closed_eyes:

Case can be made for both which usually means the truth is somewhere in the middle which again suits no one as it’s less dramatic.

All shades of Government have always ‘controlled’ the media to some extent whether through section D notices at one extreme or ‘Spin’ at the other so nothing in the way this has been reported should come as any surprise really

Seems consensus to accuse Russia with no evidence is crumbling

When the Fail starts mentioning it then it must be happening

The German foreign minister today said Britain should clarify the details on the Salisbury poison attack with Russia directly.

Heiko Maas said ‘all the evidence’ points to Moscow being behind the attack, which left former Russian spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia fighting for their lives.

But he also said the UK should clarify the details of the evidence they have ‘bilaterally’ with the Kremlin.

His comments can be seen as a hint that Britain will get only lukewarm support from the Germans.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5519719/German-Foreign-Minister-says-poison-attack-bilateral-issue.html#ixzz5AGZB5N8y
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

1 Like

@areloa-grandee It’s this bit. Very well worded, almost as if his lawyer wrote it, envisaging a future inquiry/court case. I’ve highlighted the words that stand out to me, but can understand how it could be interpreted differently.

may I clarify that no patient** s have experienced symptoms **** nerve **** agent poisoning **** in **** Salisbury** and there have only ever been three patients with significant poisoning.

You are right in that’s it’s well worded but a very reasonable explanation would be that this has come from a spokesman in healthcare who are very careful about public declarations for the same legal reasons. They point out that no patients presented with any ‘symptoms’ of nerve agent as opposed to stating that no patients were ‘exposed’ to a nerve agent - this is important as it means it’s possible patients could present symptoms in future that had to to manifest themselves - protecting the docs from any negligence claims…

So to me it’s a normal response from docs. The fact that the media reported a more dramatic situation was not a surprise either.

Is the Government looking to get mileage out of it? For sure, but again what is new in that given that it’s what Givernments do in such ‘opportune’ moments. … and they all do it no matter what shade

Get your point about symptoms/exposed.

Shit nerve agent if it hadn’t done it’s job by the 16th, which is just as well, because it took Public Health England a week to notify people that may have had contact to wash their clothes and, well nothing. This nerve agent gets shittier by the minute

Good job it wasn’t Novovirus otherwise the whole of Salisbury would have had it.

In other news - In this evenings Evening Standard the story has been dropped to page 8 with the story that those responsible for the “despicable and heinous” Salisbury attack will be brought to justice…but Met Assistant Commissioner said there could be months of “frustrating” delay before the investigation is completed.

The Standard has been pro Govt all along (but Russian owned?) up until today

What’s happening ?

Hmmmmmm

Likewise it’s dropping down the leaderboard of the organ of the Govt, the BBC

There’s a change in tone - seems this may just be allowed to drop out of the public consciousness…

The scientist who developed “Novichok”

Not sure it a policy change re the story, more that it is old hat and everyone is bored of it now. Ant’s alcohol addicition and Farage’s fish flinging is far more interesting

1 Like

Feck me he is cold isn’t he…

So, reading that article, why is La Murray not all over this statement?

The Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs insists that there was no research nor development of any substance called “Novichok”, not in Russia, nor in the USSR. Is that true?"

It’s obvious double speak and one he could show how intelligent he is by taking it apart.

Meanwhile after years of complaints that the high cost of parking had driven shoppers away from Salisbury, the council have made all car parks free from the weekend onwards.

So independent business owners have been hurt and now the council are losing revenues…

While May et Al score schoolkids debating points

So Theresa May is not going to ask the EU to impose further sanctions on Russia. Because a refusal often offends? They are clearly backpedalling on their ‘support’ for the UKs position because they are rapidly realising that the scenario being pushed by May and the village idiot Johnson is a load of old bollocks. Plus of course it would be a bit difficult to push for further economic sanctions when Jacob Really Smug’s company has 80 million euros invested in Sberbank, Russia’s largest bank, that has been the target of EU sanctions since 2014. This lot are completely without shame, they are taking the piss out of all of us. Could anyone explain to me why the wife of Putin’s former Finance Minister would pay 160,000 quid for a game of tennis with Boris Johnson? Over 3 million donated to the Tory Party by Russian oligarchs’ over the past few years. Lets have the names of these ‘oligarchs’, see their biographies. I bet some of that would make for interesting reading! Do they really think that the average man on the street doesn’t understand that considerations of at least equal value will be expected in return for these millions? I understand that Russian gangsters can get quite upset if they don’t get what they paid for!

I fully expect the official narrative to shift soon, to ‘look, maybe we have no evidence whatsoever that Putin is responsible for this attack in Salisbury, but Putin is an evil dictator and Jeremy Corbyn won’t stand up to evil dictators’.

Unfortunately this will be totally undermined by the fact that for years Corbyn has condemned the human rights abuses and lack of democracy in Russia virtually every time he speaks about the country. Unlike the Tory’s, who fall over themselves to take millions of their ill gotten gains.

2 Likes

This is topical!

2 Likes

Boris now agrees that Putin will use world cup like Hitler used the Olympics

Anyone that brings Hitler into an argument has lost it - the plot and argument

FFS

5 Likes

Haha…good old Godwin’s Law. :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like